Another Giuseppe Epifano Letter to sister Carmela

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Biff83
Master
Master

Another Giuseppe Epifano Letter to sister Carmela

Post by Biff83 »

The attached images are from a letter my grandfather sent his sister Carmela in 1955 relative to his need for a birth certificate from San Mango. It's my first serious attempt at translating and I've posted my translation below. I would appreciate if someone could translate for me and critique my translation as well. Thanks in advance.

Page 1

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2667 ... tr1ur3.jpg

Page 2

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1161/b ... tr2yb1.jpg

My translation

"Dear Sister,

Very belatedly (with much delay), I am responding to your cherished letters, and I am happy to hear about your news that you told me about your feeling better for a while. I hope that at this time you are much better. I am sending all of you forever (as always) the grace (blessing) of Divine Providence. Before saying good-bye, dear sister, many months ago I wrote if you would get a birth certificate with my name written as Joseph Bifano instead of Epifano because I took that name when I was working for the D&H Company in 1908. I wasn't able to read or write and my name has been Joseph Bifano instead of Epifano. So now when I go to apply for my pension, I must have a birth certificate that's written Joseph Bifano not Epifano. I believe that you understood me. I am now informed that a baptismal certificate from the church done by a priest is as good. So I ask that you do this favor for me for which I will be in your debt and forever thankful.

I have to write my name,

Joseph Bifano, born 31 August 1989 (should be 1889)"
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Another Giuseppe Epifano Letter to sister Carmela

Post by liviomoreno »

Your translation is OK!
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Another Giuseppe Epifano Letter to sister Carmela

Post by Biff83 »

liviomoreno wrote:Your translation is OK!
Grazie, Livio. I'll give a try at translating another letter this weekend.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"