Angelicola surname in Celenza, Foggia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rad9496

Angelicola surname in Celenza, Foggia

Post by rad9496 »

Hi. I am doing genealogical research for a client whose relative was from Celenza, Foggia with the name of Michele S. Angelicola. His wife was Giovannina Zarella (or Zarelli). Does anyone know her DOB or death or any of her relatives? I don't believe she ever left Italy. I do know that she died before 1945. Michele came to the US in 1930 and died in 1945 in Connecticut. Also, Michele's father was named Nicola Angelicola and was a farmer. He was married to a woman named Angelina. Does anyone know anything else about these two individuals? DOB or deaths or siblings? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Angelicola surname in Celenza, Foggia

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
I suggest you to contact Celenza civil record office

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via San Nicola, 15
CAP 71035
Celenza Valfortore (FG)
Italy

or contact Archivio di Stato di Foggia
http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... 2FOGGIA%22

or you can rent Celenza Valfortore civil record microfilm to FHL (mormon church)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
rockitmom57

Post by rockitmom57 »

My grandmother was Antoinette Angelicola and she was from this town. She was born around 1897 and had a brother, Michele Angelicola. They all landed up Connecticut - Waterbury , New haven). But i beleive he married a woman named Mary Caruso.
Lori
rad9496

Post by rad9496 »

Hi. Do you happen to know what their father's name was? Also, were they from Celenza, Valfortore? I believe this family were a bunch of farmers. Do you know anything else about them like dates of birth or death for any of their other relatives? Any info would be helpful. Thanks. :D
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

This post was edited!!!!

Ricardo gave you the link for microfilm so that you can conduct your own genealogy research. He also gave you the link where to write for records just in case you don't want to use the microfilm.

Per the ship's manifest for your Michele, he was born abour 1870. He left his wife, Giovannina, in Italy. Therefore, she was still alive in 1929. Michele was going to his son's Nicola's in Connecticut. However, he didn't make this trip for his name has a line through it, so there has to be another manifest.

Name: Michele Angelicola
Estimated birth year: abt 1870
Port of Departure: Naples
Place of Origin: Italian
Ship Name: Conte Biancamano
Search Ship Database: Search the Conte Biancamano in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Nativity: Italy
Line: 7
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_4459
Page Number: 96
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: celenza valfortere

The Michele married to Mary Caruso was born about 1900. Then there was another Michele born about 1889 all living in Connecticut.

Stil looking
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi again,

Here is the one where Michele came in May 20, 1929.

Name: Michele Angelicola
Estimated birth year: abt 1870
Port of Departure: Naples
Ship Name: Conte Grande
Search Ship Database: View the Conte Grande in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 1
Microfilm Roll: T715_4494
Page Number: 121
Birth Location Other: celenza valfortore

Still looking
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi again,

Per the manifest of Michele naming his son, Nicola. Here is a possible manifest for Nicola. It did state he left his father, Michele in Italy. Nicola was traveling with his two sisters, Marianna, and Angela

Name: Bro Nicola Angelicola
Estimated birth year: abt 1896
Port of Departure: Napoli
Ship Name: Europa
Search Ship Database: Search the Europa in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 3
Microfilm Roll: T715_2731
Page Number: 108
Birth Location Other: celenza

WWII Draft Card for Nicola
Name: Nick Angelicolo
Birth Date: 29 Nov 1894
Residence: New Haven, Connecticut
Birth: Celenza, Valfortoro Italy
Race: White
Roll: WW2_2283347

Hope this helps some more!
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
rad9496

Post by rad9496 »

Thanks. This is helpful information. I will look all this up online. ~rad9496 :P
rad9496

Post by rad9496 »

Interesting how the spelling changes from Angelicola to Angelicolo. I wonder, now, if the spelling is really Angelicolo or if it was just a typo. It is hard to tell but he appears to have signed the form like it as well. Maybe he didn't want to correct the person at the desk? Who knows. It would make it a little more difficult if I am researching the wrong famliy line from Italy. What a pain that would be!

Anyone have any thoughts on this? ~rad9496 :)
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

rad9496 wrote:Interesting how the spelling changes from Angelicola to Angelicolo. I wonder, now, if the spelling is really Angelicolo or if it was just a typo. It is hard to tell but he appears to have signed the form like it as well. Maybe he didn't want to correct the person at the desk? Who knows. It would make it a little more difficult if I am researching the wrong famliy line from Italy. What a pain that would be!

Hi There,

When it comes to the USA records, you have to remember that people like you and me were the ones that we're trying to figure out the correct spelling that they heard from a person that spoke in a foreign language and/or broken English. So incorrect spellings are common.

Once you get the microfilm for your ancestor's you will be able to find the correct spelling of the surname. So it could be either Angelicola to Angelicolo. However, once you find the Birth record of your ancestor, you'll have your proof as to what his names is, the correct spelling, and information on his parents.

Keep us posted as to how you are making out!
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Graffeo »

rad9496 wrote:Interesting how the spelling changes from Angelicola to Angelicolo. I wonder, now, if the spelling is really Angelicolo or if it was just a typo. It is hard to tell but he appears to have signed the form like it as well. Maybe he didn't want to correct the person at the desk? Who knows. It would make it a little more difficult if I am researching the wrong famliy line from Italy. What a pain that would be!

One way to check the spelling I use is to go to google search and type in the surname using both spellings.

Angelicola gives 533 returns
Angelicolo only gives 13 returns

To me this means the correct spelling is most likely Angelicola. This method does not always work but it yields some interesting searches anyway.
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Graffeo »

"One way to check the spelling I use is to go to google search and type in the surname using both spellings.

Angelicola gives 533 returns
Angelicolo only gives 13 returns

To me this means the correct spelling is most likely Angelicola. This method does not always work but it yields some interesting searches anyway.[/quote]

Oh I should add that you have to make sure the surname is not a simple noun , verb or whatever in Italian. Like I said it does not always work. :roll:
rad9496

Post by rad9496 »

Doing somemore research and I found that the spelling (as far as I can tell) has always been Angelicola and NOT Angelicolo. It was due to a transcription error on the clerk who processed Nicola when he registered for the draft in WW1. Funny how that followed him throughout his life. The Social Security Administration STILL has him (and his wife) with the spelling as Angelicolo on their official records. Ahhhh.... the joys of genealogical research :wink: ~rad9496
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I hope you don't mind that I jumped on to this chain, but my husband's grandmother was born in Celenza, Teresa Spallone Zarelli. They settled in Waterbury in the early 1900s. I saw mention of the Zarelli last name above, so it could be a relation to us. We just visited Celenza less than a month ago. If you ever have the opportunity, I strongly suggest visiting. The people are so warm there, even if you are not family, they treat you like family. We had a grocer and his family take us under their wing when they heard that we had relatives who were born there. They showed us around town, treated us to dinner, it was wonderful.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
rad9496

Post by rad9496 »

Hi. From what I can gather, this person was named Giovannina Zarelli on several copies of death certificates that I was able to obtain. I also know that she died before 1945 as Michele's death certificate states that he was a widower when he passed in 1945 -- that would mean she died before 1945. I cannot find any record of her coming to America at all. I believe she died in either Italy or Argentina. Gionannina also had 2 of her children born in Argentina and might have relatives over there. I also cannot find records of that immigration back and forth from Italy to Argentina --(Apparently it was very common for Italians to go back and forth between the two countries to work on the farms over there. I believe the Angelicolas had a horse farm there). As for information on the Zarelli
's, I know very little about them other than Giovanninna. Do you have any information on your husbands relatives? Maybe this Giovannina was a sister or cousin of Teresa? Does the Angelicola name ring a bell to him or you? ~rad9496 :)