Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit,
I think it's typing too.
In 1904 it may have been a fairly new skill and one to be
proud of (hence the correction on the manifest)
Wasn't Emanuel working in a Linotype shop on the 1910 census?
vj
I hope so.
Would be nice if we now had possible location in Italy for records.
Palermo would fit ...
And, credit where it's due, Maria found a similar manifest transcription
error not too long ago. Just following the leader!
Valarie
I quickly saw the word "typographer" (spelling is slightly different on manifest).... and since he worked at a printing company... it does fit right in!! I know this for sure - having been a typesetter myself....
Also, the cousins name almost looks like his wife's surname!
You're awesome Valarie! That's a great find.
Maria
(I was searching up North - Tyrole area)
Just think... in less than 24 hours... JACOB701 person received a wonderful collection of family history!!
I think that is him, and he would be 25. What is weird is that it says he is married, unless it is a typo and the name looks like my grandmothers name, on the person who sponsored him, but it could be her brother, so it would be a cousin, by marriage. This is really strange. He was a printer, but maybe they interpreted it as Typing. Maybe it said typographer. Printers did set type back then, so maybe he was trying to explain what he did, and his english wasn't that good. Now it is a shame we can't access the marriage licenses to see if they were married after or what. But her manifest showed single. This is all very strange, but I do believe u got the right one. She came in 1901 and he came in 1904. And the name like was said, was a probably lazy E and looked like a C.
Yes it is amazing all the wonderful collection of history that I have received in less than 24 hours. It makes me feel good, because I have searched and searched to no avail, hours and hours, and don't know anything more than when I started, and you guys found out all this in less than 24 hours. I know it makes you feel good too. Now we have a mystery on our hands, LOL. (married, and sponsor almost same name as his wife and listed as a cousin). Maybe they had to list it as a cousin, so that he could come in, maybe it had to be family to sponsor. That is a possibility and they told a little white lie. Well again many thanks for all you have done so far, all of you, you guys and gals are great, you all know your stuff. Now I have to figure out how I can get into Italy's records as to find out where they were born, and track their ancestors. That I think is going to be an impossiblity. I have no clue as to where to start with my limited information.
Before jumping across the ocean......gather all US records first!!
Each record you obtain gives you more concrete info, another piece of the puzzle......birth, baptism, marriage and death records...naturalization, as this may list the names of parents and the exact town of birth.......
Do you know when either Josephine or Emanuel died? Obituaries can be great sources of information.....and can be found in most libraries which carry newspapers on microfilm.....
wldspirit
OK. I will work on that, and see what I get. I will let you know if there is any information that would help you to find out more. No I don't know exactly when they died, my memory says late mid to late 50's. I believe my grandfather died before her, she lived or so I was told until her 80's. One of the girls at work and I are going to the library to look at the microfiche, and there is a place on Par Ave, I guess it is a LDS place and she and I are going there too. She is Italian too. I bragged about you guys and what u did for me.
Again thanks, if you want I will get back with you. I appreciate everything you did for me. There is still the mystery of my grandfather saying he was married and going to his cousin by the same name as my grandmother. I have to investigate that, as supposedly they married AFTER they both got here.
Wish me luck, hope I can find out more as to their history in Italy and all that good stuff.
As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians. The earlies...