Looking for Spaziani and Franchi Family in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nonnag

Looking for Spaziani and Franchi Family in Italy

Post by nonnag »

I am looking for my husband's family in Italy on his mother's side. Her father's name was Gaetano F. Spaziani, born July 2, 1883 in Morolo, Italy. He came to the United States in 1903.

His father's name was Silverio Spaziani and he came to this country in December 1905. I think he was born around 1854. I don't know anything more about Silverio Spaziani.

His mother's name was Josephine Franchi(could be Francki) Spaziani and she came to this country in May 1906. She was born in Morolo, Italy on December 23, 1865. Her parents are Francesco and Ursula Pompei Franchi(could be Francki).

I would like to find out anything on these two families-Spaziani and Franchi or Francki.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sharon

PS: The information would have to be in English since I don't know Italian.

Thanks Again!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for Spaziani and Franchi Family in Italy

Post by VaDeb »

LDS microfilm records are limited for Italy, Frosinone, Morolo. They have civil registration (birth, marriage and death) 1871-1899. YOu can order the microfilm from your local Family HIstory Center of the LDS church for about $4 a roll.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

YOur other option is to write the town for information. The microfilm is in Italian. All letters to the town should also be in Italian.

Here is a site that will generate a letter for you in Italian:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

If you plan on doing Italian genealogical research you are going to have to work with documents written in Italian. Are you interested in some books that help with the subject?

Debbie
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

nonnag wrote:I am looking for my husband's family in Italy on his mother's side. Her father's name was Gaetano F. Spaziani, born July 2, 1883 in Morolo, Italy. He came to the United States in 1903.

His father's name was Silverio Spaziani and he came to this country in December 1905. I think he was born around 1854. I don't know anything more about Silverio Spaziani.

His mother's name was Josephine Franchi(could be Francki) Spaziani and she came to this country in May 1906. She was born in Morolo, Italy on December 23, 1865. Her parents are Francesco and Ursula Pompei Franchi(could be Francki).

I would like to find out anything on these two families-Spaziani and Franchi or Francki.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sharon
Hi Sharon,

Here is the manifest for Gaetano

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 2740020084

Here is the manifest of Silverio coming in with two children.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 2485180010

Here is Giuseppa (Josephine) Franchi coming in with more children going to see her husband.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 2236120201

I'm looking in the census now for them. I hope this information helps.

Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
spike421

Post by spike421 »

I happened on your post and I'm not sure if you're still looking, but I am distantly related to the Franchi's and Spaziani's. I am familiar with all the people you mention. In fact, I'm sure Guiseppa is the woman from my mothers past who they referred to as Zia Pepina. Actually she was an older cousin of my Grandmother, Pia Palloni Affinati. The Franchi are related to the Spaziani, Canali (my Great Grandmother) (the name was changed to CANALE in the US), the Morgias. and the Palloni families, to name a few. My brother is really the one who has done a lot of looking and I can put you in contact with him if you want.vThe Franchi changed their name to Franck or Frank in the US.

Many families from Morolo ended up in Watertown, NY and in the same neighborhood. Some are also in Oswego and Fulton. Some travel back to Morolo. Hope this helps.
nonnag

Post by nonnag »

I would be very interested in whatever your brother or you have found out. I don't speak Italian; so it is difficult to communicate with anyone from there. You can send any information you have found to grandmasfl@yahoo.com.
spike421

Post by spike421 »

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back with you. Please e-mail me directly at hspicer@prodigy.net. I will forward to my brother, John.
He has done a lot of looking and he will be able to help you.
mostlywater

Post by mostlywater »

spike421 wrote:I happened on your post and I'm not sure if you're still looking, but I am distantly related to the Franchi's and Spaziani's. I am familiar with all the people you mention. In fact, I'm sure Guiseppa is the woman from my mothers past who they referred to as Zia Pepina. Actually she was an older cousin of my Grandmother, Pia Palloni Affinati. The Franchi are related to the Spaziani, Canali (my Great Grandmother) (the name was changed to CANALE in the US), the Morgias. and the Palloni families, to name a few. My brother is really the one who has done a lot of looking and I can put you in contact with him if you want.vThe Franchi changed their name to Franck or Frank in the US.

Many families from Morolo ended up in Watertown, NY and in the same neighborhood. Some are also in Oswego and Fulton. Some travel back to Morolo. Hope this helps.
mostlywater

Post by mostlywater »

Spike421: I messed up that last post by trying to attach a file, which wsn't really all that important.
Here's what the post was supposed to say:
I am also related to some Spazianis in Morolo. Agusto Spaziani (b.circa 1924), currently living there, is my father's first cousin. Agusto's mother, Giuseppina (Natali) Spaziani was the wife Mariano Spaziani. Giuseppina's brother, Luigi Natali (born 1885), was my father's father.
Now, here's a long shot for Spike421: Spike, you mentioned the name CANALI. This interests me because my Nonno, the Luigi mentioned above, married a woman named Maria (b:1883) in 1907. Maria's last name was Ambrosini, but she was adopted by an Ibario and Angela Tozzi. Angela's maiden name was CANALI. We know NOTHING about my grandmother Maria's past, except this one clue. We have an old piece of paper, written, I believe, by my Nonno which says:"Maria Ambrosini: Born at Prato Province of Firenze, daughter of unknown. Ibario Tozzi and Angela Canali in Tozzi were the adopted parents."
I cannot find her on any Ellis Island records, but know she came on the boat with her husband (Luigi) Mar 25, 1908. Luigi originally came to the US in 1903, along with many other Moroloans to Utica NY to work for the NYC Railroad, which he did for 50 years.
Ring any bells, spike421? or your brother, John?
mike54

Post by mike54 »

I just came across this site and was very interested in mostlywater's comments. All 4 of my grandparents are from Morolo. My last name is Natali, my grandmother on my father's side was a Tozzi. My mother's maiden name was Morgia. I know I am related to the Canali's,Spaziani's and Alteri's. Your info seems to cover all my ancestors on both sides. I would love to learn more if you have it. The name Angelina Tozzi really interested me because that was my grandmother's name. I wonder if she was my great grandmother?