Hi!
Rosina must have been his second wife... ? Born 1873
And the address is a match... 4 Roosevelt....
Vincenzo's Address Listing see far right bottom half under Bottlers - Lager Beer
Husband mentioned on manifest is Vincenzo.
The town mentioned here is Firmo, Calabria (not saying that this is HIS birthtown...)
Firmo Town information
0001. Pompilio, Elisa F 16y 6m S Italian South Firmo, Italy
0002. Longo, Pietro M 27y S Italian South Firmo, Italy
0003. Caputo, Rosina F 41y M American Firmo, Italy
0004. Caputo, Alessandro M 4y S American N.Y. City
0005. Caputo, Luciano M 10m S American N.Y. City
First Name: Rosina
Last Name: Caputo
Ethnicity: American
Last Place of Residence: Firmo, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan 25, 1914
Age at Arrival: 41y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: San Guglielmo
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0003
Page 1- 1914 Rosina Caputo manifest
Page 2
Speranza
Marchiano & Liguori surnames
Re: Marchiano & Liguori surnames
Hello,
Thank you so much for all of the research you have done.
I never knew that any of Vincenzo's children had gone to Italy and now you have found 2 such trips. I can't imagine why my grandmother or her sister (2 of his children) never told me about them - they told me so many stories of my family when I was a child.
Especially how after Vincenzo died in 1916 the second wife Rosina took her son Luciano and Vincenzo's money and left. The older children had to raise Adeline and Allesandro.
Esperanza, could you tell me where you found the Vincenzo address listing you had in your last post?
Thank you so much,
GS
Thank you so much for all of the research you have done.
I never knew that any of Vincenzo's children had gone to Italy and now you have found 2 such trips. I can't imagine why my grandmother or her sister (2 of his children) never told me about them - they told me so many stories of my family when I was a child.
Especially how after Vincenzo died in 1916 the second wife Rosina took her son Luciano and Vincenzo's money and left. The older children had to raise Adeline and Allesandro.
Esperanza, could you tell me where you found the Vincenzo address listing you had in your last post?
Thank you so much,
GS
Re: Marchiano & Liguori surnames
magprise wrote:I searched thru the rest of Ellis Island records and found him on the return from another trip in 1911. This was the trip I have the letter he wrote and also he brought home a new wife - much to his children's displeasure, and also his new wife's displeasure because he had not told her about the 9 children at home. On this trip there is a passport number and date of issuance listed for him. I am told that the application may contain the town of his birth. I will see how to go about getting a copy of this from the federal archives.
GS
Hi GS,
Would you please provide the information on thiss trip. Date of arrival, ship of arrival.....Link to manifest would be good.
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Marchiano & Liguori surnames
Possible death information for Mary Ann Caputo?
Caputo Mary age 39 y DOD Oct 9 1910 Cert# 30554 Manhattan
And someplace in this thread, you mentioned that Vincenzo died in 1916?
Possibles....
Caputo Vincenzo 75 y Jun 4 1948 12984 Manhattan
Caputo Vincenzo 65 y Dec 29 1922 31678 Manhattan
Caputo Vincenzo 52 y Jul 28 1916 22022 Manhattan
Death records are another good source for town information.....you mentioned that Vincenzo & Mary Ann had several children who died infancy?
jcsm
Caputo Mary age 39 y DOD Oct 9 1910 Cert# 30554 Manhattan
And someplace in this thread, you mentioned that Vincenzo died in 1916?
Possibles....
Caputo Vincenzo 75 y Jun 4 1948 12984 Manhattan
Caputo Vincenzo 65 y Dec 29 1922 31678 Manhattan
Caputo Vincenzo 52 y Jul 28 1916 22022 Manhattan
Death records are another good source for town information.....you mentioned that Vincenzo & Mary Ann had several children who died infancy?
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Marchiano & Liguori surnames
Sorry to hear that it ended up that way. Family says one thing... records say another.magprise wrote:Hello,
Thank you so much for all of the research you have done.
I never knew that any of Vincenzo's children had gone to Italy and now you have found 2 such trips. I can't imagine why my grandmother or her sister (2 of his children) never told me about them - they told me so many stories of my family when I was a child.
Especially how after Vincenzo died in 1916 the second wife Rosina took her son Luciano and Vincenzo's money and left. The older children had to raise Adeline and Allesandro. Esperanza, could you tell me where you found the Vincenzo address listing you had in your last post?
Thank you so much,
GS
I found the address listing using Ancestry .com. Found it when I was looking for Anthony (page 1 of this post). Looking for him as well was worth it and part of the adventure.
New York, City Directories Record
(Under the Lager Beer Business Section)
Name: Vincenzo Saputo (4 Roosevelt)
Title: NewYork-NY-1915a
Year: 1915
City: New York
Book Section: City Information
Page: 920
But.. did he marry the second time around in Italy (based on what your family told you)
So there should be another record of Rosina and Vincenzo coming back to the USA right?
I guess Rosina was not from his birth town?
The manifest indicates that Luciano was just 10-mo old born in 1913 in the USA.
Sometimes records like this make you wonder why people travel such a long journey with young children.
By any chance, did Vincenzo have a heart problem? It is a strange question to ask..
Speranza
Re: Marchiano & Liguori surnames
Hello,
From an earlier post
"That said, Have you gotten their complete marriage record? Not just the certificate.......Marriage record includes the application to marry, the license, any affidavits, the certificate & the return. This record could have the town of birth for both, Mary Ann & Vincenzo, plus parent names."
The application and affidavits - are these requirements for a New York City marriage? If so who would have them? I got the certificate of marriage and return of a marriage from the NYC municipal archives. I had a one page certificate from the church (I have written the church for further records)
The 1910 and 1916 death certificates are the correct ones - I have them as well as the death records from the children - unfortunately they do not give much information.
From what I have been told Vincenzo married his second wife Rosina in Italy and their return on August 24, 1911 on the ship Verona should be her first time arriving to NY. By that time Vincenzo was naturalized and according to this ship manifest he already had a US passport.
At least now we may have Rosina's town of birth. If my other check of records from the church and the passport don't produce results then I could try to find that marriage record of Vincenzo and Rosina.
Thank you all for so much help and new leads - I felt like I had exhausted avenues of possibilities known to me and now you have help me open several new leads to investigate further.
GS
From an earlier post
"That said, Have you gotten their complete marriage record? Not just the certificate.......Marriage record includes the application to marry, the license, any affidavits, the certificate & the return. This record could have the town of birth for both, Mary Ann & Vincenzo, plus parent names."
The application and affidavits - are these requirements for a New York City marriage? If so who would have them? I got the certificate of marriage and return of a marriage from the NYC municipal archives. I had a one page certificate from the church (I have written the church for further records)
The 1910 and 1916 death certificates are the correct ones - I have them as well as the death records from the children - unfortunately they do not give much information.
From what I have been told Vincenzo married his second wife Rosina in Italy and their return on August 24, 1911 on the ship Verona should be her first time arriving to NY. By that time Vincenzo was naturalized and according to this ship manifest he already had a US passport.
At least now we may have Rosina's town of birth. If my other check of records from the church and the passport don't produce results then I could try to find that marriage record of Vincenzo and Rosina.
Thank you all for so much help and new leads - I felt like I had exhausted avenues of possibilities known to me and now you have help me open several new leads to investigate further.
GS
Re: Marchiano & Liguori surnames
With serveral new leads... you'd probably enjoy the 2 week free trial subscription from Ancestry. com...magprise wrote: Thank you all for so much help and new leads - I felt like I had exhausted avenues of possibilities known to me and now you have help me open several new leads to investigate further.
GS
2 weeks goes by fast especially if you are a full time employee... so be selective as to when you subscribe...
And if you do go for it... make sure your trial subscription period doesn't end on a weekend.. (long story...)
There's a fair bit of research you can do online.. and eventually it's back to the FHC. Most FHC have Ancestry. com on their computers.. and it's also free to use. Lots to look forward to.
As for American Marriage Records, I've never had to order them... so I'm learning more about them here too. Appreciate the really good advice from other members.
Speranza
Re: Marchiano & Liguori surnames
Hello Esperanza,
Vincenzo died of lobar pneumonia - I am still trying to figure out where - the death certificate says Workhouse hospital - the only thing I can find on the web was on an island that also had the Workhouse and a few other buildings - like a hospital for contagious diseases etc. I don't know why he would be there as he definitely was not poor - he should have been able to afford better care.
Thanks,
GS
Vincenzo died of lobar pneumonia - I am still trying to figure out where - the death certificate says Workhouse hospital - the only thing I can find on the web was on an island that also had the Workhouse and a few other buildings - like a hospital for contagious diseases etc. I don't know why he would be there as he definitely was not poor - he should have been able to afford better care.
Thanks,
GS
Re: Marchiano & Liguori surnames
I sent you a private message.
Workhouse Hospital? Just did some reading since you've mentioned this.
Here's a forum link which also includes photos.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Number=30777
Speranza
Workhouse Hospital? Just did some reading since you've mentioned this.
Here's a forum link which also includes photos.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Number=30777
Speranza
Wonderful Success Story
Hello,
I just wanted to update you on some exciting discoveries I have made thanks to all of you.
I was looking for my Marchian and Liguori ancestors - one of whom married my great grandfather Vincenzo Caputo but I had no idea what Italian town they were from. Esperanza and a few others found ship manifests for Caputo which had a passport # and I got a copy of the passport application from the federal archives - it said Vincenzo Caputo was from Spezzano Albanese but I had already checked the records and he was not born there. Another of the manifests had the town where his second wife was from. I was able to get from this town that Vincenzo's parents were deceased but had been residents of Mendicino in the Calabria region. I ordered those records from my family history center.
I finally found Vincenzo's birth record - I was so excited - after a year of searching in so many different directions but there it was. I have been able to find his siblings, his parents marriage and a few other records. I don't think any of this would have been possible without all of the wonderful help everyone on this board provided. I cannot thank you all enough.
Thank you,
GS
I just wanted to update you on some exciting discoveries I have made thanks to all of you.
I was looking for my Marchian and Liguori ancestors - one of whom married my great grandfather Vincenzo Caputo but I had no idea what Italian town they were from. Esperanza and a few others found ship manifests for Caputo which had a passport # and I got a copy of the passport application from the federal archives - it said Vincenzo Caputo was from Spezzano Albanese but I had already checked the records and he was not born there. Another of the manifests had the town where his second wife was from. I was able to get from this town that Vincenzo's parents were deceased but had been residents of Mendicino in the Calabria region. I ordered those records from my family history center.
I finally found Vincenzo's birth record - I was so excited - after a year of searching in so many different directions but there it was. I have been able to find his siblings, his parents marriage and a few other records. I don't think any of this would have been possible without all of the wonderful help everyone on this board provided. I cannot thank you all enough.
Thank you,
GS


