Looking for information on Malan family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
niccib

Looking for information on Malan family

Post by niccib »

Hi There
I am new to this site and would like to find out information about the Malan family history. If there is already a thread with information regarding this please point me in the right direction.
Thank you,
Nicci
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for information on Malan family

Post by ricbru »

Malan is a last name very common in the municipality of Luserna San Giovanni in the province of Torino, region of Piemonte,
to start... I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
niccib

Post by niccib »

Hi Riccardo
I know that the Malan surname is well known in Piemonte. I visited the region in 2002 and went to Serre Malan near Torre Pellice and other Waldensian sites. Although my grandfather from my mother's side is Malan I look so much like the people in that region that everyone took me for an Italian. To me as well there were people there who looked like my family. It was really something to see that after 400 years family traces are still visible.
Apparently it was Jacques Malan who came to South Africa. According to some records he originated from Merindol in France. I would like to know how he was then linked to Piemonte?
Nicci
Haddonchap

Post by Haddonchap »

Hi Nicci
Like you I am a newbe, but my Granmother was a Malan from the Torre region. Your first port of call should be the "Church of the latter day saints" followed by the "Piemont Family Orginsation". both these sights will give you more than you can handle. It will be a long slog as the following was practised back then.

The couples first son was named after the fathers father - the babys paternal granfather
The first daughter was named after the fathers mother - the babys paternal granmother
The second son was named after the mothers father - the babys maternal granfather
The second daughter was named after the mothers mother - the babys naternal granmother.

As a result you have to pay close attention to the dates as there are a lot of the same names floating around!!!

Have fun, its great.

Haddon.
JenniferStein

Post by JenniferStein »

I have been seeking information about a James Bonnet who left Piemonte aboard the Triton on March 15, 1855, sailing from Calais to London. He ultimately married a Welsh lady in the US in 1855 and they headed out to Provo Utah.

Aboard the Triton on that day were the following Piemontesi:
Jean Daniel Malan, Etienne Malan, Pauline Malan, Emilie Malan, and Madalaine Malan.

I have a photocopy of the ship's boarding list for those researching the Malan family.

All the best,

Jen
Haddonchap

Post by Haddonchap »

Hi Jennifer
A copy of the boarding list would be great as I have hit a brick wall with my research.
Haddon Chap
UK.
JenniferStein

Post by JenniferStein »

Hello Malan followers,

I can't figure out how to get the ship's passenger list on this site (even reducing the pixel size it's still too large a file)- but I could probably email it to anyone who would like to see it. Give me your email and I'll sent it along.

I found out that 'Gaydon' was the married name of Jean D. Malan's eldest daughter.

Thanks to all the wonderful help!

Jen
JenniferStein

Post by JenniferStein »

Checkout this site - lots of GREAT info on the Malan immmigration: http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/4 ... dmont.html

Jen
JenniferStein

Post by JenniferStein »

I tried to post the image of the book which records the transit of the Malans from Calais to London, but since I got it from Ancestry.com (not public) I cannot transfer it to this site.
If anyone would like me to email a jpeg of the book, just send me your email.

It has handwriting in wonderful calligraphy, and it says:
"A LIST OF ALIENS
I, the undersigned, being Master of the Triton bound from Calais to the port of London do, in compliance with the Provisions of an Act of Parliament, ...

Christian and Surnames. Prenoms et Noms. /
Quality. Profession./
Native Country.Pays de Naissance.

No.13 (number of passengers)

Lav... Pierre/Marchand/Gravelines
Bertez Pierre/Marchand/Gravelines
Vistor Gonard/ "/Pierre les Euleris?
B... Napoleon/"/Belgium
... Spire/rentier/...
Jean Daniel Malan/Agriculteur/Piedmont
Etienne ditto/ditto/ditto
Pauline ditto/-/ditto
Mriette Gaydon/-/ditto
Emilie Malan/-/ditto
Madalaine ditto/-/ditto
James Bonnet/ditto/ditto
Bartock Jean/ditto/ditto
To the Chief Officer of the Customs Dated this 15th day of March 1855 at the port of London"
JackM

Post by JackM »

My great grandfather's (John Daniel Monnet b. 1834 in the Piedmont) first wife was Mary Malan. They were the parents of Reuben, Louise and Julius who emigrated to Chicago, USA. Following Mary's death, John Daniel married Marie Vuagniaux from Switzerland. I have reached an impasse in finding any records indicating Mary Malan's family, her birth or death, or her marriage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

There is also a Malan family in the Netherlands. The Dutch Civil State is online: http://www.genlias.nl/en/page0.jsp (also in English). I saw that one Fritz Edoardo Malan son of Federico Matteo Malan was born around 1864 in San Giovanni and marries in the Netherlands.
I saw also the deathact of Jenny Malan from 1898 age 70 (so born around 1828), parents Stefano Malan and Paolina Goante (sounds Italian to me)
Perhaps it means something to you.

Good luck
JackM

Post by JackM »

Thanks for the tip. I did a quick search on the Dutch site without results. The family appears to have been quite involved in Angrogna in the Piedmont region and apparently wed there.

Does anyone have any pedigree charts or family group sheets of the 19th century Malans or Monnets in that area?
lydiameyer

Post by lydiameyer »

I talked to my uncle a few days ago and apparently he did our family- tree. It originated in Piemonte Italy -from there they went to Netherland then France and then to South Africa. He is "before Computers" and has all the info on lots and lots of paper. He said that he will ask someone to scan the documents and email me - from there I can help the Malan family search in South Africa and perhaps discover long lost family!
maricapo

Post by maricapo »

Hallo everybody, I see that most of these post are quite old but i am hoping that someone might be able to help.
I myself is a Malan from South Africa, I was told that our family has originated from France. Arriving in South Africa in 1888. Is there anybody that has an immigration log into SA for that year?
jmalan4

Post by jmalan4 »

Hi maricapo and lydiameyer. If you don't know about it yet, Dr Hercules Malan of South Africa published two volumes on the Malan Family of South Africa during 1998. I'm quite sure that he may have information you'd be interested in and you may have something for him as well. He is currently busy with a new edition of the book. You can contact him on hmmalan@global.co.za.
Hope this helps all three of you.