Looking for info on Raia geneaology

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Eton

Looking for info on Raia geneaology

Post by Eton »

This is all becoming more difficult than I thought it would. I'm at a bit of a standstill on trying to obtain a death certificate for my great grandfather because they request parent names and social security number (which I don't know if he ever had).

This is all the info I've been able to gather so far:
Name: Giacomo Raia (on the 1930 census it was changed to Jack Raia, and all of the family was still documented as aliens, except for grandfather who was born in the U.S.)
Born: Around 1876 in Bisacquino, Sicily
Lived in Manhatten district 12
He arrive in New York in 1812. his wife arrived with their children in 1916, but they were married in Italy.

Wife: Mary Raia, maiden name Bruno
Born: Around 1880 in Bisacquino, Sicily

It's not a very common surname, so research on sites hasn't really turned up much useful information, and although both my grandparents are still alive, they can't remember much about him.

Any info would be much appreciated.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Looking for info on Raia geneaology

Post by vj »

If you think this may be his record, it has the certificate #.
Should be all you need to order it... vj

Surname Given Name Age Month Day Year Certificate
Number County
Raia Giacomo 72 y May 3 1948 4825 Bronx
how to order
Eton

Post by Eton »

Thanks, that might be it. But he also might have died when he was younger. How did you find that?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I'm sorry, I should have put up the link, vj
Outstanding free database for New York City
records:
IGG
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Giacomo arrived on Aug 13, 1913...going to meet sister Kate and brother Saverio. Ship was the America.

Maria Bruno arrived with children on Feb 25, 1916 on the Giuseppe Verdi. She left her father, Mariano Bruno in Italy.

If you need copies let me know. I wasn't sure if you had this info or not.
Eton

Post by Eton »

Wow, that's great. Thanks so much. Where'd you find that info at?
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Ellis Island Arrivals:

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... 4015525942

This is for Mary and the children. But after looking at the one for Giacomo, I relalize it is incorrect: This Giacomo would have not been the corredt age...gave birth as about 1880 and your Giacomo born about 4-6 years earlier. He was listed as 44 in the 1920 census. Will continue to see if we can find his arrival in the US.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

If you don't have access to ancestry.com then you can search for passenger arrivals up to 1924 for free at www.stevemorse.org. You need to register a username name and password and have several search options available to you. You can also access www.familysearch.org for free where you can view the SSDI and 1900 Census as well as other records.

Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
JackRaia

Post by JackRaia »

Hello

I read your post with some interest as my name is Jack Raia and my grandfather, Giacomo Raia was born around the same time of 1880. However he died in 1936 when my father was still a boy. They came from Italy in the early 1900's. They settled in Lodi.

My Aunt's name is Mary.

If this is of interest to you, please respond.

Jack
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Eton,

this is the official Bisacquino website : http://www.comune.bisacquino.pa.it/. It is only in italian
the mail address is for info is : info@comune.bisacquino.pa.it

Regards. Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).