Surname Silo immigrated to Northern Ireland

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
surlie

Surname Silo immigrated to Northern Ireland

Post by surlie »

I can trace my mother's family back to one of 6 Silo brothers born between 1830 and 1848. The parents were Modesto Silo (born in Italy) and Mary Jane Luigi (born in Northern Ireland).

Modesto would have been born sometime around 1800 - 1810 and would have immigrated before 1830.

This link to Italy is very new so I'm looking for some help where to begin my search for Modesto Silo's birthplace in Italy and links to any other family. I am in Canada so I'll need online resources only.

Thanks in advance.

Surlie
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The best that I can come up for the moment is that there is on PIETO SILO born in 154 in the Milano States (no town is mentioned) and was a law student in London in the 1881 census. There are presently 43 persons surnamed Silo in Italy at this time. If, however, you go to www.,paginebianche.it and insert Silo in the first line and the initials MI in the third line and click CERCA (in red) a listing will come up for three individuals as opposed to business establishments who are surnamed SILO. You have nothing to lose by writing to these three persons and aksing them if they have any knowledge of your MODESTO SILO> Include a self adddressed envelope with a eruo inside for stamps to encourage a reply. Please remeber that all records,history and documents are in the town of origin in Italy. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Perhaps a friend might have the online resources for you for this one time shot at the www.paginebianche.it site if you cannot use your computer. Can you receive E-mail? I can send it to you via E-mail as well. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I picked up MODESTO SILO born 11/15/1864, Galaway, Ireland of Lizzy Liddle and George Louis Silo. This is under ancestor search of the Family History Library of the Mormon church. If you request Batch#C701241 1864, Source 0101098 film. Hope this is helpful. Peter
surlie

Post by surlie »

That Modesto is the son of George who is one of the six brothers (and my direct ancestor). The Modesto that I'm looking for is George's father. They named their children after their ancestors which has made it additionally confusing in tracing back the right branches of the tree!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

iyt is not confusing. In Italy the custom is to name the first child (nale or female) after the paternal parents and then the second child after the mothers parentsd and then back again to the paternal parents until the fourth child exhausted this order. Naming subsequently went to the fathers oldest brother or sister and once again the mothers side kicks in for following children. Peter
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Surname Silo immigrated to Northern Ireland

Post by regina »

From what record do you know that Modesto was born in Italy? I ask because, if you have something that says he was born in the "Kingdom of Italy" between 1800 and 1810, then Modesto was probably born in what is now northeastern Italy.

The peninsula was not unified into the nation of Italy until the 1860s. Prior to that it was a patchwork of kingdoms, duchies, etc.

Regina
Northern Italy Genealogy Discussion List
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/italynw/
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Please send me your e-mail address either here or in private message as I may wish to send you something via e-mail. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The best I can come up with are the birth of children to George,Carlo and Henry with their wives names and childrens names in Galaway and Antrium Ireland post 1868. If you send me your e-mail I will send them to you via e-mail. Peter
kingjohn

Post by kingjohn »

This is the information I have found on the Silo family in N Ireland, there were two brothers Andrew and Modesto who emigrated to Ireland from Italy, first record I have of is Andrew in 1826. Could you send sources of Modesto birth and ship that he used to come to Ireland in 1817? Do you know when Andrew his brother was born?
Yours John Rogers
SILO, Andrew, Carver, Gilder, and Looking Glass Seller, 17 Cornmarket, 1826-1836. 27 Castle-street, Belfast 1837-1842. Ferry-quay, Londonderry 1845-1846. It is probable that the Silo family emigrated from Italy via England to Northern Ireland in the late 1820s. The family is first mentioned in the Manchester Trade Directories from the early 1800s; Sillo and Co, Carver, Gilder, Picture Frame Makers, 15 High-street, Manchester 1799-1802 (Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840, pp 814). Crown court Yesterday. Catherine Mulholland for uttering a base 2s 6d. to Andrew Silo, at Belfast, on the 17th Feb last-Guilty (BN-L 1830, 30th March). Six years later A Silo advertised in the Belfast News-Letter: Andrew Silo, Carver and Gilder, Manufacturer of Looking Glasses, and Picture Frames. Begs leave to imtimate to his friends and the Public, that he has removed from his place of business from Corn-market to No 27 Castle-street, (Mr Napper New Building), where he will continue to supply with chimney, mirror, pier and toilet glasses. A.S. returns his sincere thanks for the liberal support which he has experienced during his last nine years, and hopes, by attention to business, and keeping only the best materials, to merit a continuance of public patronage. Belfast 31st December 1835 (BN-L 1836, 5th Jan). Silo voted in one Belfast City election in the 1830s on 5th August 1837 for two seats: Earl of Belfast and James Gibson (PRONI D/2472/1).
SILO, Modesto Snr, Carver, Gilder and Looking Glass Seller, 21 Cornmarket, 1831-1846. 11 Arthur-square and 25 Gloucester-street 1850-1852. 6 Donegall-place 1855-1856. 43 Upper Arthur-street, Belfast 1860-1862 (in partnership with Modesto Silo Jnr). He registered to vote for Belfast City elections in Jan 1837 (PRONI D/2472/1). Modesto and Andrew Silo were empanelled to Jury Duty in a Case concerning a Guiseppe Corsini, who was indicted for stealing 12 handkerchiefs (BN-L, 1837, 31st October). From Feb to May 1840 he worked on the gilding the tabernacle at the Catholic church of Ballymacarrett (BN-L, 1840 15th May). Six years later he advertised in the Belfast New-Letter: Arrival of Good From Paris. Modesto Silo. Begs leave respectfully to announce to the nobility, gentry, and inhabitances of Belfast and vicinity that he has received a large stock of Louis the XIV frames, so celebrated for their beauty of design and pattern, from the House of Bourquin and Co, Boulevard, Bonne Nouvelle, Paris. He begs an early inspection when he has no doubt they will meet the approbation of the public. M.S. have engaged, at great expense person from one of the first establishments in London, in the picture cleaning, lining, and restoring department, gentlemen wishing their galleries restored, will be waited upon in town and country. Carving and gilding, in all its branches; Looking glasses, room boarding, barometers, thermometers, etc. Masks as usual. 21 Cormarket (BN-L 1846, 29th May).
SILO, Modesto Jnr, Carver, Gilder, Cabinet Maker and Upholsterer, 43 Upper Arthur-street, 1860-1862 (in partnership with Modesto Silo Snr as a Carver and Gilder). 51 Arthur-street, 1870-1871. 29 York-street, Belfast 1880-1883. Belfast and North of Ireland Workmen’s Exhition. Distibution of Prizes. Section V Household Furniture and Upholstery. 1st Class Medal-Mr Modesto Silo Jnr, Octagonal inlaid Loo table, in fancy wood, containing in top 1,600 pieces (BN-L 1870, 30th May). In the County of Antrim County Court Equity Sale. Robert Carwell and William Wilson, of Belfast in the County of Antrim, Merchants, trading under the style and frim of “Wilson, Caswell and Company,â€
Surlie2

Post by Surlie2 »

Hi Kingjohn! Thanks ever so much for all the interesting information!!! That original post of mine was quite old - since then, we have found out that Modesto and Andrew were born in Lemna as Modesto Santino Silo (born Nov 1 1803) and Andrea Domenico Silo (born Feb 20, 1792). Still have no idea of the date of immigration or ship.

I will be travelling overseas to Belfast this summer and am anxious to visit all the addresses listed to see if the buildings still exist. If not, at least I will be near the spot where they worked and lived. I am at a loss as to where Modesto Sr and Jr could be buried - any chance that you may know how to find out?

I hadn't seen anything previously with a Londonderry connection for Andrew - that may explain some blanks in my data.

Thanks again for the details from the Belfast News Letter. That was a great find!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a Modesto silo born November 15,1864 in galwaty,Galway Ireland of George Luis Silo and Lizzy Liddle. Have you gone thru the Silo family at www.familysearch.org under ancestor search who seem to have a wide distribtuion of the Silo name thruout the world. =Peter=
~Peter~
kingjohn

Post by kingjohn »

Hi,
Hi I found a 3 death notices in Belfast News Letter (which I didn't list) of Modesto Silo and wife infant children dying. In addition to this he also acted as an interpreter (Italian) on a number of occations in court cases. Will trying and get some of this information next week. Do you know who his Modesto Mother and Father were?
Yours John

Two more bits of information:

1) Marriage in St Patricks’s (Roman Catholic), Belfast, Co Antrim, of Andrew Silo to Anna Harriot on 23/04/1832; two witness Modesto Silo and Robert Greehen (Ulster Historical Foundation, St Paticks’s Church Belfast).

2)Modesto Jnr was born at St Patrick’s (Roman Catholic) Church, Belfast, Co Antrim to Modesto Silo and Mary Jane Modesto (nee Luigi) on the on 04/01/1835 (Ulster Historical Foundation, St Paticks’s Church Belfast)
Ringsendrose

Post by Ringsendrose »

Hi Surlie,
I wonder do you have a family tree for your ancestors. My Grandmother was Isabel Silo, born in Belfast in 1906. She was the daughter of Andrew Silo. Andrew Silo's father was Henry Silo. I am pretty sure that Henry is a decendent of either the Andrew or Modesto Silo that you refer to. I would be grateful if you could let me know if you have the family tree or any information on my Grandfather Andrew Silo who was born in 1877 or 1878 and who got married in 1904. According to my grandmother he left Belfast for Dublin when she was 6 weeks old so that would have been in 1906.
Thanks
Ringsendrose
Surlie2

Post by Surlie2 »

Hello Ringsendrose! It's great to meet another relative! You must from the McCann side - who are your parents???? Andrew was indeed the son of Henry who was the son of Modesto and Mary Jane. My line of the family is from George - Henry's brother. I understand that Andrew died at age 38 from lead poisoning in paint - he was a house painter. I have family tree information that I can send if you pass along your email address.