Hello

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lastort

Hello

Post by Lastort »

I'm a new member, and I just wanted to drop in and say hello.

I'm 1/2 Italian. My great-grandparents on my father's side came from Abruzzo (their town is now in Molise) and Sicilia.

Giuseppe Listorti arrived in the US on September 22nd, 1902 on the ship named Lahn. His name was changed from Listorti to Lastort at Ellis Island, either by his choice or because the immigration officials didn't understand him. That part of the family history isn't clear. His wife Carmella arrived in the US on May 23rd on the ship named Republic. Giuseppe and Carmella were my grandfather's parents. They were born in Castelbottaccio which is near Campobasso.

Antonio Fiore arrived in the US on April 26th 1905 on the ship named Cretic. His future wife Ignazia Pagano arrived in the US on May 10th, 1907 on the ship named Konig Albert. They were from San Piero Patti in Sicily, which is a bit north of Mount Aetna.

In 1985 I was lucky enough to visit the Listorti's hometown with my parents and sisters. I'm hoping to visit San Piero Patti next year.

I'm only half Italian, but I'm very proud of my Italian heritage.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I hasten to tell you that no names were changed at Ellis Island and that when person arrived from Italy they had valid Italian issued government passports or other travel documents with their true identity. When persons arrived int he USA the ships manifest would have the correct name and if any name changes took polace they took place while the immigrant was in the USA after entering the social fabric of the country. I ghave noted that when they transposed the names to the computer website for ellis island typos took place sine persons transposing the names from the manifests and records mader errors which appear on your computer. If you review the manifest you will probably see his correct surname listed. Please let me know what you find. Peter
Lastort

Post by Lastort »

Ellis Island Records (EllisIslandRecords.org) list his name as Listorti. I guess he did it himself by choice after he got here to sound more "American," which was the official story that I've heard growing up.
Lastort

Post by Lastort »

Oh, and I meant to say that my grandmother's side of the family was Sicilian, my grandfather's Abruzzese.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Nice combination of genes! If you need anything please let me know. Peter