Limongelli family from Paduli, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Limongelli family from Paduli, Italy

Post by Poipuo4 »

I was curious if anyone has done research on the Limongelli family from Paduli, Italy? My grandmother, Michelina Limongelli, was born there in 1901, and emigrated to the US in 1908. Her mom was Maria Pascale Limongelli (born approx. 1870)and her dad was Vito Antonio Limongelli (born approx. 1870). Her father died while working on a church in Turkey between 1905 and 1908. Her Ellis Island papers show that her mom, sisters and brother emigrated from Montefalcone. We visited Paduli last month (hosted by the World Paduli Association) Paduli In America. We met a man who said that there were 5 Limongelli brothers that were from Benevento and during the Napoleanic wars they moved to Paduli and all of the Limongellis are descended from them. We can't really understand Italian, and the man told us this story in Italian! I was wondering if it sounded familiar to anyone of Limongelli ancestry.
lucera97

Re: Limongelli family from Paduli, Italy

Post by lucera97 »

My lastname is also Limongelli and maybe we can help each other. By accident I came on this website, so I logged in to respond you.
I am also very curious of the origin of my name.

Did you ever went to Italy? WE live in Europe, so we visited our family there. My grandfather died more than 30 years ago. When my grandpa was about 4 years old, he went with his siblings and his parents also to Italy. But someone got ill and when they went to a docter, they said that they had to go back to Italy. And they returned and they never came back.

It's possible that the name comes from origin from Benevento, because those Napoleatic wars were many years ago. And those 5 brothers also got children and they were going to live at some place else in the area.

We never knew that story and we also know if it's really true. But when he said it, it would be right. That also means, that we are family!
The parents of my grandfather also came from Bovino, but is also ofcourse possible that they did came from Paduli or their grandparents.

The names from your grandparents doesn's really sound familiar to us. But they came of course from an other city. We can speak Italian, so that's not a problem for us.
We also visited Bovino and we went to the house where my grandpa was born. And we asked the people about Limongelli and everybody knew the name. It's a popular name in that village. My grandfather also had brothers. And some of his brothers or uncles also emigrated to America.
Do you have more information about Limongellis in America? Because we are also searching Gaetano Limongelli and he is probably in Newark, but we are not sure.
lucera97

Post by lucera97 »

I mean that my grandpa went with his siblings and parents to America, I don't mean Italy. They got ill and they returned to Italy
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Hi, it is nice to find another Limongelli descendant. That was my grandmother's maiden name so the name has not continued through our branch of the family. My grandmother had a brother, Alfonso Limongelli. His son, William, is the last Limongelli that I know of in the U.S. We also had a great uncle named Rocco Limongelli who emigrated to the U.S. I believe he died in the 1960s. I would have to check the dates. He had two daughters, so the name ended with him.

We visited Italy in November of 2006. There are about 30 or more people named Limongelli in Paduli who are living. We met a Luigi Limongelli, who runs the local newspaper store. His son owns the store. His name is Samuel Limongelli. There is also a local cafe owned by a Limongelli today in Paduli. The owner of the local gun shop is also a Limongelli. I believe his name is Guiseppe Antonio. I met so many people that I can't recall their names. There is also a Limongelli family from Paduli in Australia who is living today. If you go to www.paduli-in-america.net there is a passenger list in Excel that lists all the Limongellis that came to America through Ellis Island from Paduli. I met members of the association who are descended from Donato Limongelli. The passenger list would have the dates that they emigrated to the U.S.

I don't know who my great grandfather's brother or sisters were. I would like to research that and that may produce the link with all the other Limongelli families in Paduli (and elsewhere).
critzi

Post by critzi »

:D Greetings from another Limongelli! My name is Lou and I, along with my wife and two sons (two more Limongelli men) live in New Jersey, USA.

I was just researching the Limongelli name in the Fogia, Italy area, which is where my father's family originated. His name was Louis, and he had a brother, Amerigo. their father, who was born in Fogia, was named Gabriel.

We're planning to visit the area this September, and I'm looking for any info that would be of interest.
:D
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Hi, Lou,

Welcome to the board! I have been thinking of asking ancestry.com to start a Limongelli board because there seems to be quite a bunch out there. Are you related to any of them in PA? I was searching through the white pages for lost Limongelli relatives and there are tons of them! I asked another Limongelli family who is visiting Paduli and speak fluent Italian if they could ask around about the story of the five brothers and verify it for me. I will post if anything ever comes out of it. Some other last names that are connected to my Limongelli family are Carozza and Mella. Of course, these are all from Paduli. We do have a Montefalcone Valfortore connection too...also in Benevento. Do you have any Rocco, Alfonso, Clementina names in your family? It seems like there are many Limongellis with this name. Perhaps from Italian naming traditions, there may be some common ancestor, way back.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

One more thing: There is now a Limongelli surname board on ancestry.com if you are interested. No posts yet, but maybe it will pick up.

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Poipuo4 wrote: We also had a great uncle named Rocco Limongelli who emigrated to the U.S. I believe he died in the 1960s. I would have to check the dates. He had two daughters, so the name ended with him.
If this man lived in Jenkins township, avoca, PA. He was my late mother in laws cousin.

My mother in laws parents were born in Paduli, Benevento. Her father Vincenzo D'Alessandro was born in paduli. Rocco was the son of his sister. He came to live with them as a boarder..then married and remained in the same neighborhood.

I believe I have his ship passenger record (1904 he was 16) and some censuses. I have the 1910 census where he is living with my mother in laws family. I also have him on the 1920 census, married, he was 31...but seems he has a son, anthony and possibly another son James..its not clear.

Roccos father was Giuseppe Limongelli.

I am so flustered here..I cant even think straight.

I have come up against a total brick wall with this family. The furthest I have gotten in 15 years is Vincenzos fathers name with was Giuseppe and his mothers name Clorinda Perruziello. I dont even have a first name for Roccos mother. I got the fathers name from Vincenzos obit..she is listed as Mrs Giuseppe Limongelli.

If any of this is familiar to you..I would like to compare notes. You are the first contact I have ever had for this branch of the family.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Eleven, I think we may be onto something. I believe we have a branch of our Limongelli family who, at least in the 1920s or 1930s, lived in PA. My father tells me that they worked for Bethlehem Steel. My cousin also told me that some of them worked in coal or coal mines in PA. There was a girl named Alisia, who she used to write to. Alisia would be in her 60s by now. I will look through my stuff too. It is very sketchy on the Limongelli side. I am still digging. I don't think your Rocco is the one in Hartsdale, but I found a Rocco in PA on ancestry.com who I think is a distant cousin. I am going to private message my e-mail to you, so check your mail box on this board. I have a picture of our Limongelli relatives in PA (no names). It is from the 1930s. If I e-mail it to you, maybe you will recognize people?

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I just checked and I have had your Rocco's WWI draft card saved in my "shoebox" on ancestry.com for a few months: Avoca, PA! Also, do these names from the 1920 census look familiar to you. Liongellis is mispelled in all of them:
Alphonse Limougelle
[Alphonse Limongelli]
Home in 1920: Bethlehem Ward 4, Northampton, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Mary
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1909
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 313
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Alphonse Limougelle 54
Mary Limougelle 54
Julia Fabozzi 25
Harry Lemouglli 22
Josephine Lemouglli 14
Irene Lemouglli 2 8/12
Peter Fabozzi 28

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

No..those dont look familiar to me.

I was not researching limongelli. I was looking up records for my husbands grandfather..and limongelli showed up as a boarder. I believe it must have said "nephew" for me to even know they were related.

The reason I researched limongelli at all..and have the ship passenger record..is because I was trying to find a town for the grandparents...and figured if limongelli was the nephew..then the town must be the same.

Apparently, my husbands grandfathers sister, married giuseppe limongelli..and rocco was the son.

I have the census page for roccos family..since my husbands grandfather is listed on the same page...but, my interest wasnt in rocco. I was using him to get information, if I could..on the grandfather..or even his mother, since I have no first name for her.

It was late last night..when I pulled out my book of documents. What I found, so far..was that census page, with rocco limongelli being the last on the page. I dont have a good copy and some of it seems to be cut off..being that I wasnt making the copy for him..but for the grandfathers family..who is a few people above that.

I can see roccos son anthony, clearly..the second son looks like James. Vincenzo..my husbands grandfather used the name James.

I have to look again, at these records. Maybe I can get more information.

I will email you.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Oops..I just missed the post you posted above the last one..lol

I wouldnt recognize these people. I dont think my husband would either.

His grandfather was dead before he was born. My hubby spent a lot of his childhood, there at that house in PA..which looks like it was on the same street as rocco. He may have seen him..but, that would have been in the 50s.

I am gonna look again..at the info I have. I think I only have that ship pass record..and a census or two..and the mention of his mothers name, which was actually mrs "giuseppe" which is the husbands name. I have no name for roccos mother.

Ok..lol I will email you now.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Ok, at the very least we are "paesani" with the Paduli connection! Go to www.paduli-in-america.net From that site, e-mail the administrator, Alex D'Angelis. He has plenty of Paduli contacts and is a wealth of information.

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Ok..I just sent off two emails to you. It has all of the info on my rocco. Seems he did have a couple of daughters..but, sons too.

I sent you the 3 censuses where he shows on the same page as my husbands grandfather.

I believe the first name rocco..is a very popular name in that town..probably is that of their patron saint.

I went over to ancestry, last night. Is that your information there? There is a family tree with limongelli there. One of the last names starts with a P..and is long..lol I wonder if that can be the surname of Vincenzos mother. I never quite bought the name on the death cert..being that when I looked at some film I had rented for that town..that name never showed up.

I may have originally spelled it wrong. Its Peruzziello. It never showed when I took a look at town records..so wondered if that wasnt the name at all.

I will check out that Padulli site. Thanks.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hello I am Ralph Mongelli. I took note your last spelling Limongelli. would Limongelli family last name some how link my last name Mongelli?