Search for Milazzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Search for Milazzo

Post by yjg1111 »

I am applying for dual citizenship jure sanguinis but need to find out if my great grandparents were married in Poggioreale (born and raised there) or if they married after they came to the US around 1888.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Search for Milazzo

Post by wldspirit »

Have you searched for the ship manifest, this will usually state married or single.......
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yjg1111 »

Thank you for the information!
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

yjg1111 wrote:I am applying for dual citizenship jure sanguinis but need to find out if my great grandparents were married in Poggioreale (born and raised there) or if they married after they came to the US around 1888.
Hi YJG,

Can you please tell us the names of your ancestors who came to the USA?

Can you please tell us where they settled in the USA?

Wlspirit is correct that a ship's manifest can state when they were married. However, you are going to need a copy of the marriage document if you are going for dual citizenship.

You can always write the town in order to find out if they were married in the town.

Here is my advice to you.

Since you do not know the exact date of marriage, I would use the microfilm from the LDS (Family History Center) and try to find the copy of the Marriage Record yourself. Once you find the record, then I would write to the town and request an "Extraction Record" of the Marriage Record. You will have all the correct information from the microfilm so it will make the clerk in the Office of Vital Records job a lot easier to send you and "Extraction" back.

This is just a note (tidbit) of information:
No matter what you do, you still need a copy from the town itself when you are going for dual citizenship for you need their "Seal". However, if you don't know the date or year of marriage, the clerk in the Office of Vital Records in Italy, might not look for your record. So it's always best to be as accurate as possible when requesting records from Italy, and the microfilm could always help you accomplish a faster response.

Here is a link to the film numbers from the Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... eno=543265

Here is the link to the find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Here is the address for the town and don't forget to send a copy of a photo ID such as your driver's license and 2 IRC's which are International Reply Coupons that you can get from the Post Office for $1.80 each.

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Poggioreale
Via Ximenes
91020 Poggioreale TP
ITALY

Here is a link from ICC that will help you translate your letter into Italian.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Here is the official web site for the town.
http://www.comune.poggioreale.tp.it/

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yjg1111 »

Trish, you can't imagine how helpful you have been!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much. There is actually a family center here in my city so I will be able to go in there! YAHOO! I am applying for dual citizenship with my sisters and my two sons so we are trying to find as many documents as we can on our own. Do you professionally track down documents and obtain them for people? I would be interested in using you as I don't always have time to search. I'm definitely the one spearheading this project so at this point I am the best informed about this whole process (scary thought!). We would be willing, of course, to pay for someone's professional services. Let me know. Again, THANKS!
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

You can always do this work yourself! All you need is time and patience! :D

However, I did send you a private message.

Smile for me!:D
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yjg1111 »

I am looking for Salvatore Milazzo and Luigia Zumma. I think they came to the US about 1888. I was told they came to Louisiana but someone else said they came through New York and then went to Louisiana. They were in Louisiana for a short period of time, moved to Brazos County Texas and then moved to Hinsdale, Illinois. Salvatore had an identical twin brother, Frank. He was born about 1863.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

yjg1111 wrote:I am looking for Salvatore Milazzo and Luigia Zumma. I think they came to the US about 1888. I was told they came to Louisiana but someone else said they came through New York and then went to Louisiana. They were in Louisiana for a short period of time, moved to Brazos County Texas and then moved to Hinsdale, Illinois. Salvatore had an identical twin brother, Frank. He was born about 1863.
Hi Julie,

I got your fax and will be writing you shortly.

I want to double check a few things. Do you know what Luigia used for an Americanized name? I found this in the 1920 census records in Texas and what to make sure I'm looking at the right family. If it's not, please tell me.

Thanks
Trish

Name: Sam Mallazzs
[Sam Melluzzo]
Home in 1920: Pittbridge, Burleson, Texas
Estimated birth year: abt 1864
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Lara A
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1889
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 738
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Sam Mallazzs 56
Lara A Mallazzs 54
Joe Mallazzs 24
George Mallazzs 22
Sarah Mallazzs 15
Tony Mallazzs 13
Frank Mallazzs 11
Laur Mallazzs 8
Lucy Mallazzs 6
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Julie,

I believe you have this census. Per this census, it does state the Salvatore is an Alien. However, you should still try to see if there is a naturalization record.

Name: Samuel Milazzo
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Estimated birth year: abt 1863
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head

Household Members: Name Age
Samuel Milazzo 67
Anthony Milazzo 34
Frank Milazzo 21
Sam Milazzo 19
Lucille Milazzo 17

Now you can still try the Great Lakes Region of NARA to make sure he was never naturalized before he died.

You also can try the films that the Family History Center has on microfilm from the Circuit Courts.
click here

You should just double check to make sure you don't find the record. And if he was not naturalized, then you do need to wait for the actual document from USCIS stating he was not naturalized.

Still looking
Trish

http://www.archives.gov/great-lakes/chi ... cords.html
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yjg1111 »

I believe Luigia went by Louise or Louisa. She is listed as Louise on Sam's death certificate. Some of those names in the 1920 census are correct but some of the names I don't recognize (which doesn't mean anything since I don't really have a geneology of the family through that line. I know my father has one that was done but he is out of town until the end of this month and I live rather far away from him to go and get it. I could call him, though, and ask him about these other names.
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yjg1111 »

Where is the best place to find ship's manifests? I need to find one to see if it states whether my great grandfather, Salvatore Milazzo, was married when he came over from Sicily or not. My dad thought he arrived in Louisiana but another relative says he came through Ellis Island and then went on to Louisiana. Thanks!
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Possible 1889 ship manifest for Salvatore Milazzo

Vessel Letimbro, Palermo to New Orleans, passenger 9th from the bottom

Passenger Salvatore Milazzo, age 26, no marital status and no place of birth given.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6115 ... manuv5.jpg

Check a few lines above and you will see a Luigia Zummo, age 4. Edited to delete a comment. Also note some of the other surnames on the page and check against common past and present surnames on the following site on Poggioreale.

http://www.poggioreale.net/
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yjg1111 »

Thanks Biff83! Although Salvatore married a Luigia Zummo but I doubt she was 4!! I see there is also a Cannatella which was my grandmothers name. But I digress. Hmmm. Don't know if that would be the same Salvatore or not. It seems hard to believe they would have messed up on the age of Luigia by that much!! I think she was a couple of years younger than Salvatore.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

yjg1111,

Can you verify the 1930 Chicago census record for the family? I'm asking because if it is correct and if Salvatore emigrated in 1889, there must be at least two ship manifests since son Anthony was born circa 1896 in Italy. The census also shows his age at first marraige as 32 which would be circa 1895. And based on the birthdates and birthplaces of sons Frank and Sam, about 1909 in Louisianna and about 1911 in Texas respectively, the family would have moved from Louisianna to Texas in that time frame. Still looking for possible 1900 census records.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yjg1111 »

Biff83, the 1930 census I found for him was under Samuel Milazzo. I have Tony born 12/12/1906 in Texas. My grandfather, Joe, was born in 1895, Sam was born in 1900. So, I don't think it is the right one.