Italian Military

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rg1905
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Military

Post by rg1905 »

Does anyone know about the Italian military abt. 1900 to 1905? I'm trying to attach a photo of my grandfather from Naples in the Italian Military. I don't know if it will go through. I am having trouble with attachments. :roll:
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Italian Military

Post by daveferro »

Hello,

What kind of information are you looking for? My cousin found our grandfather's Italian Army Discharge papers and associated documents in a toolbox in the basement. I have scanned these and would like to upload them, but I have had trouble with attachments as well.

A while back, I started websites on Juno and Geocities (Yahoo) but only had time to put in a few pictures. I think I better get back to them and then use a link.

Anyway, the paper is long and has ornate printing: it's from 1902 and he came here the following year. One good thing is the second page, which listed his parents' names. Now we know great granma's maiden name, and grandpa's birth date for sure. We more or less knew the home town.
Also now we know who aunts and uncle were named after.

Along with the discharge papers, there was a "Libretto Personale" or personal book, which listed various rules, and a check list of items he was issued. We found out how to spell a word our relatives used: "Moo-dons" or long underwear, which turned out to be mutande, or underclothes shorts. This book was made of animal skin and had a small metal plate (looks like lead) with his name and number sewn in the back page. Also attached is a "Libretto di Tiro" or shooting book, a record of target practice. This is dated 1894, when he was 14, so they started early before any induction.

As far as finding any records, one of the other posters might have some suggestions. Keep an eye out for similar posts as yours and I will look too.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Amazing, I can't believe you have such incredible artifacts.
My grandfather was in the second world war in Italy, I don't have anything except a picture of him in uniform. He was a farmer but knew how to cut hair and fortunately they kept him around to cut the "big guys" hair. I have stories that he told and my father remembers but nothing else. I think it is wonderful that you have such incredible momentos and keys to the past.
Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Melina and rg1905,
We are very very lucky that our grandfather's papers were not ruined in the basement and other items in the attic. I gave the papers to my Uncle Sam Bissi, but now he can't find them; the kids will have to look for them. I did make copies and scanned them. I would like to upload and will have to ask the moderator.

I wonder if there are any papers available in Italy for your grandfather, Melina. We also have photos of relatives in the Italian army WWII and after. Some were alpine troops with the feather in the cap; well they were from the Apennines, so it was logical to use them as mountain troops.

My cousin Stan's father was in Italy during WWII and has some pictures of Anzio, Salerno, Rome and other towns, some with destruction. He stayed
with a family in Naples, but there do not seem to be any photos from there. Also some postcards of Italian sites, and some French postcards (nice ones) to my aunt. Most have been scanned for cousins and the local history museum, where luckily the curator studied in Italy and she is my translator.

rg...can you say what info you want? I wish I could send you attachments so you can look them over. I'm sorry if I diverted your topic away from what you are looking for. I am sure someone here can help. I just did a search for Italian Military and found quite a few.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Dave, they sound very interesting. I would love to see some of the images, try sending them to my email account bonefro@shaw.ca and see if they come through.
Melina
rg1905
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rg1905 »

Here is my alternate email rg67125@aim.com . If you want to reply to that email address I will attach the picture. I'm curious to find out the significance of the uniform they wore, like you were talking about in your post. :D
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Melina and rg,
I sent some pics last night and then scanned some more today and sent out. I couldn't do all because I had to leave and also the flash drive was full ... even after deleting alot.

I wish I could post them here as they are examples of the types of documents, such as passports and military papers. The photo of great uncle Joe seems to be calvary, as he has high boots and what look like spurs. The other are of great uncle Elio in 1941 and an earlier one.

Still looking for the one with the alpine hat.

Hope you enjoyed them. If anyone else wants copies, I will send them.

Dave
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Thanks for the great files Dave,

They were very interesting and prompting me to wonder if anyone knows if there is a way to get old files from Itlay for people who served in the war, WWII mostly?
Who would I write to or where would i look? Any ideas?
Melina
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Melina..

If you would like to email me the attachments of your military papers I can upload them here for you.

Some boards here do not allow attachments but they do allow you to link using an uploading image service such as imageshack or photobucket.

You can request papers from the Italian Archives for your ancestors. I probably missed it, but where was your relative from?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Hi Nuccia,
My family is from Campobasso italy. I don't have any files to upload they were files that Dave was sending to share with me of his family..
I will try your suggestion to look into getting info from the Italian Archives.
Melina
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Nuccia,

I have found the imageshack site and will use that. Actually finally noticed that others were posting that way and I didn't figured it out.

I wanted to send you the same pics and documents as I did Melina and rg, as you and others might find them interesting and helpful. Should I send to your e-mail or just use imageshack here?

In any event, I want to share them.

Melina,
Use Ask or Google to search for Italian Military Records There are a few, but sometimes disappointing: they could say they have the records but send you elsewhere or be expensive.

Dave

Dave
rg1905
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rg1905 »

Nuccia,
Hi! How do you go about getting records from the Italian Archives? Do you send money or wait till they ask?I Googled Italian Archives and found an address for Avellino, Italy, which is where my Grandmother is from. My father says she was born in the town of Avellino in Avellino Italy.
Rita
Guarino/Guarini, Campolongo, Tacinelli, Monaco, Iandolo, Festa, De Lisa,
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Dave,

You can post them here so everyone can enjoy them..me included! Thanks, I'd love to see them.

Rita, I wouldn't send any money, just a request. Make sure it is written in Italian though and it might be a good idea to send some stamps and a self addressed envelope.

:D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
rg1905
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rg1905 »

Thanks Nuccia
Rita
Guarino/Guarini, Campolongo, Tacinelli, Monaco, Iandolo, Festa, De Lisa,
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

No problem, Rita.

Will you let us know how you make out? I just got some of my family member's military records..its pretty amazing to see.

Good Luck!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database