Mattera Family Name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mattera
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Mattera Family Name

Post by mattera »

Biff,

That makes sense given the dates and locations. Also, Frank's second oldest daughter (after Maria) was Catherine. He named his first daughter Mary (after his mother, presumably) and second Catherine (after his sister, and also probably a grandmother or aunt). What a great find!

By the way, what Italian name might have been Anglicized to get Jim?

Alex
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Alex,

Many Italians who took the name James were Vincenzos.
Edited to add comment I'm not sure if and where you could write for Frank Longo's WWI service record but will check. His service record might include some clues. Anyone else have input on where to locate WWI records?

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Alex,

Check your messages above. I sent you a PM relative to your grandfather Vincent.

Biff
mattera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mattera »

Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hello Alex,

Thanks for keeping in touch. With the amount of information that you have, it's great that you've organized it. If you haven't already, you might want to enter the data on the Family History Center's free family tree software.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Home/We ... mation.asp

Locating census records can be troublesome due to errors in spelling and/or transcription. Unfortunately, you cannot search by a street address on Ancestry but you can narrow things down if you locate the Enumeration District Number. With the ED number, you can do a page by page search. Steve Morse's site will help locate the EDs from 1910 to 1930 for certain cities if you have a street address and the cross streets. Cross streets can be found using mapquest. Here's the link to the main page. Scroll down to the census section.
http://www.stevemorse.org

Deciding what additional documents you'd like to have for individual family members will determine what records you'd need to write away for either in the US or in Italy.

I believe we've located some birthplaces for the Italian side of the family.
Pietro Paulo Mattera and Maria Arucci--Serrara Fontana, Napoli
Vittorino Procaccini--Panni, Foggia
Teresa Ziroli--Montenaro Valcocchiara, Isernia
Gaetano Cretella and Fiorenza De Cesare--Marrano? I'm not sure if we were able to locate the correct name of the city and the province.

LDS has records for Panni and Montenero. I was unable to find any for Serrara Fontana but you might want to try also.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Best,
Biff
matterogirl

Post by matterogirl »

My grandfather came to Italy first then my grandmother Liberina came,who was 17 at the time and had an arranged marriage. His name was Pietro Paulo Mattera, according to my dad it was turned into Mattero at Ellis Island. Pietro Paulo came from Salerno, Italy. He had a son out of wedlock, Frankie. He returned back to Italy around 1933 and I am not sure what happened to him. Where do I begin in my search, what is the best thing to do first? Thanks if anyone has a suggestion.
Thanks
Cindy
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Matterogirl,

Welcome to the Forum! It would be best if you started your own thread to avoid confusing the two families. Working from the present to the past let us know about your grandfather, grandmother and their children.

What town in Salerno was your grandfather from (Salerno is both a town and a province)?

What year did he emigrate and to what city/state?

What is Liberina's maiden name and the year she emigrated?

When were they born?

What are the names of their children and birth years?

What city/state(s) did they live in?

As I said, to avoid confusing the two Mattera families, it would be helpful if you began your own thread.

Again, welcome aboard,
Biff
DarqEve

Post by DarqEve »

Hi there,

wondering if I am distantly related to anyone on this forum.
This is the information that I have available.

Benedetto Mattera and Angela (my great-great-grandparents) had 5 children:
Vincenzo Paolo Mattera (Born in Barano d'Ischia on 8 January 1855)
Vincenzo Domenico Mattera (Born in Barano d'Ischia on 7 October 1856)
Libera Mattera (Born in Barano d'Ischia on 6 August 1862)
Salvatore Mattera (Born in Barano d'Ischia on 10 December 1864) and
Michele Rocco Mattera (Born in Barano d'Ischia on 5 July 1867 - he died in Algeria)

I come from the Michele Rocco Mattera line and have some information on the Libera Mattera line with which I could assist, however I have no other knowledge regarding the other 3 siblings.

Do any of these names look familiar to anyone?

Thanking you in anticipation for any assistance.

Sabrina
hsweedon

Post by hsweedon »

Looking to see if "Matterogirl started a thread? It my be my family also?
Biff83 wrote:Matterogirl,

Welcome to the Forum! It would be best if you started your own thread to avoid confusing the two families. Working from the present to the past let us know about your grandfather, grandmother and their children.

What town in Salerno was your grandfather from (Salerno is both a town and a province)?

What year did he emigrate and to what city/state?

What is Liberina's maiden name and the year she emigrated?

When were they born?

What are the names of their children and birth years?

What city/state(s) did they live in?

As I said, to avoid confusing the two Mattera families, it would be helpful if you began your own thread.

Again, welcome aboard,
Biff
Serrara-Fontana

Post by Serrara-Fontana »

Hello!
this is for Alex, hopefully you are still visiting this forum.

I was born and lived in Serrara Fontana long enough to Remember several people from there.

There is a Pietro Paolo (aka Pierpaolo) Iacono who still lives in Serrara and should be around 60yo.

As you know, traditionally children are named after their grandparents, and is common that cousins have same names thus passed down to their grandchildren. This Pietro Paolo could very well be your grandfather's nephew and a relative of yours.

What I find strange is that Pierpaolo's mother name is Giuseppa, must be a coincidence. I do not know Giuseppa last name before marriage.

Reading through your forum entries I thought you might be interested in hearing about this.
I may be able to provide you with more information about the family and Serrara.

Let me know.

E.