Urrata from Lentini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ceil23
Rookie
Rookie

Urrata from Lentini

Post by ceil23 »

:roll:

I am working on my family tree, on my mothers side...her father Cirino Urrata I cannot find a record in Ellis Island, did find my grandmother's Lucrezia Martinez( Martino??) two son's she traveled with....they mispelled Lentini, spelling it as Sentini on the passenger list....the boys were Francesco age 4 and Fildepfo age 1, ( family says he was 2) the date of their arrival was on May 6th, 1909 on the ship Lazio.....They came in through Ellis Island, then boarded a ship going to New Orleans where they settled.
I found a Cirino Urrata coming later,(1914) but found out this was a nephew of my grandfathers.
We think my grandfather arrived in America around 1906, no records showing this and have thought maybe he worked on a ship coming to the states, but that raises the question how did he manage to stay in American without going through a port?? We know he did work of the railroad in NYC, then went to Omaha to be with relatives.My cousin checked records in New Orleans to see if he came into the Port of New Orleans, no record there..
Is there anywhere else we can search?? I tried to look up census for 1930, nothing...someone at one time sent me one but the name was mispelled, Uritti or something like that,the chlidren listed (10) were correct, so I know it was the right one....

Another question?? how do I get back to this posted page to check for replies?? without going through every post...I tried the posted in one day or 5 days etc.....it tells me no post... would appreciate knowing how I get back to this post. for now I will mark this page in my special place.

Thank you for any help on this matter

Ceil23
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Urrata from Lentini

Post by nuccia »

Let me try to answer some of your questions..

To check posts here you have a few options. In your profile you can choose to have links sent to your emails whenever someone posts something in this topic.

Another is to bookmark the page or to log into the forum and go to Italian Genealogy and look under your title...Urrata from Lentini. New posts that haven't been viewed by you will show an orange color bell...once you've viewed it it changes to blue.

Now, for your family..he had to go through a port...we just need to find which one. Chances are the name could have been misspelled.

I did find this but no image is available to check the manifest...maybe someone who can use the page by page function can help...honestly I have tried and I just can't do it.

First Name: Cerino
Last Name: Urrasa
Ethnicity: Italy, So. Italian
Last Place of Residence: Lentini, Italy
Date of Arrival: Aug 09, 1907
Age at Arrival: 31y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Madonna
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0028

will keep looking though..

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Found this too..

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record
about Cirino Urrata
Name: Cirino Urrata
City: New Orleans
County: Orleans
State: Louisiana
Birth Date: 22 Dec 1876
Race: White
Roll: 1684916
DraftBoard: 3

Draft Cards

The dates do match up with the above manifest text and the next of kin is the same as the info you have..

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Possible death info..

Cirino Urrata 59 yrs 30 May 1936 W 1832 208

Will try to find census info.

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ceil23
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ceil23 »

I really believe they mispelled his name, this is why I couldn't find it. but the dates seem to be in sink.
The draft record has to be my Grandfather, his birthday was Dec. 12, 1876, type error more then likely on the day...the record shows Dec. 22, 1876.
He didn't go to war, that I do know, not with 8 kids...the two youngest weren't born yet.. ha ha ha...the 8th was born in 1916.

Thank you so much nuccia
Ceil23
ceil23
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ceil23 »

The death date is correct, that info I did have....from my Aunts, two still living, but can't get much info from them...why!! I don't know...Ceil23
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Another Manifest????...

Manifest

View Record Filadelfio Urrata 14 May 1909 Male Naples, Italy Sicily Liguria
View Record Yranerics Urrata 14 May 1909 Male Naples, Italy Sicily Liguria

Check out the mothers name travelling with them...then check out the fathers name of the boys.

Now this is the one you mentioned...same year but their names were crossed off the passenger list.

Francesco Manifest

0017. Martinez, Lucrezia F 24y M Italy, South Sentini, Italy
0018. Urrata, Francesco M 4y Italy, South Sentini, Italy
0019. Urrata, Filadelfo M 1y Italy, South Sentini, Italy

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Interesting record....

Social Security Death Index Record
about Filadelfo Urrata
Name: Filadelfo Urrata
SSN: 438-05-0155
Last Residence: 70002 Metairie, Jefferson, Louisiana, United States of America
Born: 1 Mar 1907
Died: May 1985
State (Year) SSN issued: Louisiana (Before 1951 )

and perhaps a brother of Cirino..seems to have the same contact in Italy as Cirinos sons listed on the manifest..

Giuseppe in Nebraska Draft Cards

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

A census for feedback.. Indexed as

1930 United States Federal Census Record
about Cirino Unate
Name: Cirino Unate
Home in 1930: New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Grace

Education:

Military Service:

Rent Home Value:

Age at First Marriage:

Parents' Birthplace:

View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Cirino Unate 52
Grace Unate 44
Mary Unate 20
Alfred Unate 17
Ida Unate 15
Josephine Unate 14
Samuel Unate 13
Anthony Unate 7
Rose Rita Unate 2 7/12
But spelled differently on the census.

Cirino

Because Cirino listed his address as Toulouise and Harrison it appears he lived in the suburbs and there were no house numbers in 1910 and 1920. In 1930 the street names changed. I found this to be the best match but still not confirmed until you provide us with your opinion. I think its pretty close....Grace could be the English form for your grandmothers name.

nuccia
ceil23
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ceil23 »

Hi nuccia,

The manifest Lucrezia, Francesco and Fildelfo are my grandmother, and Uncles.
The death notice is of my Uncle Fildelfo Urrata, son of Cirino. who was born in 1907.
The census is that of my Grandfather and all of my Aunts and Uncles listed......
They called my Grandmother Grace instead of Lucrezia...
Noticed the mispelled last name, being Unate instead of URRATA, no wonder records are so hard to find.....ha ha ha....

Thank you so very much..
.......wish I could search things out this quickly....I at one time did go to Ancestry.com on their trial basis, but just can't afford the amount of fees they charge.
I know it also cost a fee to get info from some states, such as La, and Tex...which I feel should be free to the public.
Again Thank you,
Ceil23
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I'm glad this is the correct family. You're right, ancestry costs quite a bit and quite frankly if I wasn't helping out on this forum I don't think I'd keep the subscription..very difficult to afford.

I actually found the census going through stevemorse.org site and using the ed converter...something I just learned to use recently. I put in the street names and fooled around with the options and it brought me to ancestry's best matches.

Now to go take a shower...

nuccia
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

First Name: Cerino
Last Name: Urrasa
Ethnicity: Italy, So. Italian
Last Place of Residence: Lentini, Italy
Date of Arrival: Aug 09, 1907
Age at Arrival: 31y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Madonna
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0028

http://ellisisland.org/search/viewTextM ... 2047010105

0028. Urrasa, Cerino M 31y M Italy, So. Italian Lentini, Italy

Credit goes to :lol: Nuccia :lol: here for locating this record.... unfortunately.. "no image available..."

There are other ways of locating a "no image" file... so I will be back..

Maria :P

Ok ... here it is...(imageshack is acting up again....)

Link to manifest

Link to page 2

Just checking to see if there is a continuing page...
Maria
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

On page 2 of the 1907 manifest.. mentions that he would be joining his nephew Filadelfia S.... (or Spino??...)

This is the closest one I could find

First Name: Filadelfo
Last Name: Stuto
Ethnicity: Italy Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Lentini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Mar 03, 1907
Age at Arrival: 15y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Italia
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0013

This manifest also mentions.... a ? Cerino as well...

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0187&Maria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Maria...I knew if anyone would link that manifest it would be you! I really need to work on using that tool...

Could this be the same possible cousin???

1910 United States Federal Census Record
about Philip Stuto
Name: Philip Stuto
Age in 1910: 30
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Omaha Ward 3, Douglas, Nebraska
Marital Status: Single
Year of Immigration: 1909
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Philip Stuto 30
Philip Caporllo 31

Won't link until we get a response..imageshack is on and off..

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ceil23
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ceil23 »

My Grandparents lived and owned a home at 6367 Marshall Foch Street, Lakeview, New Orleans......lost to Katrina...off of Harrison Blvd.

the names are all correct in the census you sent....

My Grandfather had a cousin who lived in Omaha by the name of Filadelfo Aprao.... I do not know the name Stuto....and looking at what you sent , Philip's came to the states in 1909...my grandfather if the manifest is correct came in 1907, which means Filadelfo had to be here in order for him to go to Omaha... I have all the records of his siblings marriages( although some could have been married twice) I have all of their children listed too....the sisters didn't marry anyone by the name of Stuto, but, I will ask my Aunt Rose if she may remember the name.

In looking at the manifest you sent, the name looks like Aparo to me, if you notice the A...in front of Filadelfo...It was only recently that I found out Aparo's lived in Omaha. For some reason no one kept in touch, guess it was hard back then being so far away from each other. I do know my Grandfather did receive mail from people according to my Aunts, but lost every thing in a fire back in 1929... We have none of those letters.

I tried to copy the manifest from Ellis Island, it won't let you do it. only shows the top page and that is it.....these I was able to copy one at a time by sending the copy through my email....otherwise I couldn't do it...
Again I Thank you all from the bottom of my Heart.
Ceil23