Seeking Italian Military service information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
juup

Post by juup »

Chasing the family again.

I am seeking advice on wether there are any sites on the net that are helpful in finding any information on individuals who served in Italian Forces, also any nominall rolls.

Specifically for the First World War and also for service with Italian Forces throughout up to 1950, including the Second World War. This request covers Air, Land and Sea service.

I do not require any service information for persons who served with the RSI (Italian Social Republic) forces. I am also interested in records for persons who served with Co-Beligerent Forces after the Italian surrender on the 8th of September 1943.

If there aren't any sites on the net for this, which organisations should I contact to pursue this?

TIA,

:)
Jo.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Military records are held by military districts and these districts are in each province. A copy of military records are made available after 75 years when they are moved to provincial archives and made available to the public. Each provincial archiuve has the records of the military distrcit eithin its propvincial boundires. Service records are called "registro di ruolo" and contain details of a man's military service. I don't know off hand wht orghanziations other than Italian POW's who were interned in the USA during WW11 can assist you but I will have to research and get back to you. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

sent you relevant information direct to your e-mail. Please let me know if you want provincial archive addresses. Peter
SylviaVitale

Post by SylviaVitale »

Peter, Do I understand you to say the military records still held by military districts are not yet accessible? (My father served there in WWII.) Thank you, Sylvia
SylviaVitale

Post by SylviaVitale »

Oops - pardon me. I believe you've already answered my question in another post. I misunderstood? You were just differentiating where to seek out the records depending on how long ago it was? Sylvia
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

see my first response to you. Peter
pequele

Capo dell' Ordine di Vittorio Veneto awards and medals

Post by pequele »

I too am trying to find out about some awards and medals some of my family members were awarded. Both were in the cavaliere. A great uncle of mine has these in his possesion but I would like to know more about each medal and the award plus these family members' service in the Italian military.

Thanks
Stephanie
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Stephanie go to the internet or www.google.com and look up Italy medals and decorations. Peter