Searching for DiBattista's/ Abruzzi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sherry4u

Searching for DiBattista's/ Abruzzi

Post by sherry4u »

I am trying to trace back to my grandfather's parents. I do not have their names to even begin to find them. My Grandfather's name was Carmine DiBattista believed to have lived in Francovilla, Pescara Abruzzi. He left Italy when 16 or 19 yrs of age and settled in Canada unsure of date-(1901,1906,1909??). Married Lauretta Lenzi (Date unknown) whom he met on Dufferin St Toronto, and they had 8 sons and two daughters. He died in 1949 at either 53 or 55 years of age, my grandmother in 1987. If someone knew of this family or of a living relative still in Italy please email me. This is my first post, so hope I it makes some sense!
Thank you!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Searching for DiBattista's/ Abruzzi

Post by nuccia »

Hi Sherry..Dufferin St is very close to me..did they marry at St Mary of the Angels Church? Marriage records are available and could state the parents names on it.

Will have a look to see if we can help find a ship manifest that might hold some clues..

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Here's a link to the Italian Phone listings. You would have to play around with it by inserting the surname you seek and then seeing if you get any hits.

Paginebianche

Do you have any other information like a year of birth or chidrens names? If he arrived prior to 1911 he should be on a census....

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I found this interesting manifest..need input..

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943 Recordinfo
about Carnnie Dibattista
Name: Carnnie Dibattista
Arrival Date: 11 Aug 1912
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Canopic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Matteo Giortanio
Last Residence: Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 181

Carmine Manifest

Page 2

Father Pietro in Pescara going to Toronto...to 1452 Dufferin St in Toronto to meet his friend Di Matteo Giovanni.(?)

I would also look at the person travelling with if on line 6 also from Pescara, and also going to Dufferin Street in Toronto.

Maria...did I miss anything? You can read these manifests better so would you mind having a look?

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Here's a map of the address...its not far from the Church I had mentioned..which is at 1477 Dufferin Street, Toronto, Ontario M6H 4C7..Davenport and Dufferin..I was baptized there and my parents were also married there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=14 ... ntario,+CA

If they lived and died in the area there is a possibility that they were buried in the nearby cemetary and I can make a call for you to confirm..I believe the name of the cematery is Prospect...

Hope this helps.. :D

nuccia :D
sherry4u

Post by sherry4u »

Fantastic Nuccia! So much helpful info and so quickly! My Grandfather's first son was named Peter, one of his daughters he named Anna. Many of the family events took place at St Marys, Dufferin-weddings, baptisms (mine in fact!).
You mention he was travelling with someone going to the same address on Dufferin. I recall a past email from an aunt saying he met his wife when living in a boarding house on Dufferin.
Thank you so very much!!! I guess it is pretty obvious how new I am at this !
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Not to worry..we all started somwhere!

Good possibly one of your Grandmothers were named Anna...but don't quote me on that one!

Since you're in the area you can now make some phone calls to see if you can get any of the documents (like death records)...you could always call the cemetary and see if they can help you. They're usually pretty good.

Let us know if you need anything else. I also sent you a PM>>>

nuccia
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Yes I too know St. Mary's of the Angels...

I also helped my friends on Beaver St... (Beaver Bread Bakery....) not too far from the church... when I was a kid...

My Stepmother (also my aunt) married my Dad there..., and my own husband was also Baptized there...

You know...with all the churches in our city... that one seems to be an old time favorite eh??

On line 6 of the manifest, I read 1475 Dufferin St...

Hey what's that cemetery that stretches from St. Clair all the way to Eglinton.... oh there it is on the map... Prospect Cemetery... just like you said Nuccia...

I lived on ( Old ) Dufferin St. for 18 years... and it was considered farmland at one time... now Downsview Subway Station area....

Also went to Vaughan Rd. C. I.

Hey Nuccia, where did you attend High School?

How about you sherry4u?

Maria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

When I decided to show up att school :oops: I went to George Harvey..really wanted to go to York Memo but I had to go where my sister went. Did however spend alot of time at Oakwood and Western Tech hanging out...

What I wouldn't give to go back and change things... :cry: Maybe thats why I went back to College now...

Your turn Sherry.. :D

nuccia
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Vaughan had a great band, Oakwood had a great basketball team, Central Tech had guys with math skills, but Harvey had the good looking guys... :lol:

And as for York Memo... spent 2 summers there... don't ask.... :oops:

Maria

ok Sherry, you get 2 turns...

Hey... anyone remember the Fairbanks Lumber Yard Fire??
sherry4u

Post by sherry4u »

Wow, lots to answer LOL! I moved to Markham so I did not attend any of these Toronto Schools-but I am sure my parents and/or their siblings did.

MFJP: you mentioned Beaver Bread-my Dad worked there as a kid. He told a story about a fire and getting the horses out (they used horses to deliver the bread, so long time ago). His name was Louis (louie) and he dropped the Di and went by Battista. Small world!
Sharon
Jakey

Post by Jakey »

Could I have a look at the Carmine DiBattista manifest please?
Thanks,
Jakey
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Jakey wrote:Could I have a look at the Carmine DiBattista manifest please?
Thanks,
Jakey
Hi Jakey!
Here you go, new links
If you need anything else, we'd be happy to help
But, you may want to start your own post.
Thanks!
Valarie

1912 manifest
page 2
Jakey

Post by Jakey »

Thank you so much.
Jakey