Census 1930 to 1910

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Census 1930 to 1910

Post by denman922 »

I am trying to figure out who lived at a specific address in Brooklyn in 1910.

In 1930, my GGM is living at 250 Navy street in Brookyln. Anna Libardi, husband isValerio Libardi but improperly transcribed as "Tibardi".

Anyway, they moved there in 1926/1927, prior to that they lived near Piitsburgh, PA, prior to that they lived in Orange County, NY.

HOWEVER. In 1909, when Anna's sister came to America, Maria Metz, said she was going to Giacomo( Jacob ) Metz, 248 Navy street ( her father).

But in the 1910 census, Jacob (Giacomo) is living with son, Anton, and daughter, Maria in Orange County, NY

Coincidence that his other daughter, Anna, would live there 20 years later, in 1930? I dunno.

So, who was living at 248 and 250 Navy street in Brooklyn in 1910?
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Census 1930 to 1910

Post by eyetalgal »

hi Denman

248-250 Navy Street was in my neighborhood. There are several addresses in that area that were really just agents. Although these addresses could actually be tenements there would be a person acting as an agent for the immigrants to enter the country where they were met there by friends or relatives. The Navy Street address could be one of those, along with 38-40 Union St, 238 Columbia St, 11-13 Columbia St, etc. So your relative may have lived at the address but it could have been just a temporary home.

Just a thought
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

The NYC Public Library has the 1910 Brooklyn City directy on microfilm. Perhaps you can view this through an interlibrary loan or through your local LDS library. It does not have everyone listed, but in general, males are listed. I read somewhere that more "established" people are listed in the directory. I found my relatives in the 1910 directory and it includes address and the type of business the person is involved in. These relatives were involved in a local business, which could account for their listing. Other female relatives I was looking for were not listed.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Check this site out too. http://www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com/ There are some random old Brooklyn city directories available online. You can also look into obtaining one of the old city censuses. I have not done this myself, but I understand that they are organized only by address. Also check out www.stevemorse.org for tools on using the NYC census.