Italian Archive System ?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Markneth

Italian Archive System ?

Post by Markneth »

I am from the Netherlands, and I will be in Italy this Summer (July 2003) and in the area where one of my ancestors comes from. While I am there I would like to try and find some more information about his parents. Unfortunatly I hardly speak any Italian.

I have a lot of experience in visiting archives in the Netherlands and Belgium but I am unfamiliar with the archive system in Italy and would appreciate any advice.

I am looking for his parents' marriage around 1795 possibly in the village of Cressogno (nowadays part of San Mamete, province of Como) for which probably church records may be available, but where?

At the time of the marriage of my ancestor in the Netherlands (1832) his parents were living in Milano. I expect them to have died there after 1832 and before 1870. Does anyone know how at that time in Milano death certificates were made (Civil/Church?) and where you would be able to search them?

Thank you,
Mark

In more detail the data of the individuals I am looking for:
Nome e cognome: Carlo POZZI
Data di nascita: 23 settembre 1796
Luogo di nascita: Cressogno in Valsolda, Provincia di Como, Distretto VI di Porlezza (al giorno d'oggi la Comunità di San Mamete)
Nome e cognome del padre: Giovanni Domenico POZZI
Nome e cognome della madre: Vittoria RAGNI
In 1823 Carlo POZZI was living in Milano and then left for Holland (eventually).
In 1832 Giovanni Domenico POZZI & Vittoria RAGNI were still living in Milano.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 26 Persons in Valsolda surnamed Pozzi and there are two churches (one with a priest in residence). Go to www.paginebianche.it and insert Pozzi in the frist line and Valsolde in the third line and click CERCA for the listing of the 26. If you substitute the word Parrocchia in the first line keeping Valsolde in the third line the names and addresses and telephopne numbers of the two churches will come up. Apparently Valsolde is used for directory purposes.

Normally civil records at that time would be in churches.however,m since that area of the world had fluid border changes and foreign domination, civil records may be housed, if still available, in the churches or municipal archives. If you go to www.comuni.it and insert either Cresssogno in Valsolde or just valsolde in the upper right hand corner a screen will show up and click agin on the name for the municipal authorities and possible e-mail and www addresses where you can ask about records prior to your arrival. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The Municipal center is Porlezza Postale 22018 and if you go to www.comuni.it and bring up the Porlezza screen you then can send them an e-mail for Valsolde. Just type in Porlezza in the upper right hand side of the www. comuni .it screen and then click on the name when that appears and that will give you the municipal information with an e-mail to send. There is no URL or website for the town of Porlezza. Peter
Markneth

Post by Markneth »

Thank you Peter! Especially the tip for finding the communities was a big help. I found them both (Milan and Porlezza) and will try to send them both an e-mail first before turning to the churces in the White Papers.

I am puzzled by the name too, sometimes it's Valsolda, sometimes Porlezza and in the village itself there is a sign with Cressogno. I know, because I've been there before. Didn't try to find the archives then. But with your help it must be possible to find out where to look before I get there now.

Thanks again!
Mark
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Porlezza is the town and Cressogno in valsolde may be a suburb or village adminsiutratiuvely dependent on Porlezza. San Mamete may also be a suburb or a nearby hamlet or village also dependent upon Porlezza for municipal administration. Peter
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hello to both of you.

- I did a quick search on the web and I have first of all to congratulate
Mark: his ancestor's hometown seems to be a really wonderful place.

- I totally agree with Peter's suggestions to contact local parish churches.

- For what I could find, both Cressogno and San Mamete were once autonomous towns, but since 1927 they are sections of the town of VALSOLDA. Porlezza is the closest town to Valsolda but its jurisdiction shouldn't nowadays have nothing to do with VALSOLDA (and with Cressogno and San Mamete). For a better comprehension, here is a map of the area:
http://utenti.lycos.it/paolo_ostinelli/157/2.htm

- So, Mark, if I was in your shoes I would write an e-mail to the City hall of Valsolda asking them if there are separate archives for Cressogno and San Mamete, and where these registers are kept. The address is:
Comune di VALSOLDA
Via Bellotti, 21
22010 - Valsolda (CO)
Tel. 0344-68121
Telefax 0344-68834
E-mail: comvals@yacc.it

- LDS microfilmed some civil registers (but probably of a period not interesting for your search) and here is the link to them:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ns=*,180,0

- Here are some other links I found on the Internet: the first two are in Italian, but they have some interesting pics, the third is of a dutch website (I couldn't understand what is about, but you'll probably will):

http://www.co.camcom.it/comuni/comuni_s ... lsolda.htm

http://www.corrierecomo.it/index2.cfm?ID=253

http://www.fundadore.nl/steden/Stedense ... lHotID=226

Hope this helps.
Ciao, Maurizio
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Good man Maurizio...it like the cinema..you are our man in Havana except you are our man in bell'Italia....how are you now that the spring time has sprung and the sap is flowing! Tante belle cose. Peter