Surname Lertora

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
webdivauk

Surname Lertora

Post by webdivauk »

This is a previously unknown surname for me. Can anyone give me some background information for it?

Secondly where is zoagli ?

Thanks
Sian
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

*0% of the Lertora surnamed persons currently reside in the Genova Province of the Liguria region. A few others are scattered thru out the remaining provinces of Liguria. Zoiagli is a town in the province of Genova and has postal code 16030. Peter
webdivauk

Post by webdivauk »

I also have Ciliyia per Cichero written on some very old documents. Does this mean that they came to Cichero from Ciliyia? if so do you happen to know where Ciliyia is?

Thanks
Sian
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Cichero is a surname in the Ligurian region and predominantlyh in the Genova province. There is no word for Ciliyia as a name,place or thing. TGhere is, however, a town in the adjoingin region of Piemonte in the Cuneo province called Ciglie (pronounced in english as chill-yeh). It is a wild card I admit but its the best without seeing the document. If you wish you can e-mail a copy to me and perhaps I can dsicern something....By the way what is this for?? Peter
webdivauk

Post by webdivauk »

I was lucky enough to be contacted by a relative I didn't know existed. He had been in contact with an Aunt of mine whose Mother wrote to my relatives in Italy on a regular basis. Thankfully He wrote down the names of relatives during one particular visit as the documents were lost during a house move. I'm just looking up (with your help) the information he recorded so that I can write and hopefully make contact with other relatives.

This is what was emailed to me:
Sig Antonio Monteverde Ciliyia per Cichero
Cichero Celesia
Genoa Mothers cousin

Sig Luigi Lertora & Giuseppina Lertora
San Colombano
Certmoll Per
San Martino. Cousins
[/quote]
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

So glad for you. Did you discover what chiliyia is?? Peter
webdivauk

Post by webdivauk »

ptimber wrote:So glad for you. Did you discover what chiliyia is?? Peter
I looked up per in my Italian dictionary and the rough translation which I though applicable was 'through'. I know that my g-g-g-grandfather came from San Martino in Bavaggi so it wasn't a suprise to find similar with the Lertoras. I could be putting 1 + 1 and getting 3 though. It's just so difficult getting any information at all from living relatives in Italy.

No idea what Ciliyia is I'm assuming it's a phonetic spelling of a town or village.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

lots of luck to you.Peter