manifest for VIOLA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

manifest for VIOLA

Post by PaulaMT »

Guiseppe (joseph) viola (DOB 1885) & Wife Maria Vizzacchera ( spelling?)(DOB 1885) with son Thomas (DOB 1906) all born in italy..

can not find immigration information... Guiseppe came here between 1906

I believe they originated in Milan?

1910 cencus...
Home in 1910: MT Vernon Ward 4, Westchester, New York
Year of Immigration: 1908
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Viola 25
wife Marlatta Viola 25
son Thomas Viola 5
son Angilo Viola 2
son Carmina Viola 9/12

But I believe the immigration year to be wrong.. since Thomas was born in Italy...

Can anyone help?
Paula M. T.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: manifest for VIOLA

Post by Biff83 »

Paula,

You can search for possible naturalization records for Westchester here via the Online Resources button on the left.

http://www.westchestergov.com/wcarchives/
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

Thank you... but I did .. no luck.... I check Ellis Island and Ansectory.. I keep at my 94year old grandmother but no luck.....

I thought maybe you gus could help.... my distant cousin is going to Italy soon and would like to know the town or origin if possible... I would also like the info for the family tree...

P.S. Joseph Viola Died between May 1910 and Jan. 1920 ... I think it was 1914.
Paula M. T.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Paula,

Some other records that may contain the town information>birth records of children born in the US, baptismal records, & Joseph's death record.

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

Thank you...I tryed looking for joseph's death record.. but could not find it..

.. but I never thought that the children's records would have that info...

I'll give it a try...

Thanks again..
Paula M. T.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

possible manifest
30 Apr 1907 SS Nord America Napoli to NY
lines 7-8
Maria Vizzaccaro, 24 (abt 1883)
- married
- possible naturalization notation
2-821073-9/4/41-505 no c/a)

- destination Mt Vernon
- joining husband Giuseppe Viola at
101 Ave? Mt Vernon
- born in Roccasecca? (Frosinone)
son Tommaso, 2? (abt 1905?)
- possible naturalization notation
2-866093-12-5-40-505 (c.l.? 5 10-4-41)
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

Bless YOu!!!... thats her...

any luck with him???
Paula M. T.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

possible manifest
Giuseppe Viola
3 July 1905
line 27
headed to Boston
last residence Roccasecca?
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

That very well could be him... they were married in that town.... according to family stories...

Thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!!........

I searched Ellis Island.. I don't know what I did wrong with not being able to find him.....

I can see why I couldn't find her .... the spelling is so different on her name...

Again Thank you so much!!!.....
Paula M. T.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Paula, you're very welcome!
I'm glad we could all help :D .
The clue that worked was her possible last name.
Do you have the link for reading the naturalization notations?
If not, this may help: manifest markings
and Lou Alfano's manifest markings
Valarie
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Valarie, great work!

Paula,
Don't know if you've seen these sites.

Official website of the comune di Roccasecca. One of the better town sites I've seen. Lots of pictures, historical information etc. including pix and details on the chiese (churches), phone numbers, email addresses for town officials.
http://www.comune.roccasecca.fr.it/start/index.html

Map of the province of Frosinone
http://www.italycyberguide.com/Geograph ... inonep.htm
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

Great... maybe one of the churches will have a marriage certif.. and from there who knows.....

Thank you.,,,,

And THANK YOU ALL!!!
Paula M. T.
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

PaulaMT wrote:Great... maybe one of the churches will have a marriage certif.. and from there who knows.....
Paula,

My paternal grandparents were also from Roccasecca. My wife and I visited the village for a few hours just six weeks ago and I can offer some advice.

The village as it exists today is divided into the "new" village, called Roccasecca Stazione on some maps, and the old village, also referred to as Roccasecca dell'alto (sorry if the spelling isn't quite correct). The new part of the village appears to date back perhaps to the 1950's or 60's and takes up the flatlands surrounding the hillside where the old village (dating back to the 1300's I believe) exists.

Your ancestors, just like mine, would have come from the old hillside village. There are many churches in Roccasecca, but the old church - most likely the one our ancestors worshiped and were married in, is the Chiesa di San Tommaso - the Church of Saint Thomas Aquinas (who was born in Roccasecca, by the way).

You can visit the Infobel website (http://www.infobel.com/italy/wp/search/) and search the Roccasecca phone listings to see if there are people there with your family names. Both my surname and my grandmother's are uncommon names, even in Italy, and yet this village of only 7400 residents has seven listings with my surname and 15 with my grandmother's maiden name. Surely some of these people are relatives; I have written to two of each so far with hopes of establishing some contact - you might try the same technique.

The municipal office for the old village is located at:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Roccasecca
Via Roma 5
03038, Roccasecca FR
Italia

You can write them for birth/death/marriage certificates using one of the form letters available on the web. When we were there, there was only one person in the entire municipal office who spoke English, and even that was so-so. You *really*need to do this in Italian.

By the way, the village is beautiful! You can get some idea using Google Maps to view satelite images; the link below points to the piazza in the old village; the municipal office is one of the buildings just below and right of the pointer.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... iwloc=addr
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

Thank you sooo much...
That is a really big help.... in planing a trip....

I Just can't thank all of you enough!!!!......

Many Many Thanks!!!
Paula M. T.
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

Paula,

I don't know your travel plans but here are a few pointers:

You can take the train from Roma Termini directly to Roccasecca Stazione. The ride is 1-1/2 hours to 2+ hours depending on exactly which train and time of day. Round trip cost for two of us was around 32 euros as I recall. The train ride - as all the train rides we took while in Italy - was very pleasant with an abundance of scenery to keep one from drifting off to sleep. :)

From the train station to the piazza in the old village is a good 2-1/2 mile walk, the last part of which is going to be severely uphill. There are *no* buses or taxis in town. We inquired at the train station and decided to start walking, then figure out what to do. About 1/2 mile or so up the road we stopped in the local tabaccaio to ask again about a taxi and the next thing you know, the proprietor insisted on giving us a ride up to the piazza! He had visited the US several times and we were able to communicate in English with little difficulty. A really, really, nice guy!

Go back to the earlier Google satelite map and put "roccasecca stazione italy" in the search box. Follow the straight bit of road which travels from the pointer down and to the left; you'll see that the road dead-ends at the train tracks - actually the train station parking lot; move the map around and you can get an idea of the distance from the station to the piazza which was visible in the first satelite image.

There is a tourist/information office in the piazza just above the pointer in the google image. The day we were there, it was staffed by a young woman who had no English skills at all; trying to communicate with her was very difficult. I was able to explain in very bad Italian that my grandparents (nonni) were from Rccasecca and we were seeking information (informazione). That was when she took us outside and pointed across the piazza to the municipal office.

There is a small booth immediately inside the main entrance; the person (male) sitting there was also hopelessly non-English speaking. He brought us into the clerk's office where a dark-haired, middle-aged, woman was having an animated discussion with a local who had come in for some sort of document. When she had finished with him, she looked at us and it was immediatley clear that she could not communicate in English either. I tried to explain again that I was seeking "informazione mio nonni nato 1886". We weren't getting very far when she went off and came back with a pretty blonde-haired young lady whose English skills were the best we had encountered in Roccasecca thus far. Altogether, they were very helpful.

There is a bar/cafe next door to the tourist office where we bought fresh panini and drinks then sat at an outdoor table to eat our lunch. The woman inside spoke Italian and French but not English (are you seeing a pattern here?). Nevertheless, we were able to order what we wanted using words like "prosciutto", "panini", "mozzarella", and so on. :)

The time came, as I knew it would, when we had to figure out how we were going to get back to the train station. We resigned ourselves to a long walk - at least it would be downhill - and started on our way. Partway down the hill, we encountered a couple who had stopped their car to buy cigarettes from a vending machine outside a small store - we asked them if the road we were on led back to the train station and before we knew it they insisted on giving us "passaggio" - a ride - back to the station! Wow!

All-in-all, we had a wonderful, though much too short, visit in Roccasecca. I am looking forward to going back again next year to learn more about my family's roots and this wonderful country.