Giannasi name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
scottie

Giannasi name

Post by scottie »

Hello everyone!
Am a newbie here and need some direction in finding any info about the Giannasi family.
My grandfather immigrated to Scotland as a very young person and I his first name was Carlos, born in June, 1891. His parents were apparently Giuseppi Gianassi and ........Capitan (or something like that)
Any leads, help would be deeply appreciated.
Thank you, Scottie
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Re: Giannasi name

Post by rfornal »

Just to clarify ... your grandfather immigrated to Scotland ... then I assume at some point, your grandfather, father, or yourself moved to the US, specifically Florida ...

Is this correct?

Do you know if your grandfather immigrated alone or with his parents?
Do you know where in Italy they might be from?

Starting at yourself and working back, how much information do you have ... what you have makes it sound like you have some good research in place and some of that information might be necessary for us to assist you ...

GOOD LUCK
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

scottie wrote:Hello everyone!
Am a newbie here and need some direction in finding any info about the Giannasi family.
My grandfather immigrated to Scotland as a very young person and I his first name was Carlos, born in June, 1891. His parents were apparently Giuseppi Gianassi and ........Capitan (or something like that)
Any leads, help would be deeply appreciated.
Thank you, Scottie
Hello Scottie,
after a little research I see there are two big Giannasio communities in the province of Modena and Lucca.
So with the informations you have contact

Archivio di Stato di Luccaand

Archivio di Stato di Modena

and write them a request, in italian, to have Carlo Giannasi military record (foglio matricolare) or at least his military draft card (lista di leva).
On these documents you find right name, date and place of birth, name of parents, and some other details.
If you want to go further, this is the first step...
Good luck for your research,
bye Riccardo :lol:
scottie

Post by scottie »

A thousand pardons...I had forgotten that I was on this site before...thank you so very much and so sorry I didn't reply to these.
First, I do not speak Italian..except for a very few words thanks to Latin in school many years ago!!
Also found out that my grandfather was Italian only about 4 years ago...we didn't know..he always said he was a Scot...He sure looked Italian.
Anyway, he ran away from home as a young boy..ast to why etc??? no one seemed to know as he would never talk about it...So, I love mysteries and he sure is one.
Any help would be appreciated.
Scottie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Is the surname Ginnasi or Ginnasio? There are persons in Italy with both spellings. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Scottie are you familiar with www.scotsitalian.com and the national archives of Scotland at www.nas.gov.uk/guides/emigration.asp with many links to Italian immigrants to Scotland and the UK? Please see if you can puick up a trace of yourrandfather since your new/new to italian genealogy and would want to be familiar with resources in your ownbackyard as it were. If you have any questions please get back tous so that we can orient you and furnish you with approrpriate information. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:Is the surname Ginnasi or Ginnasio? There are persons in Italy with both spellings. =Peter=
The are also 250+ Giannasi with the same spelling of the of the surname proposed in this topic subject.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thanks Livio but Ricbru used Ginnasio instead of Giannasi so I wanted to clear any doubts in my mind about the correct spelling. =Peter=
scottie

Post by scottie »

The name is spelled Giannasi as per my grandmother and his marriage cert. For some reason after that he changed his name to Charles Gentles.
Answering a lot of questions from you all and as I say this many thanks for all your replies.
My grandparents were in NYC around the turn of the century and were married at City Hall in 1906.
They returned to Scotland where they lived in many different places--Glasgow, Bo'ness and a small mining town in Linlithgow. Grandfather came to the USA in 1924/25 and the rest of the family came the year after.
Scottie
scottie

Post by scottie »

rfornal wrote:Just to clarify ... your grandfather immigrated to Scotland ... then I assume at some point, your grandfather, father, or yourself moved to the US, specifically Florida ...

Is this correct?

Do you know if your grandfather immigrated alone or with his parents?
Do you know where in Italy they might be from?

Starting at yourself and working back, how much information do you have ... what you have makes it sound like you have some good research in place and some of that information might be necessary for us to assist you ...

GOOD LUCK
Thank you for your reply and I apologize for being so long in answering.
My grandfather came to the USA in 1925 with one of the older children. By that time, he was known by the name Charles Gentles. They came into Ellis Island and them traveled to Penna. to work in the coal mines. The following year the rest of the family came over. Iwas born and raised in Pa., but have been here in Fl for over 22 years.
Scottie
giannasi

Post by giannasi »

Hiya ! my name is Cara Giannasi and im just looking for anyone who knows anything about the Giannasi family, ive got a facebook.com acount and have been finding loads of people on there from the Giannasi's but id like to know more !
if anyone can help please let me know ! thanks!
xx :D