Family in Argentina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Roadlawyer

Family in Argentina

Post by Roadlawyer »

I'm looking for family in Argentina with the name Leonardi Cattolica.

My grandfather was Pasquale Leonardi Cattolica, b.Naples, 1854.
His brother, Ernesto b. San Giorgio a Cremano (Naples), 9 April 1860 immigrated to Argentina sometime before 1901.

Ernesto built a theater in San Salvador de Jujuy, Argentina in 1901. There is an article about him and this theater on the internet written by Elena Leonardi Cattolica de Gimenez.

Any ideas about how I could find her or other family members would be much appreciated.
fcatelotti
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Family in Argentina

Post by fcatelotti »

Hi, Roadlawyer!
See:
* http://213.212.128.168/radici/ie/defaultie.htm (You've got to register, but it's free. Write "Leonardi" solely.)
* http://www.apellidositalianos.com.ar (Free.)
* www.cemla.com (This is not free.)
Good luck! Bye!
Roadlawyer

Post by Roadlawyer »

Thanks so much for the info. I'm curious about dropping the second half of the name since this is not a maternal/paternal surname situation as in Spanish speaking countries (at least not since 1760). In the US, they always try and drop the first part of the name. Drives me crazy, but at least it's better than Cattmary Leonardi which was my name all through college according to the roster.
fcatelotti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fcatelotti »

Don't mention it!...
Concerning not writing the second half of the name, I just suggest it in order not to omit any possible results.
Regards!
Roadlawyer

Post by Roadlawyer »

Well that was pretty amazing! A quick search on Apellidositalianos.com and I found Ernesto's granddaughter and great granddaughter. It's s toss up who is more excited, them or me. Thanks again!
fcatelotti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fcatelotti »

I'm glad to read that!
juanciari

Post by juanciari »

Roadlawyer wrote:I'm looking for family in Argentina with the name Leonardi Cattolica.

My grandfather was Pasquale Leonardi Cattolica, b.Naples, 1854.
His brother, Ernesto b. San Giorgio a Cremano (Naples), 9 April 1860 immigrated to Argentina sometime before 1901.

Ernesto built a theater in San Salvador de Jujuy, Argentina in 1901. There is an article about him and this theater on the internet written by Elena Leonardi Cattolica de Gimenez.

Any ideas about how I could find her or other family members would be much appreciated.
Well, I´m from Tucuman, a city 300 km southern from SS de Jujuy and my grand mother was daugther of Ernesto Leonardi Cattolica, who died in 1910, while he was traveling to Italy with three out of his 8 sons (Sofia, Elisa and Mario) and his body was drop away into the sea. Which was been told from my grandma Sofia. Then, they was living with their aunt Pascuale...until she return Argentina.That was when I was 12, and I´m 53... and a lot of interesting histories I used enjoy during my childhood.
A few months ago I recived two pictures from a cousin from mine and I understand those was sent from you, which I did not know.
Roadlawyer

Post by Roadlawyer »

Another cousin!! I would love to communicate with you. Sofia Leonardi Cattolica and I have been writing to each other for many months now and have become great friends.

My father was Pasquale's younger son and would have been about 10 or 11 when Ernesto's children lived with them. Did you know there are other cousins still living in Italy?

I am hesitant to leave my email address on this forum, but Sofia has it and can give it to you so we can write to each other. I am 63 and live in the San Francisco Bay Area, although we are retiring to Rome in the summer of 2009
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Roadlawyer.........on the left under members options you'll see members list.......click that and you will get the list of all users for the forum. When the list comes up select sort by date joined then select descending. Juanciari should be one of the first names. Click his user name (light blue) and it will bring him up with an option to PM (private message) click that and you can send him a private message with your email address.

Remember when you put your email address to leave a space before and after the @ symbol so you won't get spammed and tell juan to remove the spaces.

Hope this helps.
Roadlawyer

Post by Roadlawyer »

Thank you Elizabeth! I'm new to this forum thing, although if I'd spent a moment looking around I could have solved my own problem.

What an amazing resource this forum is. I have found an entire branch of my family through the assistance of its members, a family I wasn't even sure still existed. Thank you everyone.