STRANO / MICALE / POLITO FAMILIES IN SICILY

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

STRANO / MICALE / POLITO FAMILIES IN SICILY

Post by bbango »

Hello, I've posted here before about my grandfather's family - and you guys have helped me out greatly and I appreciate it.

Now I want to find my more information about my grandmother's family - the Strano family.

My grandmother is Concetta Rose Strano who was born in Punxsutawney, Jefferson Co., PA. She married my grandfather Joseph Bango.

So my grandma's parents were Angelo Strano (b. dec 31 1880) and Josephine Polito (b. feb 2 1887). I have found them in the 1920 and 1930 censuses living in Punxy, PA. (both died in punxsutawney, jefferson co, PA)

On the census it says they both immigrated here in 1906 and the town that I know Angelo was from is San Pier Niceto, Sicily. As far as I know Josephine was from there also, but I have no proof.

My grandma told me that Angelo came to the states a couple years before him and Josephine were married (She says they married in Sicily). So I found an Ellis Island passenger, Angelo Strano who was 23 in 1903 who came with Pietro Spadaro and both were going to see Pietro Strano/Micale.

As a side note, Micale is the maiden name of Angelo's mother and I know that Angelo had a brother Peter who lived in the general area. My grandma told me that there was some sort of family fight and Peter took the maiden name of their mother, Micale. So this peter spadaro was going to see brother-in-law Pietro Micale and Angelo is going to see brother Pietro Strano in Walston PA - I'm assuming they're the same person.

So then my grandma told me after working here for a couple years, he wanted to get married and went back to sicily to find a wife. Then him and josephine were married and came back to the states in 1906 and had their first born Joseph Strano right after they arrived in the states.

I can't find passenger records for angelo strano or josephine (giuseppa or giuseppina) strano/polito for the year 1906. Can someone help me out?

Thanks!
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Re: STRANO / MICALE / POLITO FAMILIES IN SICILY

Post by bbango »

Also another question - I can find Angelo Strano in the SSDI but I can't find Josephine Strano, his wife. I'm trying to search all combinations... she died Sept 1972 in Punxsutawney, PA and was born feb 2 1887 in Italy.

Why wouldn't she be in the death index? Anyone know?
Surnames: Bonghi/Bongo/Bango - Strano - Sebastiani - Polito - Serge - Benigni - Micale - Mondi
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

A couple of records you didn't mention for Angelo Strano,
in case you dont already have them.

1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
(note: for the 1942 record, page 2 is a mislink -
it doesn't belong to Angelo Strano.)

Re: missing SSDI for Josephine Strano, perhaps
she didn't file for benefits, or her death may not
have been reported?
Rootsweb Help SSDI
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

Thanks, I did not have the WWII registration card.

And I'm not sure if she filed for benefits, I suppose I just assumed she should be in there.

I sent for both Angelo's and Josephine's death certificates today so hopefully in the next few weeks, I will get those back.

And I will also write for both of their obituaries from local newspapers.

I still can't find a 1906 immigration passenger record for either of them. What other ports were there besides NYC and Boston? (I've checked both of these).

thanks
Surnames: Bonghi/Bongo/Bango - Strano - Sebastiani - Polito - Serge - Benigni - Micale - Mondi
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Oh my!
There were quite a few ports in the US,
two likely ones could be Philadelphia & Baltimore.
Another possiblity is thru Canada.

It is also possible their names are badly mis-spelled,
and/or the year may be a bit earlier...

Are you 100% comfortable that they didn't marry
in the US? No doubt you've seen the records for
Polito's from S Pier also traveling to Walston...

Valarie
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

Well, no I can't say I am 100% positive they were married in sicily. This is what my grandmother told me. She said that Angelo came here first, and worked here for 2 years. Then he returned to Sicily to find a wife because he wanted to get married. Then him and josephine got married and came back and had their first child right after arriving in the US. So this is the story as I know it, and the 1903 arrival of Angelo and then the 1906 date for both of them on the 1920 and 1930 censuses seem to go with this story. But who knows - I will look for a marriage certificate.

I did not notice Politos that are traveling to Walston.. Could you tell me the names ? Her name is Josephine so she could have gone by Giuseppa or Giuseppina, I would suppose.

Tonight I also went to a nearby Family History Center. I am looking for microfilms to order from Italy because they don't have much of Italy stuff on site. Grazie!
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

From the Ellis Island site it seems there was only one Politos travelling from S. Pier Niceto to Waltson.....

Polito Giuseppe - Age 15 - arrival Mar 25, 1902 - Last residence S. Pier Noceto - final destination Waltson PA

Maybe a relative of Giuseppa??

:oops: I'm not able to link the manifest.... sorry... but you can find him on the site...
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
The search I did for Polito's was on
the One Step Ellis Island site: Steve Morse Gold Form
- I put in for location, s pier niceto
as a sounds like
- for name, I put in pol as a begins with
Note: if you haven't tried this before. You can search for
location only on this form, it's especially helpful if you think
there may be a name error

I hesitated to put up the manifest that pink67 :D found above,
because it listed 'Giuseppe' as a male,
but the age & location were correct...
May be worthwhile to check out both lines 16 & 17 and who
they were joining. This is a very round about way of finding
the information you're looking for, but if you have the time,
you never know :wink: .

1902 Polito manifest

Valarie
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

thank you, pink67 for the response.. I did find giuseppe polito.. maybe he was a brother or cousin, perhaps? I'm not sure really, but there were many people from that manifest from s. pier niceto - kinda cool.

la ricerca continua
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

Thank you Valarie for the help. I'm going to try doing some searches on this site - and using different ports. hopefully i can find something!

I sent for their death records and obituaries, so maybe the next document to get would be angelo's SS application or naturalization records.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

We're always happy to help!
Sometimes it helps to research folks with your
family names from the manifests (going the same
place) and see where they ended up on census
& other records.
It's a neat exercise when you're stuck. You never
know who may be living with who or may be living
next door.
By the way, I've been assuming you have access
to ancestry.com? If not, please let us know so we
can run down stuff for you.
Also, have you started tracking down your family's
Italian records?
Thank you for the updates & let us know what we can
do to help.
Valarie
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

I do have access to ancestry.com (I'm on the 14 day free trial right now)..

and actually last night i went to a FHC (first time there) and I found some microfilms, but they didn't have any on site - so I will have to order some.

I'm going to try to get a microfilm for 1880/1 for Angelo's birth.. 1887 for josephines birth and 1905/6 for their marriage.. Hopefully the obituaries and death records will be helpful!!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I sent for their death records and obituaries,
so maybe the next document to get would be
angelo's SS application or naturalization records.

and actually last night i went to a FHC (first time there)
and I found some microfilms, but they didn't have any on site
- so I will have to order some.

I'm going to try to get a microfilm for 1880/1 for Angelo's birth..
1887 for josephines birth and 1905/6 for their marriage..
Hopefully the obituaries and death records will be helpful!!

Wow :D ! Sounds like you really have a great plan!
Angelo's SS Application should help a lot.
Noticed in 1930 on his census that he hadn't naturalized yet.
Finding naturalization documentation should also
give you some more information on his second trip.
The details you'll find on your microfilms should give you
terrific insight to your family in Italy!
Please keep us updated and let us know what we can
do to help :D !
Valarie
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

Well i got some obituaries for both angelo and josephine and a bunch of their children.... but to verify some things - they did get married in Italy (doesn't say town name), on Jan 21 1906.. And they arrived here in america sometime that year (but before november, because their first child was born here on Nov 15 1906).

Also Josephine's parents names where Vincenzo e Maria (Mondi) Polito. Some good finds!! Hopefully their death certificates will shed some more light.
dexter

Post by dexter »

I JUST FOUND THIS SITE AND I AM ALSO , DOING RESEARCH ON THE POLITO"S AND STRANO'S.IN THE SAME AREA AS YOU, WALSTON,PA.
I HAVE AN OBITUARY FOR JOSEPHINE STRANO FROM THE PUNXSUTAWNEY SPIRIT AND YOUR LAST POSING IS INTERESTING.