Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Hi
I have attached an extract from a Birth Act as I am having difficulty with the two words highlighted under profession (for the informant and mother respectively). Both words look to me like 'campara' but cannot find the word in any dictionary. Can any one translate it for me please?
I think that it does not refer to occupation. Rione is the word before it, and that usually refers to the section from which the person comes. Rione or contrada or sestiere.
Hi Nola
It's definitely occupation. The word 'professione' is split on the document on the upper line; on the lower one you can read the first part of 'professione' but I greyed out the last part to make the word I'm having trouble with stand out more clearly.
Paul
I made a mistake. I think he was a campanaro, one who rings the bell for the Town or church, or he could have been a bell maker. (Fonditore di campane.)
November 2nd is All Souls' Day,a Catholic feast dedicated to the memorial of the dead which, according to tradition, can be dated back to ancient times. This day, in almost every country, the dead are remembered with different rituals and customs, yet the aim is just one: give some consolation to th...