US citizenship in exchange for WWI military service

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
scammeresi

US citizenship in exchange for WWI military service

Post by scammeresi »

New to this forum and to genealogy research. I'm hoping someone here can tell me where to find more information.

My great-grandfather Giuseppe Carlino (1890-1987) was born in Calabria, I think in a town called Africo or Africo Nuovo. He came to the US or Canada sometime around 1910, but went back to Italy to fight in WWI from about 1916-1919.

The story from my family is that he got US citizenship in exchange for fighting in the Italian army, but it makes more sense to me that he would have gotten citizenship for being in the US army. I also have a vague memory of hearing something about Northern/Southern animosity playing into the military story.

I got the URL http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/special.htm off of another post here, but would be greatful for any additional information anyone could offer.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: US citizenship in exchange for WWI military service

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
first of all I suggest you to request his birth certificate (estratto per riassunto dell'atto di nascita) to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio 27
89030 Africo (RC)
Italy

after that contact Archivio di Stato di Reggio Calabria and request his military record (foglio matricolare) or his military draft card (lista di leva)
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo :lol:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Which state did your grandfather live in? Have you checked US draft registrations?
wldspirit
scammeresi

Post by scammeresi »

I'm not sure where all he lived. At some point he lived in Rochester, NY.

I have not checked draft records. Are those online?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

WW 1 and WW 2 draft registrations are available thru Ancestry.com.
I brought up five records for the given name of your grandfather, varying birthdates and states.
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Here are the five I was speaking of, and keep in mind he may have gone by Joseph as well.

Giuseppe Carlino Feb 1893 Caucasian Italy Not Stated, Williamson, IL
Giuseppe Carlino 18 Feb 1882 White Not Stated, Genesee, NY
Giuseppe Carlino 25 Oct 1876 White Rochester, Monroe, NY
Giuseppe Carlino 8 Feb 1883 White Niagara Falls, Niagara, NY
Giuseppe Carlino 3 Apr 1887 Caucasian Italy Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA

can link the actual image if you are interested in seeing one of these records.

wldspirit
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

scammeresi, ricbru & wldspirit,
A couple of possible records based on birth 1890, death 1987
A question, could manifest coming back from WWI have notation for US Citizen?
vj
----------------------
SSDI
Name: Joseph Carlino
SSN: xxx-xx-7812
Last Residence: 46615 South Bend, Saint Joseph, Indiana
Born: 5 May 1890
Died: May 1987
State (Year) SSN issued: Indiana (Before 1951 )
------------------------
WWII Draft Registration, 1942
Guiseppe Carlino (signed Joseph)
b 5 May 1890
wife Frances?
pg 1
pg 2
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi scammeresi,

When doing genealogical research, you should always work from the present generation (you) backwards by obtaining family documentation for each generation. This documentation will contain information that will help locate records for the next generation. For instance, by getting your gr.grandfather's death certificate you should obtain the information on his town of birth and his parents names.

For now, it would help us if we know his wife's & children's' names & their birth years.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

Hello scammeresi, found this manifest of an Annunziato (who's last residence was Africo...) off to Rochester to join his son Giuseppe.... thought I would post it... not sure at this point if he is your ancestor.. hoping that the address listed below could be a clue...
scammeresi wrote:New to this forum and to genealogy research. I'm hoping someone here can tell me where to find more information.

My great-grandfather Giuseppe Carlino (1890-1987) was born in Calabria, I think in a town called Africo or Africo Nuovo. He came to the US or Canada sometime around 1910, but went back to Italy to fight in WWI from about 1916-1919.
and
scammeresi wrote:I'm not sure where all he lived. At some point he lived in Rochester, NY. ...
First Name: Annunziato
Last Name: Carlino'
Ethnicity: Italy South Ital.
Last Place of Residence: Africo', /Sicily
Date of Arrival: Aug 12, 1921
Age at Arrival: 59y (maybe 54) Gender: M Marital Status: W
Ship of Travel: Patria
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0015

Page 1 - link to manifest

Page 2 - link to manifest

Annunziato, Age 54? widow, Iron monger - leaves daughter Lucia in Italy

Going to join son Giuseppe Carlino at 68 Hartford in Rochester

Place of birth: Reggio, Calabria

Last residence: Sicily, Africo (??) as on manifest ?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

possible 1920 manifest
note: possible naturalization notation
page 1
page 2
SS Regina D'Italia, line 6
23 Oct 1920
Naples to NY
Giuseppe Carlino, 30
Married, Blacksmith
Relative in Castelnuovo, Reggio C. wife Francesca Marano
in US 1909-1916 in NY
joining cousin Bartolo Morabito 78 Iltfort St, Rochester, NY
born in Castelnuovo, Reggio C.
-----------------------

possible related 1921 manifest:
page 1
page 2
12 Aug 1921
SS Patria, lines 9-10
Palermo to NY
note: may have naturalization notation
Francesca Verando, 34
relative in Africo, sister-in-law Lucia Carlino
joining husband Giuseppe Carlino at 383 North St
Rochester, NY
born in Africo, Sicily
Anna Garlino (Carlino), 9 mos
joining father
born in Africo, Sicily
---------------------------------------

note: same names as a possible 1930 Indiana census
1930 page 1
1930 page 2
Name: Giuseppe Carlino
Home in 1930: Mishawaka, Saint Joseph, Indiana
Age: 40 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890 Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Household Members:
Name Age
Giuseppe Carlino 40
Francis Carlino 37
Anna Carlino 9
Santina Carlino 5
Catherine Carlino 5
Nick Carlin 3
Palma Carlin 2
Nick Carlin 65
-------------------

possible 1909 manifest
page 1
page 2
SS America, line 7
4 Jun 1909
Naples to NY
Giuseppe Carlino, 22
Single
relative in Castelnuovo, Reggio C, mother Anna M----??
going to Scranton (PA)
(note may be traveling w/lines 4 Morabito, & 12-15,
line 13 Palamara wife Carlino)

joining cousin Antonio Miliado?
born in Africo, Reggio C.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

This article may or may not help answer some of your questions about naturalization as well.

Click Here
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
etobia

Post by etobia »

Question: What is naturalization?
Answer: Naturalization is the process by which an alien becomes an American citizen. Naturalization records may provide a researcher with information such as a person's birth date and location, occupation, immigration year, marital status and spouse information, witnesses' names and addresses, and more.

Question: What is included in a naturalization petition file (records)?
Answer: A naturalization petition file at a minimum consists of a petition for naturalization and may include other documents such as a declaration of intention. The information in records issued prior to September 27, 1906, varies widely and may contain no genealogical information at all.

Question: What is a naturalization petition?
Answer: Naturalization petitions are documents by which persons who had declared their intention to become U.S. citizens and who met residency requirements made formal application for U.S. citizenship. Through September 26, 1906, information on the petitions was limited to names of the petitioner and sovereign to whom he is foreswearing allegiance, and occasionally the petitioner’s residence, occupation, date and country of birth, and port and date of arrival in this country. The amount of information usually given in these early petitions varies but is typically quite limited. Starting on September 27, 1906, information includes name, residence, occupation, date and place of birth, citizenship, and personal description of applicant; date of emigration; ports of embarkation and arrival; marital status; names, dates, places of birth, and residence of applicant's spouse and children; date at which U.S. residence commenced; time of residence in state; name changes; and signature. Copies of declarations of intention and certificates of arrival are often interfiled with petitions. After 1930 declarations of intention may include the applicant's photograph.

Question: Why would I want my paper copies of naturalizations certified?
Answer: For the additional fee, certified copies are affixed with a formal NARA statement and embossed seal to declare that they are true copies of original documents in NARA’s legal custody. Certified copies may be used for legal purposes such as court submissions and Social Security applications.

Question: Where can I find naturalization records before September 27, 1906?
Answer: Before September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or federal) could grant U.S. citizenship. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and some records have been donated to the National Archives from county, state, and local courts and may be ordered as paper reproductions or National Archives microfilm publications.

For naturalization records before September 27, 1906 you can:
- Use Order Online! to place an order for a reproduction of a naturalization record in the National Archives' holdings
- See the list of county and state microfilm available.
- Contact the State Archives for the state where the naturalization occurred to request a search of state, county, and local court records.

Question: Where can I find federal naturalization records after September 26, 1906?
Answer: After September 26, 1906, the courts forwarded copies of naturalization petitions to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Naturalization petitions from federal courts are held in the NARA's regional facilities for the federal courts for their area. The National Archives in Washington, D.C. holds naturalization records for federal courts in Washington, D.C. For naturalization records of non-federal courts contact the State Archives for the state where the naturalization occurred to request a search of state, county, and local court records.

Question: What is a Declaration of Intention?
Answer: Declarations of intention are documents by which applicants for U.S. citizenship declared their intention to become U.S. citizens. Early declarations of intention usually show the following for each applicant: name, country of birth or allegiance, date of the application, and signature. Some show the date and port of arrival in the U.S. After September 26, 1906 a longer and more detailed form was used, including such information as the applicant's name, age, occupation, and personal description; date and place of birth; citizenship; present address and last foreign address; vessel and port of embarkation for the U.S.; port and date of arrival in the U.S.; and date of application and signature.
A declaration of intention normally preceded a petition to become a citizen by two or more years, but the declaration was sometimes not required, e.g. if the person had been honorably discharged from certain military service or had entered the country when a minor or was married to a citizen of the U.S.

Question: Can NARA provide a statement confirming the absence of naturalization records for purposes such as dual citizenship applications?
Answer: NARA does not provide such statements as it is not possible for us to prove a negative, i.e. to assert beyond doubt that our voluminous holdings absolutely do not contain a particular type of documentation. Also, NARA does not issue letters of verification of naturalization/citizenship and does not contact individuals, government offices, or other organizations to discuss the status of one’s citizenship or the legal interpretation of naturalization documents in our custody. Only U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has the legal authority to verify U.S. citizenship of naturalized persons.

Question: Where can I find additional information about naturalizations?
401 W. 1st St., Corning, NY 14830-2331
teampotter

Post by teampotter »

HI--the family your refering to in this quote is my family. Palma--now known as Pam is my Grandmother..there are also two other brothers that are not listed here, Richard is younger than Pam and he died a few years ago and then there was an older brother but I do not know his name. I can find out though...if this is your family I would be interested in chatting wtih you to help you fill in some blanks--If I know them that is....but my Grandma Pam is a great resource.
Thanks Gina Potter
teampotter@earthlink.net

Name: Giuseppe Carlino
Home in 1930: Mishawaka, Saint Joseph, Indiana
Age: 40 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890 Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Household Members:
Name Age
Giuseppe Carlino 40
Francis Carlino 37
Anna Carlino 9
Santina Carlino 5
Catherine Carlino 5
Nick Carlin 3
Palma Carlin 2
Nick Carlin 65
mangeruca

Post by mangeruca »

Scammeresi,
I realize this is an old post but if you are still monitoring this and want some info on Africo Vecchio or Castelnuovo, contact me at mmangeruca@gmail.com.
Mike
travel-vacation

Post by travel-vacation »

you can search on this website archives.gov/genealogy/naturalization/

________
<b>Home Exchanges</b> - Exchange Home Online at Reciplocation.com