To learn Italin culture and history

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Russo-Demetros

To learn Italin culture and history

Post by Russo-Demetros »

I have joined the Italian Genealogy Community in March of this year. I have always had a love to learn the culture and history. My father grew up in Chicago in the 20's.

I would like to know if anyone has the time just to chat and talk about the culture, the food, and the music. It would be much appreciated.

I have another e-mail address besides this one and that is kodell11@cox.net

I would love to learn the language, perhaps at a time when a person can learn in person.

Again, thank you for letting me join the community.
Karen
misbris
Master
Master

Re: To learn Italin culture and history

Post by misbris »

Welcome,

I have learned so much just by checking into the website everyday. There is always so much going on. Just jump in. Is there some family member you would like to research? Some custom you would like to learn more about? Some part of Italy you are interested in? Post in a category and someone will respond.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Here's a link to an article on Italians in Chicago

More information on Chicago's Italians.
http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/1999/iht629936.html

http://www.the-pagorias.com/heights.htm

Lots more out there. Just google "Italians in Chicago".

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Russo-Demetros

Post by Russo-Demetros »

I want to thank everyone on the replies for the request of history from Chicago. These will be very useful.

I still have a few questions, my grandmother when she was married to Russo their address at that time was 2756 Trumbull Cicero, Ill. My brother and myself have a copy/letter when Mr. Russo was in the military if there is any remaining family members to Mr. Russo.

My grandmother also was married to Salvador Demetos/George Dillion/Porky Dillion. There are some pictures of my grandmother with Mama Demtros and others while they were in Hot Springs, Ar.

It is my brother's goal as well as myself to get my grandmother's history. There was two sons, one disappeared when he was small.

Any family members who may be still alive, please contact us.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Karen,

If you can give us a little more information about your grandmother, someone here may be able to help. What was her name, first and maiden?
Do you know where in Italy and/or when she came to the US. When were her marriages? What was Mr. Russo's first name and where was he from?
Names of the children?

Mary Jo
Russo-Demetros

Post by Russo-Demetros »

Mary Jo,

My grandmother maiden name was Coleman. Her father was from Manhattan, NY Xalvar Coleman, he was a news reporter. in the early part of the 1900's.

My grandmother hid alot of information of my father's identity and took that information when she passed away.

My grandmother was married several times and associated with a lot of older members of Chicago gangs in the 1920's.

My grandmother was married to Dillon, I believe Russo first name was John. Mr. Russo was murdered at his home. My father knew and was raised around Capone's brother. My father had a nickname of Buddy.

I have some proof of these people but what is important is that my grandmother would not ever state anything about my father's father.

My grandmother's first name was Mary Gladys and she would go by Pat or Patsy.

We have a cookbook where Big Jim Diamond signed to her when she was married to Dillion.

The name I use of Demetros is because on a lot of trips to Hot Springs, Arkansas she would have pictures of her with "Mama Demtros" and there were some pictures. My brother and I have some, unfortunetly I had some that were stolen.

On one of her pictures with my dad as a young boy, she was married to Russo in Chicago. In fact, the address was 2456 Trumbull and was in Cicero.

I could go on with more information but this should be enough to see if I can get some help.

The importance here is my real grandfather, my father was told if my grandmother talked about him that he would be took away from her. One son was already took away.

Any of this sounds familiar to anyone it would be great. My dad's name was Joseph Lyle Stratton or Edward Wrigly Stratton. He was never told which one he was. I do remember he had a friend in Westmont named Whitey.

Thank you
Karen