Altieri, Grosso, Jacaruso, Viglione, Fina, Martini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tangerinedesigns

Altieri, Grosso, Jacaruso, Viglione, Fina, Martini

Post by tangerinedesigns »

Hi
I am researching my husband's family tree- and have hit a momentary standstill.

I am looking for relatives of/and or info about:

Carmella (surname?)Altieri- spouse unknown? B: 1848 Foggia
Son Joseph M Altieri B:1881 Foggia D 1935 Allentown Pennsylvania

Son Joseph M Altieri married Madeline Grosso 1908
Madeline was daughter to Joseph Grosso {B: Foggia, D: USA} & Louise (Jacaruso) Grosso {B: Foggia, D:1948 USA}

Joseph M Altieri & Madeline (Grosso) Altieri raised 5 children in Allentown Pennsylvania.

Joseph M Altieri immagrated to NY 1899
Madeline Grosso & her mother Louise (Jacaruso) Grosso immagrated in 1902. word is: Louise's husband Joseph had immagrated earlier: and conflicting stories say he either A. Past on early or B. Remarried and had more children without Louise's knowledge. If A- ok- just want to know more, and B- heard he raised his new family in Waterbury Conn.

Ok- here is more:

Pasquale Viglione
{son to Michael Viglione & Rose(Martini) Viglione} immagrated 1903 to NY- married Alfonsina Fina (parents?) who had already immagrated to NY in 1900. Alfonsina Fina was one of 14 siblings.
Pasquale's brother: Giovanni Giacomo Viglione B:1883 immagrated to NY
and moved to Reading PA- and changed his name to Williams {as the Pennsylvania Germans/Dutch couldn't pronounce his name and referred to him as Williams?)

Pasquale & Alfonsina were married and had baby Rose born in the USA.
Rose married Alexander Altieri (son of Joseph M Altieri & Madeline (Grosso)Altieri.
Alexander & Rose Altieri are my husband's grandparents.

After Rose past on in 1969- Alexander remarried: Mary Spallone from NY whose family is from Foggia as well. Mary's grandmother is Maria (Jacaruso) Spallone- sister to Louise Jacaruso as mentioned above.

If anyone shares any part of this tree- I would love to hear from you!!! I am really trying to gather as much information as possible and all details are important.
Thanks!
Trish :wink:
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Altieri, Grosso, Jacaruso, Viglione, Fina, Martini

Post by brujaojos »

[quote="tangerinedesigns"]Hi
I am researching my husband's family tree- and have hit a momentary standstill.

I am looking for relatives of/and or info about:

Dear Trish,

Don't know if you saw the 1930 Federal Census for Joseph Altieri. He is listed with his wife and children. The children are Ellen - age 21, Alexander - age 19, Louise - age 17, Carmille - age 15, Joseph - age 13.

Joseph was born about 1881 and was 27 when he married. Madeline was born about 1891 and was 17 when she got married.

Carmela, the mother, was living with them and was 82 years old and a widow at the time. It states she came to the USA about 1902.

Hope this is a help.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

tangerinedesigns wrote:Hi
I am researching my husband's family tree- and have hit a momentary standstill. I am looking for relatives of/and or info about:

Dear Trish,

In the 1920 Census, Carmela Altieri is already a widow and is living with her daughter, Mary, and son-in-law, Antonio Adolino.

Also, per the 1920 cesus, Joseph Altieri was naturalized by 1917. You can write to Allentown, PA and see if they have his naturalization records.

Also, you can rent microfilm for the town of Foggia at the Family History Center. It's about $3.50 to rent the film. You can order the year of birth for Joseph to see who his father is.

Hope this is help.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
tangerinedesigns

Hi Trish,

Sorry for my delay- I thought this board would notify me by email when there was a response to my post. Sorry. :wink:

Alexander is my husband's Grand Father. I have his census info. I did see another Carmela and wondered if it was the same?
I am trying to figure out Carmella's maiden name- we seem to be at a road block with it.

Thanks for your help, I'll see if I can check into this daughter Mary as well as Joseph's papers.
Trish

Don't know if you saw the 1930 Federal Census for Joseph Altieri. He is listed with his wife and children. The children are Ellen - age 21, Alexander - age 19, Louise - age 17, Carmille - age 15, Joseph - age 13.
Joseph was born about 1881 and was 27 when he married. Madeline was born about 1891 and was 17 when she got married.
Carmela, the mother, was living with them and was 82 years old and a widow at the time. It states she came to the USA about 1902.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

You also might be able to send away for Joseph and Madeline's marriage application and/or the daughter, Mary's marriage application. The application list the parents names and hopefully you find the maiden name of Carmela.

The Marriage Application would also be in Allentown.

The address is

Lehigh County
Lehigh County Clerk
455 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18105
Telephone: (610) 782-3148

Have a good one.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
tangerinedesigns

Hi Trish,
Thank you so much! I will definately give that a try! That is a great idea! Your idea might really help me with other searching in different families- thanks!!! I'm new at this and it just didn't occur to me.
Thanks!!! :D
Trish
ps. I went to college in Phila- @Textile.
slacours

Post by slacours »

I am from Waterbury, CT- there are many descendents of people from Celenza here, including Altieri, Jacaruso and Grosso.
AnthemBassMan

Post by AnthemBassMan »

-Hello. I am also searching for Altieri's who came from Faeto, Foggio Italy. My G-Grandfather's name was Vito Altieri and he immigrated to the US in 1903 to live with his brother Leonardo in the Canton, OH area. Vito settled in Dover, OH and worked at the blast furnace here. He married Edda(Edith) Marie Fazi here in Dover too. My Grandpa, Paul, was the youngest of their four children.

-I found Vito's passenger record on the Ellis Island site and that was great! But now I am trying to back track and find out what his parent's names were. My Aunt is the last one from her family and she is going to be 96 next month. So while she can remember some things, there is still quite a bit she has forgotten over the years.

-If anyone has any info on Vito, Leonardo, or their other 3-4 brothers and a sister who are unkown at the time, I'd love to hear from you.

L8R,
Matt D.
bousejg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bousejg »

Hi slacours, I'm originally from Waterbury CT also and have Grosso relatives. There are many Grosso's that lived in Waterbury so not sure if any of them are related. The names that I have are Pasquale Grosso who married my grandmother's sister, Natalie Cianciulli. Please let me know if they are related to you.

I just spent 2 days at the Family History Center in Mesa Arizona looking up Geneology records.

The family names that I'm reseraching are the Bruno's, Cianciulli's and the Andreano's, all from Waterbury.
Gloria Freemon
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Hi, Trish,
If you would like, send me a private message and I will e-mail you. I think my husband may be related to you. Mary Altieri from PA is his cousin. His grandmother was a Spallone and his great grandmother was a Jacaruso. They were from Celenza Valfortore, Foggia and resided in the Waterbury area. I will give you more details via e-mail if you would like.

Ontop of that, I have some good friends who live in Celenza that are from the Grosso family. We keep in touch via e-mail and letters. Perhaps they are related to you?
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia