Translation help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dennish

Translation help

Post by dennish »

Can anyone give me a rough translation of this segment from a birth certificate? A few words are difficult to read, so they may be incorrect. Thanks!

....e mi hamio(?) dichiarato lo sposo essere nato in grotteria, la sposa in gioiosa jonica. avere avuto essi sposida(?) un anno ad oggi la residenza nol comune di gioiosa jonica, non avere padre ne' madre adottivi non ostare al loro matrimonio aloun impedimente di parentela o di afinita, ne' altro impedimente stabilito dalla legge....
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

"....AND THEY DECLARED THE BRIDEGROOM TO BE BORN IN GROTTERIA AND THE BRIDE TO BE BORN IN GIOISA JONICA HAVING BEEN MARRIED(?) ONE YEAR AND TODAY IN RESIDENCE IN THE TOWN OF GIOISA JONICA NOT HAVING ANY ADOPTIVE FATHER OR MOTHER TO IMPEDE THEIR MARRIAGE NOR IMPOSE ANY PARENTAL IMPEDIMENT NOR ANY OTHER IMPEDIMENT PROVIDED BYT LAW.
Peter
dennish

Post by dennish »

Thanks Peter, That was more like a "smooth" translation! Does this mean that they were actually married one year already, previous to the date of this document? The main concern that I had was whether or not the groom was born in Grotteria. I think you confirmed my own crude translation. Thanks again!

Dennis
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

if you csan e-mail me the document then I can be certain since I can read "old italian script" fairly well. The word you used is non -existent (sposida) which I take it married but who knows I could be wrong. Peter
dennish

Post by dennish »

Looking again, it appears that sposida is actually "two" words, ..."sposi da" un anno. I think that means spouses for one year, yes? I will try to scan and email this document, soon, since there is quite a bit more written. It is the certificate of my grandparents, Vincenzo Agostino, and Maria Rosa Prudente. The copy is somewhat fuzzy. Thanks Peter!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

That must be it then but send it along and perhaps I can amplify. Peter
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hello.
Peter's translation is substantially correct, as usual, except from some mispelling in original transcription. This is a typical example of "burocratese", the absolutely peculiar and hardly understandable language of the Italian public administration.
Here is what I think to be the original version of the document, with the best translation I could make.
Ciao, Maurizio

....e mi hanno dichiarato =....AND THEY DECLARED TO ME:
- lo sposo essere nato in Grotteria = THE BRIDEGROOM TO BE BORN IN GROTTERIA
- la sposa (essere nata) in Gioiosa Jonica = THE BRIDE (TO BE BORN) IN GIOIOSA JONICA
- (mi hanno dichiarato) essi sposi avere avuto da un anno ad oggi la residenza nEl comune di Gioiosa Jonica = THE BETROTHED TO HAVE HAD SINCE ONE YEAR THEIR RESIDENCE IN THE TOWN OF GIOIoSA JONICA
- (mi hanno dichiarato essi sposi) non avere padre ne' madre adottivi = NOT HAVING ANY ADOPTIVE FATHER OR MOTHER
- (mi hanno dichiarato essi sposi) non ostare al loro matrimonio alcun impedimentO di parentela o di afFinitA', ne' altro impedimente stabilito dalla legge.... NOT TO BE FORBID THEIR WEDDING BY ANY IMPEDIMENT OF KINSHIP OR RELATIONSHIP NOR BY ANY OTHER IMPEDIMENT PROVIDED BY LAW
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The poster of this inquiry is a lucky guy since he got two for the price of one and one better than the other. Hope your doing well Maurizio. Things here in NY are going fine despite la pazzia! Regards Peter
dennish

Post by dennish »

Thank you both gentlemen!!

Dennis
dennish

Post by dennish »

Peter, I am the one who sent you the birth certificate via email
Dennis
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Got it! Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The e-mail material you sent is to big to read and I really don't have the time to translate the marriage record you sent word for word. May I suggest that you go to the library or a bookstore and purchase the book Italian Genealogical records by Trafford Cole which will not only explain the "legalese" but give you an expolanation of Italian birth,marrriage and death records as well. Peter