Hi everyone --
I'm a genealogy newbie, and I've been looking at my father's family tree for less than one month. If there's anyone else on this forum who has Albino relations in Waterbury CT or in Boston MA, I'd love to hear from you.
I've been following the census records in Ancestry.com, the SSDI, the records at Ellis Island, the records at New England Historical Genealogical Society and the city directories in Waterbury and Boston. The Albinos came from Campobasso. Here's the family tree as I know it so far:
Vincenzo Albino Angelamaria
b. ~1858 b. ~1864
Children:
Nicola b. Jun 8 1887 or Mar 23 1887
d. Nov 1965
Maria Guippa b. ~1889
Gacinto (George) b. 1892
Carlotta b. ~1895
James?
Michele?
Another sister?
There is a 1900 and a 1910 census record for Vincenzo in NYC. I don't know if they are "my" Vincenzo or not. He's a few years younger than I think "my" Vincenzo should be from Ellis Island records. In the 1900 census he has a son named Joseph b. about 1888, which could coincide with the rest of the family as I know it. His wife is listed as "Mary" which could be Angelamaria. In 1910 he has a wife of less than 3 years, so "Mary" must have died. There is a 14-year-old son in that census with Vincenzo and his wife Rose, so I'm thinking Angelo is Rose's son from a previous relationship.
The sons "James" and "Michele" are in question marks because these Albinos lived in the same house where Vincenzo lived in Boston in the mid-1910s, so I think they must be related somehow. Since Vincenzo lived with his son Nicola occasionally according to the city directories, I thought maybe James and Michele were also sons that I haven't been able to link in yet.
I've been able to follow Nicola, because he's my great grandfather. And I've done a little bit with his brother George, even though no one in my direct family has been in touch with George's family since the 1940s. I need serious help with the other children of Vincenzo's, though. I'll make a separate post about the "other sister" that I hope exists.
Nicola Albino Christina Lerz
b. 1887 b. ~1891
d. Nov 1965 d. before 1946
son: Gacinto Pasquale Mary (Incoronata)
(George) Moffo
b Jul 15 1910 b. Oct 23 1910
d. Nov 1964 d. Mar 2 1997
Children of George and Mary:
George
b. Aug 19 1934
Allan
b. Feb 12 1939
Geraldine
b. Nov 15 1940
Carolyn
b. Aug 9 1944
Cynthia
b. Mar 27 1951
son: James Rose Marie
b. ~1911 b. May 19 1912
d. before 1944 d. Sep 1977
Children of James and Rose Marie:
Christina
b. ~1929
son: Joseph Germaine A
b. Oct 9 1913
d. Nov 1964
son: Jerome Helen
b. Jul 19 1915
d. Jun 12 1992
daughter: Rose
b. ~1925
I know I can get more about my grandfather's siblings and their downlines the next time I go to Waterbury to talk to my father (George's son Allan). The harder part is tracing back!
This is what I have on my great grandfather's brother:
Gacinto (George) Albino 1915 Edith
b. Oct 10 1892 b. ~1900
Children:
William
b. ~1915
James
b. Jan 24 1917
d. Oct 1982
Mary
b. ~1920
George
b. Mar 26 1921
d. Aug 18 2003
I have nothing more on George's downline, and would love any help people can give me in tracing them.
There's a second Nick Albino who was living in Waterbury about the same time as my great grandfather Nick. I'd love to know if anyone can figure out if they are related to each other. The "right Nick" was married to Christina, and after her death, to Antoinette. He was a shoe repairman. The "wrong Nick" is 2 years older, born in Pontelandolfo, and married an Antonella. He worked as a machine operator, or maybe as a toolmaker. The "wrong Nick"'s children are Pasty (boy - maybe Pasquale?), Nick, William, Carmella, Armand, Anna, and Rocco according to the 1930 census.
Many thanks!
Donna Albino
Surname: Albino in Waterbury CT and Boston MA
Re: Surname: Albino in Waterbury CT and Boston MA
Donna, this may or may not be helpful but Waterbury, Ct has a Pontelandalfo club. If you contact them, they may have some info. on the "wrong" Nick to help you see if there is a connection to the "right" Nick.
http://www.pontelandolfoclub.com/
Also, have you checked the archives of the Waterbury Republican American for the obits. of George (especially since it is 2003, could be online) and James (not available online since it is older)?
You may want to look at the Connecticut State Library web page and see what is available from the state archives. www.cslib.org
http://www.pontelandolfoclub.com/
Also, have you checked the archives of the Waterbury Republican American for the obits. of George (especially since it is 2003, could be online) and James (not available online since it is older)?
You may want to look at the Connecticut State Library web page and see what is available from the state archives. www.cslib.org
Re: Surname: Albino in Waterbury CT and Boston MA
Thanks so much for telling me about the Pontelandolfo Club! I put a note on the genealogy forum, and I hope someone will contact me.
I should have noted that I'm not sure about James' and George's death dates. Their birth dates in the SSDI make it likely that they are the descendents of my great grandfather's brother, but my family has not stayed in touch with that branch of the family since the 1940s and I'm just not sure. If they are the right people, they didn't die in Waterbury. One was in New Bedford MA, and one was in New York state.
Donna
I should have noted that I'm not sure about James' and George's death dates. Their birth dates in the SSDI make it likely that they are the descendents of my great grandfather's brother, but my family has not stayed in touch with that branch of the family since the 1940s and I'm just not sure. If they are the right people, they didn't die in Waterbury. One was in New Bedford MA, and one was in New York state.
Donna
Re: Surname: Albino in Waterbury CT and Boston MA
I was just thinking . . .there is another local club for Campobasso in the Waterbury area for the town of Cercemaggiore. I don't think they have a website though. I did a google search and did not find one. It is called the Cercemaggiore club in Oakville/Watertown, Connecticut, which is the town next to Waterbury. You know, I just looked in the Waterbury phone book and there are a bunch of Albino's listed: David, George, Holly & Joe, Nicholas, Pasquale, etc...
Re: Surname: Albino in Waterbury CT and Boston MA
Yes, some of those people in the Waterbury directory are my relatives! My parents and their siblings still live in the area, and many of my cousins chose to stay in the Waterbury area. I'm one of those ones that didn't stay in the Waterbury area; I live near Boston now.
But I don't recognize all the Albinos in the phone book, and you're right, some of them may be offspring of the Pontelendolfo Nick. I should do some cold-calling the next time I'm in Waterbury. Thanks for suggesting it!
Donna
But I don't recognize all the Albinos in the phone book, and you're right, some of them may be offspring of the Pontelendolfo Nick. I should do some cold-calling the next time I'm in Waterbury. Thanks for suggesting it!
Donna
Re: Surname: Albino in Waterbury CT and Boston MA
Donna,
you probably have found the answer to your questions by now, but I thought I would add this information:
The declaration of Intention of Giacinto Albino, aka George Albino, dated 23 Jun 1925, states that he was born in Campodipietra, Campobasso, Italy, on the 10th day of October, year 1892.
He was living in Boston. He came to the US aboard the "Louisiania" (sic) from Naples.
His wife Edith was born in Russia.
The reference is NARA M1368. Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the US District and Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929. NARA catalog ID 595176.
Ferret
you probably have found the answer to your questions by now, but I thought I would add this information:
The declaration of Intention of Giacinto Albino, aka George Albino, dated 23 Jun 1925, states that he was born in Campodipietra, Campobasso, Italy, on the 10th day of October, year 1892.
He was living in Boston. He came to the US aboard the "Louisiania" (sic) from Naples.
His wife Edith was born in Russia.
The reference is NARA M1368. Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the US District and Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929. NARA catalog ID 595176.
Ferret
Re: Surname: Albino in Waterbury CT and Boston MA
Hello Donna,
I am actually a descendant of Cristina Lerz's brother Allesandro Lerz. I have some information regarding that side of the family if you are interesting.
I am actually a descendant of Cristina Lerz's brother Allesandro Lerz. I have some information regarding that side of the family if you are interesting.


