Found a picture of ggrandmother in her casket, was this norm

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bobby82569

Found a picture of ggrandmother in her casket, was this norm

Post by bobby82569 »

My grandmother was from Casoli and arrived on Ellis Island on May 8, 1911 at the age of 17. Also we have a photo in the form of a postcard of her mother in her casket leaning against an outside wall. It was mailed to my grandmother over 45 years ago. My mom was born and raised in Washington DC and her father was Peitro Genovere or sometimes he spelled it Genovese. Does anyone know if pictures like this were common? Thanks
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Re: Found a picture of ggrandmother in her casket, was this

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Well as to how common it was/is I don't really know, but I have similar pictures myself. I have a picture of my grandfather's grandfather in his casket and his funeral procession. I also have some of my great grandma who died in 2001! I was 9 at the time and thought that it was odd but I have seen many members of my family do it, so I guess it's normal (either that or our families are weird!) So I hope that will help you, but as for me I will not be continuing that tradition....

Mike
bobby82569

Post by bobby82569 »

LOL! My mother passed away a few months ago of cancer and I have enough of my friends thinking I was weird for doing her hair for her funeral ( I'm a hairstylist and she was vain lol, and promised her I would do it) but I agree with you and didn't take pics of her and won't have any taken of me!!
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

My dad passed away in Terrasini in 1963 and his sister sent us a picture of him in his casket.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I was twelve when my Grandmother died (which was not that long ago by the way).Image I refused to go to the funeral even though I was named after her because it was the first time I ever had to deal with death. I always regretted not going. About a month ago I was at my mothers house confiscating some of the family photos and guess what I found??? I knew it existed but it did feel weird.

Although I won't be continuing the practice either, I was glad I saw it..it was closure for me after all this time.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

When my grandpa died in 2001, I couldn't go to the burial, I wish I did now but I cried so much I couldn't really breathe. So Bobby we aren't the only ones with families that do this odd practice!
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MauroMags »

i was told that this was common practice between families seperated by long distances. For example, it was proof for family members living in America that g-grandpa was really dead
Jsks916
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jsks916 »

I can remember my grandmother having pictures like that also. Always thought it was alittle weird too. I know my mother said the funerals use to be in the home. The body would be in the casket in the living room and would be there over night sometimes for viewing! Don't think I'd be comfortable with that either!
bobby82569

Post by bobby82569 »

My grandfather was laid out for viewing in my parent's living room also. Funny story, my mother went downstairs and found some of the men of the family playing poker and drinking so she poured the booze down the sink,took the money (and thanked them for raising money for the church, she was very polite lol!!), and told them to go upstairs and pray for the deceased. He passed away in 1957 so I didn't experience any of this but I'm sure if I was there it wouldn't have seemed weird, just Italian!!!
Marianne316
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marianne316 »

in my family there are a few pics like that - there are pics of my paternal grandfather in a casket (d. 1963) alone and then some where his brother stood next to him in a posed photo - THAT I think is weird. My grandmother hates that those pics exist but she will not destroy them. We are not allowed to talk about them or ask to see them but we all know where they are kept.

Now on my mother's side...my grandmother's brother died when he was 13yrs old of pneumonia. There aren't many pics of him but there is a beautifully tragic scene of him in his casket laid out in the living room with flowers and palm fronds. It is actually an 8x10.

I never thought it was weird since in my reality those kind of photos exists on both sides of the family. But just those two - there aren't pics of everyone that has passed away.

But to people outside the family it always seemed so macabre...

I happen to think esp the pics taken "back then" was b/c there weren't alot of pics like people take today - it is a rembrance, as sorrowful as it is.