mircrofilm translations

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

mircrofilm translations

Post by SimoneTessitore »

Hi everyone. I finally got my film from Utah and could only spend about 2 hours looking at it before they closed up shop on me. However I did copy anything that had my family last name on it, just to get started and familiar with what I'm looking at. What I have is titled:

Commune di Caserta
Anno 1905
Registro
Atti di Nascita.

Then a list of records. Once I find a record with a family name of course I can't read it. I know Nascita is birth. And of course each of the records in this section are the same with the 'fill in the blanks' type format. Is there a place I can read what these formats are in English? Then trying to decipher the hand writing might be easier.

I then got to Indice Annuale (index?).

Anno 1905 Registro, Pubblicazioni di Matrimoni and Atti di Matrimonio. What's the difference between these two? And Atti di Morte, I know that one is death records.

Thanks again for your help.
Simone
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: mircrofilm translations

Post by ricbru »

For the birth act the format tranlsated is about like that:

In the year of..........day.........of the month of............before to me....(name of registrar or his deputy) appeared and came to me....(father of the baby or midwife), aged......, job........who declares that yesterda/today a baby boy/girl was born in the house located in Via (address) from (name of mother), his wife living with him. He shows me the baby and gives the name of.....
For this declaration there are two witnesses
Name, age, job
Name, age, job
both resident in this town.
I read the record and all people present and I sign the record
(usually the record is signed only by the registrar because the witnesses and the father or midwife were illiterate)

Pubblicazioni di matrimonio is a book of records concerning datas when the couple applies for marriage, Atti di matrimonio is Marriage record
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hope this answers your question:

One set of records deals only with the marriage act, called the "atti di matrimonio", The other set of records, which can be very valuable for genealogical research, includes all the documents that were required by law before the marriage could be performed,. These records are usually called "pubblicazioni". The marriage ceremony was actually the last step in a long bureaucratic process. It was first neccessary to make out a document in which the couple declared their intention to be married: it was called the "atto di solenne promessa di celebrare il matrimonio". Then the bann called "notificazione, was written. Finally, several weeks later, the actual marriage was performed.

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Riccardo.......sorry......I was still typing when you posted....so I did not
see your reply.... :oops:

Simone.....the book which I quoted above is excellent, it gives many examples of documents, language and formats of records. It is by
Trafford Cole and the name is: Italian Genealogical Records, it can be obtained thru Barnes and Noble, but you may have to order it. It is a fast, easy read and gets right to the point, no fluff!!
wldspirit
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Don't worry wildspirit
there is an interesting link about "Allegati"
I suggest you to read it

http://www.pricegen.com/resources/allegati.htm

bye Riccardo
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Very good article.....thank you Riccardo....... :D
Lee

Simone.....I do not know if this was provided to you before, but this may help:

Italian:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

and one for Latin:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... LLatin.ASP
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks guys. I'm going to do my best to duplicate it here and maybe some one can help me decipher:

L'anno millenovecentocinque, addi ________ di ________ a ore ____ meridiane ________ a minuti ________, nella Cass Comunale.

Avanti di mo _____________________________________________
________________________________________________________.

Uffiziale dello Stato Civilo del Comune di Caserta e compare __________________, di anni ____________, * ____________ domiciliat ____ in ____________, ___ ! ____ quale mi ha dichiarato che alle oro _____ meridiane ______ e minuti _________, del di __________ del ________ mese, nella casa posta in _________________ al numero ____________________ da ____________________________________
__________ e nato an bambino di sesso _________________ che _______ ini presents, c a cui d _____ nom _____ di _________________
__________________________________________________.

A quento sopra o a questo atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni _________________________, di anni ___________________, e _____________________, di anni _________________ entranibi residenti in questo Comune.

Anybody?????
Simone
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the translation / language link. It will help. I printed it and have translated alot of the format, but not all. And the handwriting is horrible to try to read. Is the name listed on the side the name of the child being registered?
Simone
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I know many of the words......but not enough to give you a clear translation......better off to leave this one to the pros!!!!
Lee
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

This should help. The first link has forms to help with translantions.

http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/Tips.htm

Debbie
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Debbie that's perfect, it's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much. Now if I can figure out the handwriting I'm all set.
:?
Simone
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI Simone,

Glad its what you were looking for. There is lots of help here, just let us know what you need. The handwriting gets easier, the more you do this.

The book Wildspirt recommended is a great resource for explaining these records and has examples of translated records. I still refer to mine.

Debbie
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

SimoneTessitore wrote:L'anno millenovecentocinque, addi ________ di ________ a ore ____ meridiane ________ a minuti ________, nella Cass Comunale.

Avanti di mo _____________________________________________
________________________________________________________.

Uffiziale dello Stato Civilo del Comune di Caserta e compare __________________, di anni ____________, * ____________ domiciliat ____ in ____________, ___ ! ____ quale mi ha dichiarato che alle oro _____ meridiane ______ e minuti _________, del di __________ del ________ mese, nella casa posta in _________________ al numero ____________________ da ____________________________________
__________ e nato an bambino di sesso _________________ che _______ ini presents, c a cui d _____ nom _____ di _________________
__________________________________________________.

A quento sopra o a questo atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni _________________________, di anni ___________________, e _____________________, di anni _________________ entranibi residenti in questo Comune.

Hi Simone,

VaDeb (Debbie) gave you a great link!!! And Wldpirit gave you some good information too!

However, just in case you want to know the translation for your own record, this will help.

In the year one thousand nine hundred five (Year), of the day (day), of the (month), at the hour (hour) ante/post meridian, and minute (minute number), in the Town House.

Before me (Mayor’s name or Councilman’s writing the information name), and the Official of Vital Records of the Town of Caserta, and appeared (Father’s Name or Midwife’s Name), of age (age), (occupation), residing in Caserta (or Town’s Name), who has introduced at the hour (hour), ante/post meridian, and minute (minute), of the day (date), of the (month or the word “currentâ€
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum