Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Hi.
I'm having trouble understanding a birth record in Italian.
I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at it for me.
I tried uploading it but it says it's too big. So, I put it on my website.
It started on the bottome of one page and continued onto the top of the next.
this is a transcription of Michele Ciriellos’s birth record...
[Italy1]
L’anno 1872, il giorno 21 del mese di aprile nella casa comunale alle ore 10 antimeridiane dinnanzi a me Ambrogio Romano segretario patentato reggente la segreteria di questo comune di Grottaminarda Circondario di Ariano, Provincia di Principato Ultra [?], delegato a compiere le funzioni di Ufficiale dello Stato Civile per gli atti di nascita o di morte dal Signor Regio Delegato Straordinario di questo Comune con atto del 10 aprile corrente anno, ed approvato dal Signor Procuratore del Re ad undici detto mese ed anno.
So:
Child: Michele Ciriello, born on 20 april 1872, at 7 p.m.
Father: Pasquale Ciriello. He is 42 years old, living in Grottaminarda, at S. Lucia street! He’s a farmer. Illitterate.
Mother: Maria Michele Blasi, living in Grottaminarda, at S. Lucia street! She’s a peasant.
Pasquale father’s name is Carmine
Maria Michele father’s name is Francesco
Just a note to add to what Maria wrote. The word fu follows the name of Maria and Pasquale. That means the named father is deceased at the date the record was created. If he was alive the word di would have been used.
I have found noting the use or fu or di very helpful in narrowing down dates in my Italian research.
Thank you Maria and VaDeb! That was very kind of you to help.
And, you confirmed my suspicions. I was hoping that was the grandparent's names. And, I had the month right but not the number.
The typical Italian lineage dates from circa 1600, and for most of us that's reasonably profound. But who wants to be "typical" when you might be able to trace a lineage into the 1500s or even into the Middle Ages? Because success in this field requires practice and perseverance, as well as skills m...