Marriage Certificate from Louisiana 1893

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage Certificate from Louisiana 1893

Post by yjg1111 »

I am looking for a marriage certificate for my great grandparents who were married in January 1893 supposedly in Baton Rouge, LA. I have written to the Baton Rouge vital statistics and requested a copy but they sent back a no record. This is my last document needed for dual citizenship requirements so would like to find this. Can anyone help me? I would be willing to pay for a professional geneologist if need be. I have no idea where to start looking even for church archive records. Groom: Salvatore Milazzo/Malazzo/Milazza. Bride: Louise/Luigia/Louisa/Lucia Zuma/Zummo/Zumo. I have copies of declaration of intent to naturalize which gave me this information. I can scan and send copies of what I have to someone willing to undertake this search for me! Thank you so much everyone.
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Marriage Certificate from Louisiana 1893

Post by sazzlynn »

I can check the Baton Rouge Diocese Records for you. I'm going to the library tomorrow and I'll let you know what I find.
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yjg1111 »

Thanks so much. I would really appreciate that!
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

I found them!!!
Louisa Zuma, native of Palermo, Italy (parents:Joseph Zuma and Louisa Laroque) m. 8 Feb 1891 Salvatore Melazzo, native of Palermo, Italy (Joanne Melazzo and Rosaria Terme) witnesses: ___(illegible) Johano, Francisco Melazzo (SMI- 18, 236)

This record is from the Baton Rouge Diocese Archive index vol. 18, however the original document is from St Michael Catholic Church, Book 18, page 236 in Convent(town), St James Parish (county), Louisiana. You can request a copy of the church record from the diocese archives or the civil record from St James Parish.

Please remember that the old records are hand written and frequently illegible. The transcribers don't change spellings from the originals, so the names may not be exact. For example Terme is probably Termini(an italian name found frequently in this area).

I also found these records:
John Melatzo(parents: Salvatore Melatzo and Louisa Zuma) bn 9 Aug 1892, bt 5 sept 1892. sponsors: Nino Zuma and Beppa Zuma (SJP - 13, 21) St John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Plaquemine, LA, book 13 page 21.
Antonino Melasso (Salvatore Melasso and Louisa Zunia) bn 7 April 1900 bt 6 May 1900 spo. Vincentio Melasso and Guiseppa Zuma (SJP 13, 192)
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yjg1111 »

Sazzlynn--YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much. I am always amazed at how the discrepancies pile up with these old records!!! How many different ways can you spell a name!!! Anyway, I can't thank you enough. You are truly a geneology magician! It is like a puzzle, isn't it? Anyway, have a great day as you have certainly made mine!!
yjg1111
Rookie
Rookie

Post by yjg1111 »

Sazzlynn, did the record you found indicate there was a civil document? Or would they even mention that. Would the book and page number from the church be helpful for the civil courthouse to find a record? Thanks.
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

The index I checked is only church records and civil records may or maynot be available. The book and page numbers only apply to the church records. It is fairly easy to get a certified copy of the church record from the diocese archives. It costs $10. I haven't worked with St James parish so I don't know how organized their record system is.