Timelines and Internet Research Techniques

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Timelines and Internet Research Techniques

Post by wldspirit »

Now that I could handle...10 bucks at Wal-mart and he can trash it afterwards.....no need for the bleach....it's like disposable.... :lol: :lol:

Will look for that pic, didn't put it back where it belonged when I was done,
so now I can't find it.....

Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Don't stop now...of course, you need to write it in Calabrese and it has to take place on the quattro cento (highway 400 which happens to be here in Toronto as is Al Palladini car dealership).

I have a friend who used to work there with Al daughter or niece or something and they had to make annoucements about the dealership every hour. One time after they made the announcement on a busy Saturday afternoon, they forgot to shut off the mike and my friend decided to mock Al..after all, hes a friendamine,,,..needless to say this caused quite the stir in the dealership and they got into a mess of trouble...but they did have fun!

Hey, what did you do with your picture??? It just disappeared? :? :?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ok Biff..you're freaking me out! The pic just came back up.

Lee, take you're time. Send it when you can and we'll see what we can do with it!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

nuccia wrote:Ok Biff..you're freaking me out! The pic just came back up.
Maybe the folks at imageshack have been reading my posts and thought I'd be better off keeping my identity hidden.

I did try to put the dialogue in Calabrese (used "u" ending instead of "o" and "a" instead of "e" in some spots.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Sorry Biff..I meant you need to continue in Calabrese.. :lol: :lol: You speak the dialect don't you? From our area....?????If so, then you can appreciate my favourite "words"..

droco and cu fu??
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I don't speak a word of Calabrese. I only remember hearing the language when I was very young and eavesdropped on conversations between my grandparents and their relatives. My grandfather insisted that English and only English be used with his children and grandchildren. The two words I do remember are Capeesh? and Chooch. When grandpa gave an order you made sure that you capeeshed or else. And you never wanted to be a chooch in his eyes.

What does droco and cu fu mean? I need all the help I can get.

Biff
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

droco (the silliest word I ever heard) means..over there. Got that one from my Cosentina side.

Cu fu means, who was it but I just like the way it sounds. Goes well with fusti tu..was it you? Thats my Dad's dialect...from Locri in Reggio.

Ok, so they make no sense, but they're a hoot! :lol: :lol: See, I only speak Calabrese so this is easy for me...

By the way..sent you an email...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Question:

Why mess with a good thing?.......

This forum is great the way it is!

The "joy" is the record itself. It doesn't matter if you found it or someone else did. We give "where to look" for records & "next step" instructions & we pull together & find some very hard to find information.

Please don't mess with a good thing

Nonna
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

jcsm400 wrote:Question:

Why mess with a good thing?.......

This forum is great the way it is!

The "joy" is the record itself. It doesn't matter if you found it or someone else did. We give "where to look" for records & "next step" instructions & we pull together & find some very hard to find information.

Please don't mess with a good thing

Nonna
Hi Nonna!

Thanks for expressing your opinion! This is exactly what we want to know. Do the members like the forum the way it is, or would they like some changes.

You expressed some good points..hope others will come forward and do the same. Maybe a combo of offering the info/record and then explaining how we found them would work just as well. It sounds like a happy medium to me.

All members opinions count. :D :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I'm not suggesting we stop providing records, but that we ENHANCE what we provide with some direction, as it was in the beginning of this site.
wldspirit

Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

As I promised in my first post on this thread, here's a thumnail summary of the seminar I attended yesterday.

I had thought the seminar was going to be on Timelines and Internet Research Techniques; actually it was two seminars. One on Timelines and one on Internet Research Techiques for genealogy. Both were extremely well done and the presenter, Carol Rooskby Weidlich from the Lee County (FL) Genealogical Society, kept things simple, concise and straightforward and was able to keep any questions or comments on topic.

The afternoon seminar on Internet Resource Techniques was an introduction to the use of general internet search techniques and how these techniques could be used to locate genealogical records. Well done and I wish I would have taken this seminar before I started my own research. It would have saved me a lot of time. The two interesting things I learned were specifically related to the Lee County Library system. Library patrons have free access to the Library Edition of Ancestry but can only access records at one of the libraries. The library system also has a Library subscription to Heritage Quest which patrons can access from anywhere through the library's main portal by clicking on the appropriate link and logging in with their library card number. Likewise, patrons can access PERSI (Periodical Source Index) and WorldCat (for locating books via interlibrary loan), and request these from any location. A couple of nice features I was not aware of.

The morning session on Timelines reinforced my belief that all of us cannot separate our ancestors from history and provided a really helpful site which can help all of us do so. The Our Timlines site is a simple to use site which allows one to enter both a born in and died in year and a few individual specific details which will then display a chronoligical listing of events. Except for the indiviudal specific details, however, these will be skewed to include major worldwide and US events which can then be enhanced with other national and local socio-economic, political and familial events specific to an indiviudal family member culled from census reports, regional histories, local newspapers and directories, and specific events in their lives. What were the "push pull" factors that influenced our ancestors to come to the Americas? Why did they settle where they did? Did they return to Italy to take a spouse or did they marry someone living in the states? How did they meet that person? Through family, friends, were they neighbors, or was the connection work related? Were there any health epidemics that might have affected them? Wars. taxes, etc. While the passage of the Volstead Act might not have hurt many citizens, anyone working in the brewery or distillery business or running a bar would have been seriously effected by Prohibition. Anyway, don't want to ramble on here.

The link for Our Timelines follows. Give it a try and see what you think. Read the Welcome page first.

http://www.ourtimelines.com

Biff
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

What a fun site.......and a neat way to give more to the story of our ancestors!!!
Lee

lcd_a
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lcd_a »

Rosina: Oh Pasqua, miu ginocchiu ha fattu mala. Le lavi i abiti per ma?

Rosina: Oh Pasqua, il mio ginocchio mi ha fatto male. Li lavi gli abiti per me?

Pasqua: Dove?

Pasqua: Dove??

Rosina: In la washing macchina. (Under her breath to herself "Cosi ciucciu"
Rosina: Nella lavatrice. (sotto il suo respiro stesso) "Cosi asino"?

Pasqua: Quantu bleacha e' Tide?
Pasqua: Quanto bleacha? e' marea? ?

Rosina: Nessuna bleacha per i scuri abiti.
Rosina: Nessuna bleacha per gli abiti scuri.?

non so cosa significa bleacha e' Tide
I dont know rhe meaning of bleacha e' Tide.?
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

That IS a great site. I was amazed when I plugged in my birth year.

Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Here's another great source for those incorporating timelines into their genealogical research. The Authenic History Center contains an amazing amount of primary material, i. e., recordings of speeches, music, documents, posters etc. When I was doing research on my father's service in the Army in World War II, it helped me gain a better understanding and appreciation of that time period. If you enjoy American history and American popular culture, this site will keep you up for hours.

Enjoy.

http://www.authentichistory.com/