Commisario Straordinario

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EricRJones

Commisario Straordinario

Post by EricRJones »

I posted the following the History folder:
I have a news article from The (London) Times, 4 Oct 1849, which says "On the 23d, one Biancani, lately in the service of Garibaldi, was shot at Bologna."

I'm a descendant of Luigi Biancani, born in Ravenna, 8 Dec 1869. Luigi's father was Vincenzo Biancani and Vincenzo Biancani's father was Ercole Biancani. There was an Ercole Biancani who assisted Garibaldi during the summer of 1849. See http://www.capannogaribaldi.ra.it/trafila/8_12ag.htm

Biancani is a fairly unusual name, so I have some concerns that my G-G-G-Grandfather may have been shot. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find additional information on this incident?
I found a Ravenna death certificate for Ercole from 1876, so it appears he wasn't shot (at least in 1869). However, Ercole died in Lampedusa. Lampedusa is a tiny island in the Med, which was home (among other things) to a penal colony. Since Lampedusa is about as far away from Ravenna as you can go and still be in Italy, I'm guessing he was a prisoner (possibly military I suppose). He died at the relatively young age of 54, which is another indication he wasn't traveling there on vacation.

I have a couple of question:
1. I'm going to order the film with the Lampedusa records on it, but for now I only have the Ravenna certificate. It indicates Ercole's death was initially reported to someone with the title Commissario Straordinario. What does this title mean?

2. Ercole's occupation appears to be listed as "Studente". Could that have been used for politeness sake to mean prisoner?

Thanks for any help,
Eric
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Commisario Straordinario

Post by BillieDeKid »

Commissario Straordinario - Extraordinary commissioner
Studente - Student

These are both literal translations of the words. My guess is that the commissioner was the registrar

As far as a man, age 54, being called a student........I can't even guess.

Can you post the document? Maybe one of the Italian genealogists can look at the document and tell you exactly what you have.

Regards,
Elizabeth
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

Abitually the Commissario Straordinario is the substitute of the Major when this last one has been dismissed before the time.
EricRJones

Post by EricRJones »

I'm just learning how this image uploading thing works. Here's the death certificate of Ercole Biancani.