naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
girty
Veteran
Veteran

naturalization

Post by girty »

does anyone know how long it would have taken for some one to file for naturalization and actually becoming a citizen? My great-granfather's certificate of naturalization is dated July 8th, 1898, how far back would i have to look for his intent paperwork. Latterday saints has records, but i'm not sure how long he would have had to wait for this paper i have.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Send me your e-mail in a private message. Peter
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Re: naturalization

Post by regina »

If your great-grandfather served in the U.S. military and received an honorable discharge, he would not have needed to file a Declaration of Intention. Otherwise, he would have filed a Declaration of Intention at least two years before becoming naturalized.

I say "at least" because he might have waited several years before finalizing the naturalization process. One of my relatives filed his Declaration in 1888, but did not bother to become naturalized until 1898.

Good luck with your research,
Regina
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Girty I am still waiting for your e-mail address in my private messages so I can send you information. Peter
AngelaM

Post by AngelaM »

Would they have to wait 2 years? I'm asking because I think I found my relatives (with the help of a friend here) on a ship list arriving at Ellis Island. The ship arrived in 1901. I found a US census with my family members and it shows that they were naturalized in 1901. Is it possible to do this within the same year of arrival to the US?
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by girty »

Would they have to wait 2 years? I'm asking because I think I found my relatives (with the help of a friend here) on a ship list arriving at Ellis Island. The ship arrived in 1901. I found a US census with my family members and it shows that they were naturalized in 1901. Is it possible to do this within the same year of arrival to the US?

from what i have discovered it is possible. but prior to 1906 some states required little information. also never fully trust the census, always have back up information. my relatives answered question differently each year.