Postcard photo translations

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Postcard photo translations

Post by apersico »

When my great aunt died, I received a box of old photos, including a bunch of photo postcards from Italy. I've used Google Translate to the best of my ability, but there are many words I'm having a hard time deciphering, so I'm hoping someone can help me translate all of them more accurately. I believe you can comment directly on images in Google Photos, so if you could provide the translations there, I think that might be the easiest approach.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z2VZM6y7d1umRyLK8

For context (if it helps), the photos belonged to my great grandparents Cosmo Bini and Angelina Giacovelli. Most of the photos are of Cosmo's nieces and nephew in Italy, who the living generations had no idea existed until I started analyzing all of the photos.

Cosmo's brother was Giuseppe "Giose" Bini (b.1885) and his wife was Mariuccia Grassi. They lived in Alberobello and had 3 children - Antonietta "Ninetta" Bini (b.1921), Anna Maria "Nina" Bini (b.1922), and Pietro "Pierino" Bini (b. ~1930). They are the children in most of the photos. I know that some of the larger family photos have Mariuccia's family, as Giuseppe was the only Bini who remained in Italy. There are photos of Cosmo and GIuseppe's mother Antonia Annese, but I don't believe there are any photos of their father. I was able to find Giose's grandchildren in Italy and have shown them the photos. They've been able to identify some of the people, but not everyone. Unfortunately, the ones that speak English don't speak it that well, so I've mostly been communcating with them in Italian via Google Translate, so they haven't been a big help in translating the photos.

Aside from translating the writing, I'm also curious why some of them start with "Ricordo della". Some of the photos are written on by Ninetta, but I'm not sure who wrote on the others. Perhaps Cosmo or Angelina? Google says it means "Remembrance of", so I'm wondering if Cosmo wrote these notes and it's just an old Italian way of saying "This is a photo of my sister/mother/niece/etc."... Does anyone know?

If anyone can help me out with this, I'd greatly appreciate it!
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Postcard photo translations

Post by darkerhorse »

You might also search for an historian in a library or university.

I once found an historian online at a university library who had expertise in clothing styles and cultural practices by time period.

She also happened to be an Italian-American.

She helped me successfully date some photos.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

apersico wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 16:57 Aside from translating the writing, I'm also curious why some of them start with "Ricordo della". Some of the photos are written on by Ninetta, but I'm not sure who wrote on the others. Perhaps Cosmo or Angelina? Google says it means "Remembrance of", so I'm wondering if Cosmo wrote these notes and it's just an old Italian way of saying "This is a photo of my sister/mother/niece/etc."... Does anyone know?

If anyone can help me out with this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

In the context of these lovely photos (real gifts!) I would say the best translation for the word “ricordo” would be “a momento” or “a keepsake”. “A reminder” maybe less so, although that’s what they are.

I have a lot of photos from Italia sent from family to my parents beginning with the word “Ricordo…” or "Un ricordo..." or "Nu ricordo..." written on the back as well. I also have gifts from my nonna and zii/zie which my parents brought back from Italia with them for me and each of these gifts had a note attached to the gift starting with eg. “Ricordo….” To me they are items that I treasure and remember them by (eventhough I never had the the opportunity to meet them).

Re translating the messages on the back of the photos, I’d be happy to chip away at them and give you my interpretation of what each one says, but I’m not comfortable doing it on Google Photos. I would just type them up here. Let me know, here through the forum, if that works for you.

(Just remember that personal letters and notes arn’t always the easiest to translate because you are having to decipher unfamiliar script, sometimes the writer’s grammar/spelling is not so good, or just written phonetically, and sometimes “local” words are used in place of Italian words, which will also be why google translate doesn’t work so well.)

Angela
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I try, though I don't know if my English translation will sound fit

1) Ricordo dei tuoi nipoti Lina e Franco. Saluti con affetto
"A keepsake from your nipoti Lina and Franco. Loving greetings"

"Nipote", as you may know is used to mean nieces and nephews, as whell as a grandchild.
In this case the meaning can be understood through the addressee of the picture. Also, I guess only one of the spouses is a "nipote", the other will be an in-law. Unless, they are not spouses, but a bride with her brother.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

2) Cara sorella, conosci il tuo vestito, e mi vesto della vostra roba e Dio vi darà fortuna per sempre e vi fa passare bene quanto desiderate
"Dear sister, you know your dress, I'm wearing your stuff, and God will send you luck forever, and will give you what you wish."
I guess the dress was sent to Italy as a gift, and the woman in the photo wanted to show her sister that she actually used it.

apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by apersico »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 03:28 In the context of these lovely photos (real gifts!) I would say the best translation for the word “ricordo” would be “a momento” or “a keepsake”. “A reminder” maybe less so, although that’s what they are.

I have a lot of photos from Italia sent from family to my parents beginning with the word “Ricordo…” or "Un ricordo..." or "Nu ricordo..." written on the back as well. I also have gifts from my nonna and zii/zie which my parents brought back from Italia with them for me and each of these gifts had a note attached to the gift starting with eg. “Ricordo….” To me they are items that I treasure and remember them by (eventhough I never had the the opportunity to meet them).

Re translating the messages on the back of the photos, I’d be happy to chip away at them and give you my interpretation of what each one says, but I’m not comfortable doing it on Google Photos. I would just type them up here. Let me know, here through the forum, if that works for you.
I assumed that because several of the photos started with Ricordo that it must be some sort of common practice in Italy, at least at the time. So thanks for confirming! Based on what you said, and that your parents received them with this writing already, I guess it will be almost impossible to figure out who wrote on them, unless they use some clues in the description.

Please feel free to comment with your translations. I only gave the suggestion to comment there because I thought it might be easier than having to come back to the forum. If anything seems unclear, I'm happy to provide more context on who I know/believe the person in the photo is in relation to my great grandparents.

Thanks for your insight and help!
apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by apersico »

PippoM wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:00 I try, though I don't know if my English translation will sound fit

1) Ricordo dei tuoi nipoti Lina e Franco. Saluti con affetto
"A keepsake from your nipoti Lina and Franco. Loving greetings"

"Nipote", as you may know is used to mean nieces and nephews, as whell as a grandchild.
In this case the meaning can be understood through the addressee of the picture. Also, I guess only one of the spouses is a "nipote", the other will be an in-law. Unless, they are not spouses, but a bride with her brother.
Thank you, this is helpful! I have no idea who these people are, and if they are a couple or siblings. I haven't come across anyone named Lina or Franco, but the fact that it appears to have been taken in Locorotondo leads me to believe that it was my great grandmother's side of the family. She had a sister who stayed in Italy (her parents and other siblings came to the US). So perhaps this is her granddaughter/son. Or the writing belongs to my great grandmother and this is her niece/nephew...I'm not sure what decade this would likely be from, based on the clothing style. Any ideas?
apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by apersico »

PippoM wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 11:05 2) Cara sorella, conosci il tuo vestito, e mi vesto della vostra roba e Dio vi darà fortuna per sempre e vi fa passare bene quanto desiderate
"Dear sister, you know your dress, I'm wearing your stuff, and God will send you luck forever, and will give you what you wish."
I guess the dress was sent to Italy as a gift, and the woman in the photo wanted to show her sister that she actually used it.
Thank you, again! I think this is my great grandmother's sister Maria, as it's addressed to "sister", and she did have a sister who remained in Italy (as I mentioned in my previous post). I wonder if the couple in the other photo are either her daughter/son or granddaughter/grandson. The third photo is signed Maria, so if these are the same woman, that would all make sense.
apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by apersico »

darkerhorse wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 18:43 You might also search for an historian in a library or university.

I once found an historian online at a university library who had expertise in clothing styles and cultural practices by time period.

Thank you, I might look into this. I work at a university library and had asked a librarian for assistance once several years ago on how to date clothing styles, but she wasn't much help. Maybe I'll need to do some googling. Any chance that you remember the person you talked to before, or if they'd still be around?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

apersico wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 02:42
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 03:28 In the context of these lovely photos (real gifts!) I would say the best translation for the word “ricordo” would be “a momento” or “a keepsake”. “A reminder” maybe less so, although that’s what they are.

I assumed that because several of the photos started with Ricordo that it must be some sort of common practice in Italy, at least at the time. So thanks for confirming! Based on what you said, and that your parents received them with this writing already, I guess it will be almost impossible to figure out who wrote on them, unless they use some clues in the description.

Please feel free to comment with your translations. I only gave the suggestion to comment there because I thought it might be easier than having to come back to the forum. If anything seems unclear, I'm happy to provide more context on who I know/believe the person in the photo is in relation to my great grandparents.

Thanks for your insight and help!

You are very welcome and I'm very happy to help. I love photos, and my mum, God bless her, just loved her "little box brownie" camera, which we still have, and was always taking photos. There is so much of our history preserved through her photographs. Looking through them, they bring back so many memories.... (I use to feel sorry for my late husband as he only had about four photos of himself as a child and I have so many, and I've kept the tradition going with my family, and send "momentos" off to my children via messenger every now and then, just like mum use to do. It's a great tradition.

Yesterday, I did make a little start on the translations and I notice that Pippo has started as well, and I really love the way he is doing it, writing both the Italian and the English and giving an explanation as well. I've also typed up the Italian and the English but will just note my interpretation below. Some of the script is tricky so I may not have the words correct. Anyways, here goes:

3. My dear sister, this is me, your sister, Maria.

4. Correggia, 21 May 1938?

5. Cigaga? Not sure about this one.

6. A momento of your acquainted or known sister-in-law. Maria Bini. Addressed to: Signora Angelina Giocovelli.
(Someone has writen "sister Maria Italy")

7. Do you know who these two are? (Or maybe it is meant to be "Do you recognise who these two are"?)

8. A momento of your mother at about the age of 70, taken on 15 June 1922. (Written in English: Gramma (Annesse) Beni Antonette)

Will continue in next post because sometimes our posts just disappear before we've finished.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Continuing on:

9. Dearest Uncle
Here I send you my small photograph, although I feel bad that they are not? photographs of Italy.?
Greetings and kisses to all, your dear nipotina. Merry Christmas.
(In English is written: Cousin in Italy. (last name Rosato))

10. A momento of your nipotina, Antonia Bini, of age 10 months, born on 19 August 1921.
(In English is written: Antonietta "Ninetta" Bini, Age 10 months, born Aug 19, 1921).

11. A momento of your Aunt Vita Sgobba.
Addressed to Angelina and Cosimo? Bini

12. My youngest daughter, Nina Maria.

13. Dear Uncle, here I am posting a small photograph, taken by coincidence? by chance?, because a photographer was passing by, who wanted to take a picture of all three of us, near a rose plant, that is right under nonna's window.

14. Antonetta Annesse Bino - It's all in English.

15. Christmas 1939
We send you this our photograph.
We wish you a good Christmas and a good start to the year.
A momento of your nipoti Nanetta, Nina and Pierino.

16. My daughter Antonietta with her husband.
(In English: cousin in Italia on Angelina's side.)

17. A momento of your nipoti Nanetta and Nina.
The one remaining is a nipota of mine?

18. We are sending you a photograph taken with Uncle Rufino.
At the right of the Uncle there is me, at the left to the .......? my sister NIna.

Hope this helps some how.

Angela
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 04:17

4. Correggia, 24 May 1938 I can't find a place named Correggia...

5. Cigaga? Not sure about this one I wonder what they meant, too.

6. A momento of your acquainted or known sister-in-law. Maria Bini. Addressed to: Signora Angelina Giocovelli.
(Someone has writen "sister Maria Italy") as the picture is torn, it might even have been "sconosciuta" = "unknown", in the sense of "never met"

7. Do you know who these two are? (Or maybe it is meant to be "Do you recognise who these two are"?) or even "I let you know these two"

8. A momento of your mother at about the age of 70, taken on 15 June 1922. (Written in English: Gramma (Annesse) Beni Antonette)

Will continue in next post because sometimes our posts just disappear before we've finished.

Angela

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Angela, I try to give my contribution...
However, apersico has a treasure! :)
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 04:38 Continuing on:

9. Dearest Uncle
Here I send you my small photograph, although I feel bad that they are not? photographs of Italy.? I understand, but not easy to explain..."benché sto male, che vuoi, sono fotografie dall'Italia" I'd say "though I look bad, what can you do? It's a picture from Italy" meaning that photo printing quality in Italy was not as good as in the USA, at that time
Greetings and kisses to all, your dear nipotina. Merry Christmas.
(In English is written: Cousin in Italy. (last name Rosato))

10. A momento of your nipotina, Antonia Bini, of age 10 months, born on 19 August 1921.
(In English is written: Antonietta "Ninetta" Bini, Age 10 months, born Aug 19, 1921).

11. A momento of your Aunt Vita Sgobba.
Addressed to Angelina and Cosimo? Cosimino? Bini

12. My youngest daughter, Anna Maria.

13. Dear Uncle, here I am posting a small photograph, taken by chance, because a photographer was passing by, who wanted to take a picture of all three of us, near a rose plant, that is right under nonna's window.

14. Antonetta Annesse Bino - It's all in English.

15. Christmas 1939
We send you this our photograph.
We wish you a good Christmas and a good start to the year.
A momento of your nipoti Nanetta, Nina and Pierino.Note: The child wearing a uniform and saluting the fascist way is typical of those years in Italy

16. My daughter Antonietta with her husband.
(In English: cousin in Italia on Angelina's side.)

17. A momento of your nipoti Nanetta and Nina.
The one in the middle is a nipota of mine?

18. We are sending you a photograph taken with Uncle Rufino.
At the right of the Uncle there is me, at the left to the .......maybe "alla punta" "the last at the left my sister NIna.

Hope this helps some how.

Angela

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 11:41
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 04:17

4. Correggia, 24 May 1938 I can't find a place named Correggia...
I think they have mispelt the name and it should be Coreggia: http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/puglia ... eggia.html

5. Cigaga? Not sure about this one I wonder what they meant, too. Unless it is Cigago? and for fun they have intended to write Chicago. The photo is obviously taken in Italia. Just a thought.

(Someone has written "sister Maria Italy") as the picture is torn, it might even have been "sconosciuta" = "unknown", in the sense of "never met" Yes, "sconosciuta" would make much better sense. Thank you, Pippo.

7. Do you know who these two are? (Or maybe it is meant to be "Do you recognise who these two are"?) or even "I let you know these two"I remember mum sometimes showing me photos and using this same, or similar wording, and she was asking whether I recognised the people in the photo, so that's where my thinking here came from.

Angela

Angela
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

apersico wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 02:52
darkerhorse wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 18:43 You might also search for an historian in a library or university.

Thank you, I might look into this. I work at a university library and had asked a librarian for assistance once several years ago on how to date clothing styles, but she wasn't much help. Maybe I'll need to do some googling. Any chance that you remember the person you talked to before, or if they'd still be around?
I used to communicate with her at her job by email. She has since left her job and I've lost contact with her. I don't recall how I found her but it was by searching on the Internet.