How can I find information on a license plate?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gallo1975
Rookie
Rookie

How can I find information on a license plate?

Post by Gallo1975 »

Hi all.. in an old picture dug up from the depths of the family shoeboxes.. I found an old picture of two men loading up the roof of a car. The type of car is unidentifiable. This pic is in black and white and handwritten on it was: Italy 1948. The licence plate in the back of the car is readable, is shaped like a square and it reads:

BN

BN = the Provincial Code
3505 = the Progressive Code

In the years 1927-1932, plates were issued with the Progessive code BEFORE the Provincial code, so I know this plate DOES indeed date post 1932. Therefore I will deduct that the person who wrote he country and year knew that to be factual.

Now what I found out was the BN stands for Benevento-which coincides with what I know about my paternal gggrandparents, ie, Morganelli, and Aniello/Aiello. The plate is also a black background with white letters/digits.

Anyone know how I can look up the Progessive Code to see who the plate was issued to?

Thanks!
Always looking for info on: Gallo, Perillo, Stelatto, Morganelli, Cutarelli, Aniello/Aiello, Langella, Garitta/Aritta, Hayward, Nicolson & will be happy to swap info too!
Gallo1975
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How can I find information on a license plate?

Post by Gallo1975 »

*bump*

Just bumping this to see if anyone who has joined recently can shed any light on this. Thanks!
Always looking for info on: Gallo, Perillo, Stelatto, Morganelli, Cutarelli, Aniello/Aiello, Langella, Garitta/Aritta, Hayward, Nicolson & will be happy to swap info too!
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

In Italy there is the Pubblico Registro Automobilistico (PRA) managed by the Automobil club d'Italia (ACI) where every vehicles must be registered....
I know that from 1990 it was digitalized but maybe you can write and ask if there is an Archive for old plates.
This is the link for the ACI office of Benevento:
http://www.up.aci.it/benevento/

and this can be helpful to understand... (if the plate is most recently you can ask for a "visura al PRA" directly on line, paying with credit card, don't know with old plates....)

https://online.aci.it/fornituradatiweb/index.asp

If you need help with the translation .. I'm here! :D
Ciao.. Laura
Gallo1975
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gallo1975 »

Oh thank you Laura! Looked at the site and I have no idea where to begin seeing my Italian is as good as my Chinese!

Well I found the email address and telephone numbers to such place:
Ufficio Provinciale ACI di Benevento
Via Patrizia Mascellaro
Tel.: 0824 - 355411
Fax: 0824 355426
e-mail: ufficio.provinciale.aci.benevento@aci.it

I do want to email them to tell them of my interest is finding out more of this plate I refer to in the original post. What, do you think, are my chances of writing to them in English?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

:D Ciao Gallo1975 !

I sent you pm.... have you read it ??

Laura