Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: Auburn, New York
Contact:

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by daveferro »

vj,

Well, found out why the manifest for my grandmother has Boston crossed off and New York typed in: the ship continued on from Boston to NYC on that voyage. Thanks to Lou Alfano's website, which I found out about here.

Also the Steamship.org website which has a section about ports; the part about Boston notes the advantages: From Steamships.org:
Boston’s hold on immigrant traffic¹
Boston offers to steamship lines serving the United States exceptional inducements to bring their through immigrant passengers via Boston. These inducements are: a shorter ocean voyage to Boston; an inland rate to the West $1.00 under New York, free piers in Boston with spacious quarters for handling immigrants; finally, examination of immigrants on the piers where they are landed, without the necessity of transporting these passengers, at steamship expense, to a union immigrant station for examination. At New York, after the steamers have docked and cabin passengers are landed, steeragers must be barged to Ellis Island. At Boston western immigrants may be sent inland from the steamship pier. The smaller number of immigrants landing at this port permits the immigration officials to give more time and courtesy to the examination of the new arrivals than is possible in the crowded station at Ellis Island. Because of these conveniences in Boston," the port enjoys a growing popularity, among immigrants. The best publicity among prospective immigrants in Europe consists of letters from their pleased countrymen who have entered at Boston.

Still have to find when grandfather came the first time and also when the Nervinos came, which was to Castle Garden before 1891. I will try to upload the passports here tomorrow so you can see them. Also the baptismal certificates, which have the Italian Consulate stamp on the back. This could be another source of information.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
User avatar
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: Auburn, New York
Contact:

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by daveferro »

Essgee,

Finally can show the passports for Francantonio Nervino (I think that's what it says; seems to be more letters in the first name). My mother and her cousin do not know who this is, though obviously a relative. You found that he went to Providence RI and I will have to search there to find a connection. Can anyone read his father's name?

Image

As for Pietro Nevino, the cousin says he heard that he had been adopted, but they don't know if he retained his surname (as I did) or took his new family's name. He also said that Pietro is buried above his daughter Maria Incoranata, who died in 1900 or so.

Image

I made the mistake of asking Calvary to look at 1903, the date of the bill, as I did not have the death certificat info from you yet.

Image

Not much luck at Calvary Cemetery: Jim Murray (a FindAGrave contributor) sent a photo, but the location for Nervinos there do not have gravestones. This was a common occurence, according to Jim, because of finances, esp. during the Depression.

We also have a hard-bound booklet that is a membership guide for the Harlem Shooting (Tiro) Club. Pietro's address is inside and the back has a list of members. I will post later.

There are two baptismal certificates: one for Raffaele Nervino, my mom's father that has the bottom left quarter missing; and one for Maria Antonia Nervino, same name as the mother, but they do not know her. No one ever mentioned her.

Image

These have the Italian Consulate stamp on the back, so I will check them next.
I hope these will help find more info and also help others as examples.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by vj »

Finally can show the passports for Francantonio Nervino
Can anyone read his father's name?

Father Ignazio?

As to Francantonio Nervino, I cannot find him on Ellis,
even though the passport is stamped
"May 8, 1896 Ellis Island."

1896 manifest
line 62?
User avatar
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: Auburn, New York
Contact:

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by daveferro »

vj,

I saw your reply on the Ciarla topic too. Yes that's him alright. So how did you wizards find these manifests? Is it not on Ellis? Kind of chewed up too. Any idea what the ship was? (sigh)

Anyway, looking at the other passport for Ciarla Maria Antonia di Raffaele and the children, I can see that the first letter for the father is an I, like that of Incoronata. The rest looks like Igsroto; the 't' not being crossed like in Antonio.

Even Francantonio looks like there are more letters in the middle: Francescantonio, doesn't it. I assume this passport was filled out by an Italian. An American doing so would explain the spellings, but...

If this is a brother to Pietro, then we have the father, though a cousin said they heard Pietro might have been adopted. Maspeth put up a gravesite photo on FindAGrave for Pietro and for a Frank Nervino (and Jim Murray put photos too).

Turns out the stories were true: Pietro was shot in Italian Harlem on 11/30/1902. I picked up my cousin Mary Ann at the train station today and she was very interested. Maybe when she gets back to NYC she'll go to the cemetery. I will post a first communiion pic of her and my other cousin-who-is-like-my-older-sister, Connie (Concetta).

Well, now I'm up to two quadtrillon-terathanks to you.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
User avatar
BillieDeKid
Master
Master
Posts: 1207
Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Illinois

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Dave,

The document where you couldn't make out the name looks like Ignoto which means "unknown"

The other document, at the end of the first paragraph says
il rispettino morito e padre Nervino Pietro
which mean much respect for deceased father Pietro Nervino

You may want to post these two documents on the translation forum and get some (much better than I) to give you a definate translation and the meaning of the translation.

Elizabeth
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by vj »

So how did you wizards find these manifests?
Started with Ellis Island, switched to ancestry.com

Is it not on Ellis? Kind of chewed up too.
Any idea what the ship was?


The passenger manifest on Ellis was a bad
link earlier today.
This is the Ellis Island transcription :wink: :

First Name: Francesantonio
Last Name: Nardino
Ethnicity: Italie
Last Place of Residence: ...
Date of Arrival: May 08, 1896
Age at Arrival: 23
Gender: M
Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Patria (1894)
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0062
---

This is the transcription from ancestry.com

Name: Francesantino Nervino
Arrival Date: 8 May 1896
Estimated birth year: abt 1874
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Patria
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_658
Page Number: 2
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by Essgee »

Great job, vj.....great job!
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by vj »

Oh my!
It certainly is fun to be a member of this team :D .
Valarie
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by Essgee »

Not sure...but do you have this...and does this apply?

Antonia Nervino, 1910 Census

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9987 ... 910rx5.jpg

On thing I have noticed, Dave...both the 1900 and 1910 census of Providence has a lot of ink damage...where pages bled and now there are just large black splotches. So they might be listed, but impossible to read. I looked for years for an Uncle with no luck. Now, a good place to go is the 1900 city directories for Providence.

Will see what else might be out there...I did find a Francesco Merlino born 1874 arrived 1896....but not sure who is who in his family to determine if it should apply.


Back Later.
User avatar
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: Auburn, New York
Contact:

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by daveferro »

Everyone,

Again I am grateful and amazed at how quickly results were found. At every opportunity, the forum is passed on to anyone with the slightest interest in family history (also Amici and Gente). They say it must be expensive but I say they certainly would like a donation (to the website that is). And the fact that everyone is so nice sells them.

Our family has been very lucky to have so many documents preserved and we want to share them. I have made copies and scanned as much as possible.

Has anyone seen these types of documents? They are beautifully printed and full of information.

Elizabeth, yes I think you are right. Relatives have said Pietro might have been adopted. More digging in Italy for that.

vj, now I have the info to follow Francesantino Nervino and I will get into the Providence files. It doesn't help that my foster mom's father took the name Frank Nervino (and then Nervina), close to the other Frank Nervino.

essgee, I have seen the census and my mother recalls the people on the street, including my maternal grandparents across the street (and my birth mother).

I have been uploading photos to connect the documents with the people. These are behind Frank Nervina's barbershop, with Andrew Fortunato on the left, who tended bar, perhaps part time) at Greco's Tavern down the street; Teresa DeFabian (a cousin) on the chair which we still have; my mom only remembers the lady's first name : Mary.

The building on the left is the outhouse. There are stories about that. Corn growing in the background; where are the tomatoes?

Image

With admiration,

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
User avatar
savoni04
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 15:29
Contact:

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by savoni04 »

I am a great grandaughter of Charles Nervino from San Sosti Italy any info would be great. More names I would love info on LaCava ...Sagulo-Savoni-Saulo...Fusaro..ty for any help
User avatar
savoni04
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 15:29
Contact:

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by savoni04 »

I found a manifest for Gaetana Nervino & Maria Nervino
User avatar
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jun 2006, 00:00
Location: Auburn, New York
Contact:

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by daveferro »

Hi,
I will check on any Nervinos in San Sosti...sorry for the delay in responding. Computer on the verge of being dropped from window.

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
User avatar
savoni04
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 15:29
Contact:

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by savoni04 »

any more news?? anything on Nervino's or Sagulo's ???
User avatar
Terri31478
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 04 Sep 2008, 18:37

Re: Ferro-Bissi-Testa & Nervino: Any relatives in Italy?

Post by Terri31478 »

Essgee wrote:Not sure...but do you have this...and does this apply?

Antonia Nervino, 1910 Census

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9987 ... 910rx5.jpg

On thing I have noticed, Dave...both the 1900 and 1910 census of Providence has a lot of ink damage...where pages bled and now there are just large black splotches. So they might be listed, but impossible to read. I looked for years for an Uncle with no luck. Now, a good place to go is the 1900 city directories for Providence.

Will see what else might be out there...I did find a Francesco Merlino born 1874 arrived 1896....but not sure who is who in his family to determine if it should apply.


Back Later.
Francesco Merlino is my Great-Grandfather. What info do you have on him?

Thanks, Theresa
Post Reply