DeLucia search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: DeLucia search

Post by wldspirit »

We still have alot of poking around to do......the whole marriage at 16 threw me off to.....and DeLucia is a popular name....it may be a good fit otherwise....but need to dig into the manifest further......I concentrated more on the census.....and only looked for manifest under correct spelling,
We need more research into this.......will check back in later.
Lisa
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: DeLucia search

Post by nuccia »

Not sure this is Minnie..but looks close.

Social Security Death Index
about Minnie Delucia
Name: Minnie Delucia
SSN: xxx-xx-7120
Last Residence: 06517 Hamden, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
Born: 2 Jan 1900
Died: Jun 1991
State (Year) SSN issued: Connecticut (Before 1951 )

Looks like she could have died in California if its her..pretty could match I'd say.

California Death Index, 1940-1997
about MINNIE DELUCIA
Name: DELUCIA, MINNIE
Social Security #: xxxxx7120
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 1 Jan 1901
Birthplace: OTHER COUNTRY
Death Date: 20 Jun 1991
Death Place: LOS ANGELES
Mother's Maiden Name: FARINA
Father's Surname: MAGLIOCCA
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: DeLucia search

Post by nuccia »

Her fathers death info..I'm going around the bush here but hopefully something will connect eventually.

Connecticut Death Index, 1949-2001
about ANGEL MAGLIOCCA
Name: ANGEL MAGLIOCCA
Death Date: 31 Jan 1963
Death Place: New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut
Age: 88 Years
Birth Date: xxxYOB
Marital Status: Widowed
Spouse: MARI
State File #: 01274
Residence: East Haven, New Haven, Connecticut
Gender: Male
Race: White
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: DeLucia search

Post by nuccia »

SimoneTessitore wrote:Yes, I'd love to see / print the manifest.

Can you think of any way to find Salvators wife Minnie's maiden name? Or if her father is Pasqual Russo (or Rossi)? I think she is the sister of my great grandmother, Maria Russo (or Rossi), but until I get the film from LDS I really don't know.

Any tips on how to best read the microfilm? I've never looked at anything like that before.

Thank you,
Judging by the death info I posted, Minnie could have been the daughter of Angelo and Mary from the 1930 Census...your thoughts would be great on this.

As for the microfilm..its not that hard to read until you go back further. Then it looks like chicken scratch to me. Do you have the exact place of birth for your ancestors? Have you already ordered films?

This post by Trish gives a lot of good info on the films.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html

and another great thread by Trish..

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2113.html

This should get you started I think. Hope it answered your question.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 31 Oct 2006, 00:00
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: DeLucia search

Post by SimoneTessitore »

I think you hit the jackpot with Minnie. I was told these people are all from my ggrandmothers sisters. But the maiden name Farina is my ggrandmother's 2nd husband, Vincenzo (James) Farina(o). They are on the 1930 census right above the DeLucias and grew up together.

And Angelo DeLucia (5 on the census) is now in his 80's and lives in the Los Angeles area.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this one. So Minnie is the daughter of Mari(y) Farina and Angelo Magliocci. Which makes Mari(y) and Vincent Farino brother and sister?

I don't know how you guys do this every day. It just gave me a headache.
Simone
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: DeLucia search

Post by nuccia »

Simone,

How are you keeping track of all this info? Are you keeping paper records or are you using a software program? It will drive you nuts if you don't document everything and in a week you'll forget everything! Names seem to blend together after a while.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 31 Oct 2006, 00:00
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: DeLucia search

Post by SimoneTessitore »

I've been using Family Tree Maker which I just love. I'm printing everything, including all emails with the family. Things that are kind of speculative I'm still printing but not yet loading into the software.

I think I got kind of lost on this issue because there's a whole extra generation I missed. I think the above information on Minnie, and the connection to the Magliocca's is good information and I'm going to put it in to the program today. You're right about the memory, nothing sticks like it used to.

Thanks again for all of your help. Now I just have to be patient and wait for the film to arrive. I sure hope I can find what I need.

Simone
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 135
Joined: 09 Oct 2006, 00:00

Re: DeLucia search

Post by Esperanza »

Hi Simone,

Hope your headache is doing a bit better...

In my opinion....

The origin town of interest could be Santa Maria a Vico (S. Maria a Vico)

There is a manifest of a Tommaso DeLucia born in 1891 (+ -) from the town mentioned above.

The manifest does not view as it is mis-linked when using the Ellis Island website. Another problem is... there is a line running through his name... so he may have not sailed on that boat or on that day... there could be another manifest somewhere. Good thing is... at least there is some info on this boat record...

Found it doing a page by page search and created a new link for you.
First Name: Tommaso
Last Name: De Lucia
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: S. Maria a Vico, Caserta
Date of Arrival: Jul 01, 1910
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Barbarossa
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0011

Page one

Page 2

This Tommaso would be joining his uncle Domenico DeLucia in New Haven.

Father mentioned on manifest is Michele who is in S. Maria

Also, line 17 of the same manifest shows a Vincenzo DeLucia but from a different town S. Felice (?) who's father in Italy is Luigi. This Vincenzo would be joining his b-i-law (?) Angelo DeLucia
--------------------------------------------------
There is also a manifest of a Michele DeLucia and a Carlo DeLucia traveling together, though it doesn't say whether the two were brothers.

Will be linking that one soon too... back shortly...

---------------------------

The name Minnie... could be Domenica
User avatar
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 31 Oct 2006, 00:00
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: DeLucia search

Post by SimoneTessitore »

I've said it before, I'll say it again, you guys just amaze me.
Simone
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: DeLucia search

Post by wldspirit »

The origin town of interest could be Santa Maria a Vico (S. Maria a Vico)
Per Salvatore's draft record and ship manifest this would be a good possibility.......but I still have a problem with Salvatore being married at 16......that has to be an error???
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: DeLucia search

Post by wldspirit »

Still trying to nail down Salvator......this is ONLY a possible......do any of these names seem familiar??

1920 United States Federal Census

Name: Salvador Delucia
Home in 1920: New Haven Ward 4, New Haven, Connecticut
Age: 21 years
Estimated birth year: abt 1899
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Male
Year of Immigration: 1913
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 136

Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Sabatini 40
Josephine Sabatini 41
Mariana Sabatini 18
Luigi Delucia 24
Salvador Delucia 21
John Mona 42
Antonio Cazolina 37

wldspirit
User avatar
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 31 Oct 2006, 00:00
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: DeLucia search

Post by SimoneTessitore »

You guys have established for me that Mari Farina was the sister of my ggrandmother's second husband, Vincenzo Farina. She married Angelo Magliocca and had Domenica (Minnie) Magliocca who married Salvator Delucia and then had Angelo Delucia. whew!! That's as far as I need to go with this.

The only question left unanswered is what are the names of Vincenzo and Mari Farina's parents? Any clues?
Simone
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: DeLucia search

Post by nuccia »

I found this manifest which may be something to consider..

Maria Farina
7 Dec 1892
abt 1889
Female
Naples
Italian
Gioval

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Maria Farina
Name: Maria Farina
Estimated birth year: abt 1889
Age: 3
Gender: Female
Port of Departure: Naples
Place of Origin: Italian
Ship Name: Gioval
Search Ship Database: Search the Gioval in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 33
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_600
Page Number: 4

Click Here

Traveling with her mother Domenica and brother Carmino. I can't make out if it says single or married or something else since they use " marks but they're in transit going through New York. Again, its just a consideration.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
mimishell
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 15:15

Re: DeLucia search

Post by mimishell »

Hello Simone,
I have been searching (unsuccessfully) for my grandmother Filomena Rossi Deleppo who died in Waterbury New Haven Conn. around 1927. I know her brother was Pasquale Rossi, and a family member thinks they may have been from Foggia Italy.
Regarding your Dec. 5th and 6th, 2006 post:
Today I was on the Ellis Island site and I saw; a Filomena, an Apollina, and a Maria Rossi who appear to be the children of a Carmela Magliocca who was going to meet her husband Pasquale Rossi at 226 Commerce St. New Haven Conn. They were from Fiacchia Italy (not Foggia, but they do sound a little alike!). The ship was the Italia, it left Naples on 6/15/1906 and arrived in NYC on 6/29/1906.
I have no idea if this is my Filomena but it really looks like it may be your Maria.
The very best of luck to you in your search!
Michelle
Post Reply