NYC Spanish Flu epidemic 1917

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
anechoic

NYC Spanish Flu epidemic 1917

Post by anechoic »

my granfather's first wife died from influenza during the outbreak of Spanish Flu in Manhattan NYC 1917.
Her name was Vincenza Fuligni and was born in Norcia Italy May 4 1896. She came with her family to the US in early 1900's and settled in Manhattan.

Shortly after she married my grandfather both she and their baby died from influenza in 1918/1919.

I have been trying to locate her death certificate with little luck - probably due to a misspelling of her name by the doctor.

So there is no DC in the Manhattan Vital Records under either her maiden or married name. And I've searched the NY Times for obits and wasn't able to find anything there.

I know from her descendants that Vincenza died at home under her mothers care. So she did die in Manhattan and it was

I am not sure how to proceed with my search but need to provide the DC to the consulate here in SF in order to get my Italian citizenship process completed.

If appreciate hearing any suggestions (caveat: I've taken most of the obvious routes) in locating death records of people who died during the Spanish Flu epidemic.

Also, which cemeteries might she have been buried in?

thanks in advance!
Kim Cascone
misbris
Master
Master

Re: NYC Spanish Flu epidemic 1917

Post by misbris »

Do you have any idea where they lived? A street address might lead to a local parish church? Were any of the children in school? Have you found them in a census? Does the ship's manifest show a friend or an address?
What was the maiden name?
anechoic

Post by anechoic »

Do you have any idea where they lived? A street address might lead to a local parish church? Were any of the children in school? Have you found them in a census? Does the ship's manifest show a friend or an address?
What was the maiden name?
they lived on Pleasant Ave in Manhattan
their only child was 5 months old when he died from influenza
yes found them in a 1915 census
1920 census was after she died so my GF shows up in the Bronx at that point
ship manifest was some years before she married my grandfather
maiden name was Vincenza Fuligni
married name was Vincenza Cascone
:)
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

anechoic wrote:they lived on Pleasant Ave in Manhattan
their only child was 5 months old when he died from influenza
yes found them in a 1915 census
1920 census was after she died so my GF shows up in the Bronx at that point
ship manifest was some years before she married my grandfather
maiden name was Vincenza Fuligni
married name was Vincenza Cascone
Hi there,

Can you tell me when Vincenza was married? I did find this marriage information listed below, but wasn't sure if that is your ancestor.

Name - Date of Marriage - Certificate Number - County - Soundex

Fulini, Vincenza - Oct 28, 1917 - 28601 - Manhattan - F450
Cascone, Salvatore - Oct 28, 1917 - Manhattan - 28601 - C250

Here is death information that I found on the surname Cascone dying between 1915-1920.

Name - Age - Death Date - Certificate # - County - Soundex

Cascone, Adelaide - 34 y - Jun 23, 1919 - 21745 - Manhattan - C250
Cascone, Anna - 21 y - Oct 20, 1918 - 24101 - Kings - C250
Cascone, Carmelo - 40 y - Feb 6, 1917 - 1328 - Bronx - C250
Cascone, Francesca - 4 y - Jan 21, 1920 - 2606 - Manhattan- C250
Cascone, Louisa - 3 y - Jul 26, 1915 - 14589 - Kings - C250
Cascone, Remo - 5 m - Dec 28, 1918 - 43931 - Manhattan - C250
Cascone, Rose - 23 y - Feb 18, 1919 - 7219 - Manhattan - C250
Cascone, Ursula - 84 y - Feb 16, 1916 - 1269 - Bronx - C250

By any chance do you know the cemetery that Vincenza is buried? You can call the cemetery and ask for her death date. Once you have the death date, than you can try to get the certificate.

If you don't know the cemetery, do you know if her husband is buried with her? maybe you can find out his information in order to find her information.

Still thinking,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Don't know if this can be of any help, but I thought I would share it.

http://www.ny-archdiocese.org/records/burial-records/
anechoic

Post by anechoic »

Trish: wow you're good! :) yes that is them!
I actually have a copy of my grandfather's marriage certificate -- I got this while I was in Manhattan doing research on Chambers St last August. What is strange is that when I searched on Ancestry.com (I have a paid account) I didn't find anything w/r/t my grandfathers 1st marriage.
q: Did you find the name under Fulini (as you spelled it) or Fuligni? That particular misspelling hadn't occurred to me - which is odd since it makes total sense.

misbris: thanks for the link!
I just found the church where they were married in Manhattan
http://www.mountcarmelofeastharlem.com/history.html
Our Lady of Mt Carmel of East Harlem
I'll call them tomorrow and see if they have any records of deaths
it is right around the corner from where my grandfather and Vincenza lived on Pleasant Ave.

thanks for the help and support!
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

brujaojos wrote: Name - Date of Marriage - Certificate Number - County - Soundex

Fulini, Vincenza - Oct 28, 1917 - 28601 - Manhattan - F450
Cascone, Salvatore - Oct 28, 1917 - Manhattan - 28601 - C250

Hi again,

The name was spelled FULINI in the NYC Marriage Index.

Here is the form to get a marriage record.

http://www.italiangen.org/ny_marriage_application.htm

When you call the Church, ask if they have Parishioner records. These records would list information about the family while they lived in that particular Parish. The record, if kept up-to-date, could list dates of birth, marriage dates, confirmation dates, baptismal dates, and even dates of death.

Keep us posted to how you make out!

Also, I'm a bit confused! Was Vincenza's Salvatore's first wife, or second wife?

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
anechoic

Post by anechoic »

Vincenza Fuligni was Salvatore Cascone's first wife
who died in 1918/1919 from influenza
he married again in 1920 to my paternal grandmother

thanks for the tips on calling the Church!
1 smile 4u:
:D
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daveferro »

Hello,

Having just PM'd about my mother and aunt having survived the 1918 Spanish Flu and seeing this topic was one surprise, but then seeing the area in NYC and the Church was another. My (foster) mother's family lived there in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Her father was baptized at Our Lady of Mount Carmel; we have the original certificates for him and a sister.

You will probably talk to Father Kelly who sent us copies of baptismal certificates. We really wanted death certificates, but he pointed us to Calvary Cemetery in Queens and they did a search of their microfilms, but I had the wrong date of death. They might try to look up by phone, but will also ask for a written request. Be sure to ask for a search of both 1918 and 1919, otherwise you will have to write again. You said in one post that they died in 1917, then 1918/1919. They did not charge for this, but for the names of others in the gravesite, did want a payment.

They found another Nervino which I posted to FindAGrave and luckily two people responded, Jim Murray and Maspeth. They both posted pictures of the Frank Nervino whose exact gravesite we got from the cemetery. Maspeth also went to the archives and finally found the site for Pietro, my mother's grandfather. No gravestone though and I'm told this is common.

You need the grave number etc to add a gravesite to FindAGrave, then request a photo. Hopefully you will get Jim or Maspeth to help.

I found a Brunetta F Fuligni 1902-1963 at Long Island National Cemetery:

Brunetta F Fuligni memorial

There were 13 Cascones interred in Suffolk County, but all after 1964.

Finally, I read a book by Gina Cascone about growing up in New Jersey called Life al Dente.

I'll e-mail Maspeth about your post and am sure the wonderful people here will help you as they have me.
Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
anechoic

Post by anechoic »

Dave
thanks for the help and info...it is a small world sometimes and places like this help make connections that shrink the world even further -- and that connection is a very cool thing! :)

I meant to say the Flu Epidemic was in 1917
Vincenza's baby died Dec 30 1918 and she soon afterwards which I'm assuming was probably in 1919 given the proximity to the new year.

Thanks so much for your tip! I will call and ask Father Kelly for info about Vincenza. Since she was married in Mt Carmel and lived around the corner on Pleasant Ave I'm assuming services for her might have been held in that church. And I notice that the late Father Rofrano is buried in Calvary as well. So that is a logical place to continue looking for her.

Yes Gina is a distant cousin of mine on my father's uncle's side. I haven't read her books but know she is very well respected as an author.

thanks again and ciao!!
:D
anechoic

Post by anechoic »

I called Mt Carmel and was told to send a written request although - so I guess I'll send a letter asking if they have any records of either death or burial for Vincenza Cascone in 1918 and/or 1919.

then I called Calvary Cemetery and was told that they can only search by exact date since everything is still on microfilm.

All I need is the death certificate for Vincenza then I can proceed with getting my dual citizenship.

Anyone know of a genealogical private eye? It's hard trying to locate this document on the East Coast while I'm on the West Coast
:(
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I was surprised to find out out that cemetery records that I was looking for have been microfilmed by the LDS. I'm going to order them tomorrow. It is worth checking out, their records are by last name.
anechoic

Post by anechoic »

misbris wrote:I was surprised to find out out that cemetery records that I was looking for have been microfilmed by the LDS. I'm going to order them tomorrow. It is worth checking out, their records are by last name.
did you go to a local LDS Family History Center and request the records from Salt Lake?
curious...
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I just called them today. I am so lucky, they are less than a mile from my home. I have to go in in person to order the records and it will take 3 to 4 weeks and cost $5.75 per. The woman on the phone was lovely and I am very excited about the process. I never look into it before because my family's towns in Italy have not been recorded yet. They even have evening and week end hours. :o
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

misbris wrote:I just called them today. I am so lucky, they are less than a mile from my home. I have to go in in person to order the records and it will take 3 to 4 weeks and cost $5.75 per. The woman on the phone was lovely and I am very excited about the process. I never look into it before because my family's towns in Italy have not been recorded yet. They even have evening and week end hours. :o
Hi There,

I'm curious to ask, what Family History Center did you call in NJ? I volunteer at the one in Cherry Hill, NJ.

Just curious!
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum