National Archives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mattera
Rookie
Rookie

National Archives

Post by mattera »

I have an opportunity to visit the National Archives Northeast Regional branch in Waltham, Massachusetts tomorrow. I would be very grateful for advice on how to get the most benefit out of this trip. Any tips or suggestions? What to do, what to search, what to bring (and what not to do, search, bring), etc.

Thank you all for your help.

Alex
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: National Archives

Post by wldspirit »

Everyone has a different approach, so this is just my approach....... :lol:

I have my ancestors on 4x6 index cards, I note as much info as I have on that person, parents, siblings, spouse and children, along with dates, even if approximate........in pencil, I note specific research goals to be resolved.
I take the file cards I am researching, notebook, and pen/pencil with me, limiting my research to no more than 10 cards per visit.....that way I stay focused on my research goals. The type of records to be researched depends on what issue I am trying to resolve. Birth, marriage, death or naturalization...did they serve in any armed services, did they have a will or probate record? I generally try to stick with vital records first.
Depending on the location, I take plenty of change for the copy machine.
Hope this helps somewhat.....
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
mattera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mattera »

wldspirit,

This helps a lot--thanks!

Alex
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

mattera wrote:I have an opportunity to visit the National Archives Northeast Regional branch in Waltham, Massachusetts tomorrow. I would be very grateful for advice on how to get the most benefit out of this trip. Any tips or suggestions? What to do, what to search, what to bring (and what not to do, search, bring), etc.

Thank you all for your help.

Alex
Funny you should mention the Waltham branch, I live in Massachusetts and I used to go there a lot, especially during high school and my first couple years of college. It was like my second home. I think senior year of HS I even got internal suspension because I would skip school to go (and had missed too many days). You would think a 17 year old would have more interesting reasons to skip school.

What sort of records are you going to look at? Citizenship etc? (because everything else they have is online more or less)
mattera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mattera »

Thanks for the post, James.

Boy, going to the National Archives is one of the experiences that makes you glad you pay your taxes. What a terrific place! I spent about 2 hours there, and turned up the original papers for one of my great grandfather's naturalization. I look forward to going back and working on other records.

Alex