Italian Genealogy
I have just received my Italian Passport. It is my first one, and it was attained Jure Sanguis, following a long but obviously fruitful 10 month process.
I live in the UK with my wife, who was born in Nepal but is an Australian citizen. We have been married for 5 years. I used your website to determine the documentation I need to gather in order to register my wife as an Italian citizen, and will commence this process now.
One of the initial steps is to request "Estratto Per Riassunto Dell'atto Di Matrimonio"... which as I understand it is a certificate of registration of my marriage in Italy. I have several questions that result from this.
1. When I registered my own citizenship, I had to provide a copy of my Australian marriage certificate with appropriate apostille to the Comune of Lipari (where my citizenship is registered). Does this mean that if I write to them for the Estratto Per Riassunto Dell'atto Di Matrimonio, they will know what I am requesting and can provide on the basis of documentation presented.
2. Do I write to "Ufficio di Stato Civile" or "Ufficio Anagrafe"
3. What if I don't get a response? Is there a local authrity in the UK I can approach?
4. Is it really necessary to have all other documentation translated into Italian?
Regards
Lou
Italian Citizenship for Spouse
- msebastian10
- Newbie

- Posts: 23
- Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: Sydney
Re: Italian Citizenship for Spouse
ahh, your ancestors are from Lipari? - my wifes family is from Lami 
Let me guess, your family in Australia is from around 5 dock area?
I got my ITalian citizenship and I asked at the time, your wife is entitled to it as well after a certain amount of time (fairly sure 5 years is sufficiant)
Your best bet is to ring the consulate, they will tell you all you need to know.
Let me guess, your family in Australia is from around 5 dock area?
I got my ITalian citizenship and I asked at the time, your wife is entitled to it as well after a certain amount of time (fairly sure 5 years is sufficiant)
Your best bet is to ring the consulate, they will tell you all you need to know.