Translation of Birth Record - Rosa Gandolfo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Road2Gandolfo
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of Birth Record - Rosa Gandolfo

Post by Road2Gandolfo »

I attempted to translate the birth record below but am not sure I got the date and time of birth correct. I believe the date and time are April 6th at five o' clock a.m. Can someone take a look and confirm for me? Thank you!

Name: Rosa Gandolfo

Record can be found on page 137, number 637

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 61/5VMRNWv

In the year one thousand eight hundred and eighty-nine, on the seventh day of April at eleven o'clock in the morning, in the Communal House.

Before me Pietro Pugliese Secretary at the first legion, delegated by an Act on the eighteenth of April 1883 already approved Civil Status Officer of the Municipality of Marsala, appeared Vincenzo Gandolfo, aged twenty-three, peasant farmer, domiciled in Marsala, who declared to me that at five o'clock in the morning of yesterday of the current month, in the house located in villa Marinella, no number given, from Francesca Arini, his wife domiciled with him was born a child of the Feminine sex whom he introduced to me, and to whom he gives the name Rosa

Present as witnesses to the above and to this act were Pietro Scavone, aged thirty-two years, peasant farmer, and Vincenzo Marino, aged twenty-eight years, peasant farmer, both residing in this municipality.

Having read this document to those present, they said that they did not know how to write, and therefore it was signed by me only.

The Offical: P. Pugliese
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Translation of Birth Record - Rosa Gandolfo

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You have time and date of birth correct – 6 April 1889 at 5 am

The occupation of each man mentioned was “villico” i.e. tenant farmer

You’ve missed what looks to be a marriage annotation in the margin under the Act No and child’s name. I’m reading that she married with Pietro Cato on 26 December 1907.

The word before delegato is “Sezione” not “legione”

I think it would sound better if you dropped the “o’clock” and “in the morning” and just use am and pm.

Well done :)

Angela
Road2Gandolfo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Road2Gandolfo »

yes, thank you! I have to remember to drop the o'clock. I will update my notes

For the occupation "villico" I find different translations based on each website I visit. One translates it as farmer and another lists it as peasant villager. Is tenant farmer the proper way to say it? I think it is best to use your translation because you know the language better than a website :)

For "Sezione" is the word 'division' appropriate to use in this translation?

I did find the marriage record and the script is very difficult to read, similar to the marriage pubblication. It may take me a while but I will try to translate

Thank you so much
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Road2Gandolfo wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 03:43 yes, thank you! I have to remember to drop the o'clock. I will update my notes

For the occupation "villico" I find different translations based on each website I visit. One translates it as farmer and another lists it as peasant villager. Is tenant farmer the proper way to say it? I think it is best to use your translation because you know the language better than a website :) No don't use my one in this case. I'm totally wrong. The colono is the tenant farmer, while the villico would be much poorer, so peasant farmer or farmer. You were completely correct. Humble apologies :oops:

For "Sezione" is the word 'division' appropriate to use in this translation? That sounds right.

I did find the marriage record and the script is very difficult to read, similar to the marriage pubblication. It may take me a while but I will try to translate Good on you Christine. I admire your tenacity. :)

Thank you so much

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

"villico" is just a person who lives in the countryside
"colono" is a person who cultivates, under a contract, lands that are not their own
They are both farmers. Hard to say who is richer or poorer.
Road2Gandolfo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Road2Gandolfo »

Thank you. That helps it make sense
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thanks LIvio.