Fanning out the family.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Fanning out the family.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Hello all, it's time to spread out my work. Would someone mind looking up some information on the Milillo family? My grandfather's sister Marie Savoca married a man named Ralph Millilo in 1950. His parents were Domenic(k) and Michelle or Maria Milillo. They had 5 kids, and my uncle was born on Jan. 28, 1920. Can anyone help...oh they were from Bari. Thanks Mike. :D
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

RALPH MILILLO 26 Jan 1920 09 Apr 2001 (V) 11370 (East Elmhurst, Queens, NY) (none specified) 128-03-5951 New York

MARIE MILILLO 18 Jul 1928 17 Aug 2002 (V) 11370 (East Elmhurst, Queens, NY) 11370 (East Elmhurst, Queens, NY) 056-22-9741 New York

I think that Ralph and his family came from Brooklyn, and Marie (I will call here Mary from here on in) lived in Jackson Heights/East Elmhurst. When my aunt and uncle married they moved to East Elmhurst. Anything at all would be good, I forgot something... Domenick died in 1940 and his wife died in 1950. Wish I knew more, thanks!!

Mike
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi ya Mike.... :D How's school going? Found this 1930 census for you....

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Ralph Milillo
Home in 1930: Queens, Queens, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1920
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's name: Dominick
Mother's name: Mary
Household Members: Name Age
Dominick Milillo 40 - birth Italy, immigration 1905, naturalized.
Mary Milillo 35 - birth Italy, immigration 1908, naturalized.
Grace Milillo 12 - all children born in New York.
Ralph Milillo 10
Josephine Milillo 5
Anthony Milillo 3
Florence Milillo 8/12

Age of marriage is 25 and 20, Dom is a marble cutter in a stone yard.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Hey Lee!!!! School is ok, they aren't teaching me anything I don't already know. The census is great, my cousin will be so happy. My uncle is the only one that is dead, the rest are all alive as far as I know. My uncle and his family don't speak with the rest of the family...oh well. If you see anything new, let me know this is great. I wonder if my Uncle had a ww2 draft card? Thanks Lee again!

Mike
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Dominick Milillo, possible death record

Surname/Given Name/Age/Month/Day/Year/Certificate#/County

Milillo/Domenick/50y/June/11/1940/4239/Queens

Mike, because so many of your family members lived in the metro New York area, you should bookmark the Italian Genealogical Group site. Lots of great searchable databases--Naturalization, Grooms, Brides, etc. Check it out. And it's a freebie.

http://www.italiangen.org/databaselist.stm

Best,
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

This site looks great Biff! I will be looking around it for a while. That is Domenick, I'm very happy! I knew I could count on my friends here! Thanks a bunch,

Mike
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Mike,

I haven't located a WWII Draft card for your uncle Ralph but he might have enlisted earlier in another branch.

Another free site from the National Archives where you can search for Army Enlistment Records. They're working on adding the Marine, Navy and Coast Guard records sometime in the future. These enlistment records are the same as the ones on Ancestry with the added bonus that they show the Army serial number, a most important piece of information for requesting or verifying information. Check it out. If you search for Milillo, you'll find an Agostino from Queens among a group of thirteen hits. Then click on view record button for additional details. Neat.

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/series-list.jsp?cat=WR26

Biff
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

What a great site!!!!!! We should compile a database to links of free sites so people like me could help ourselves a little more. Thank you Biff, I know he was Section 8ed and couldn't serve. That might be why it isn't there. Oh boy this is fun!!
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Mike,

I think your family is from Queens. Yes? Well, here's another site at the Library of Congress's Prints and Photographs division. You won't find any genealogical info here but open the page and type in Queens and hit the search button. Lots of cool photos--Whitestone, Triboro, Throgs Neck Bridges and oodles of other pix. I've spent more hours on this site than I care to admit. And it's another freebie!

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/pphome.html

Biff
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Another great site, thank you Biff. You are right as a matter of fact, the house I'm living in has been the home for 5 generations. My family at one point took up 3 blocks we were everywhere and are now in dwindeling numbers. But with all the work I have done I find a few more people every so often and the trees grow. This is very fun...Thanks.

Mike
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Mike,

One more nice site before I'm off to bed. Let's take the BQE and go see Da Bums in Bruculinu.

http://www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com/index.html
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Happy to hear Nara will be adding the Marines...very few in my family ever joined anything but the Marines.

We've been discussing updating links.....there are lots of free sites out there which provide great detail.....and free is always the best part.... :lol:

And while school may be totally boring....ya need that diploma for college!!
So enjoy it.....you'll have lots of great memories to look back on......
there....my lecture for the day is done!!! :lol: :lol:

You know you count on any one of us for help....always!!
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Thank you Lee, thank you Biff! Yeah, I need that diploma or esle I can go to far in life. The free sites help a lot, I will be playing around with them after school today. Everyone have a good day, and say Hi to Nuccia if you see her.

Mike
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Mike,

After you finish your homework, here are a few other free sites to check out.

Westchester County (NY) Archives for Marriage and Naturalization information. Click on the Online Resources button on the left.

http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/wcarchives/default.htm

State of West Virginia archives for birth, marriage and death records. The great thing here is the records are linked to the actual documents which you can view.

http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_select.aspx

Although the above two sites do not pertain to your family, if you bookmark them you'll be able to help other members seeking information on their ancestors with a Westchester or West Virginia connection.

The Italy World Club site. Very helpful in determining what city or town (comune) various hamlets and localities (frazioni) are located in.

http://www.italyworldclub.com/regions.htm

And another site with maps of all the provinces which can help determine the geographical location of particular towns and their spatial relationships.

http://www.italycyberguide.com/Geograph ... vinces.htm

Enjoy. A presto.
Biff
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Actually the Westchester info is good for my Irish side of the family. I have another family I would like to look up if at all possible. I will post on that soon, interesting family...

Mike