LaMantia to Argentina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

LaMantia to Argentina

Post by gerald325i »

I'm a descendant of a "Vito" LaMantia who emmigrated to Argentina from somewhere in Italy (most likely from Termini-Imerese since that is the origin of the surname, but still waiting for LDS films to come in and research there). This Vito went to Argentina in the early 1900's and his wife Lucia Rinaldi (Age 24) followed in 1906 with their first son Pietro Paolo LaMantia, born in 1900. These two travelled on a steamer called "Florida" as shown in passenger manifests. My Grandmother Paula, and siblings, were born in 1914 in Buenos Aires, but their names were wrongly spelled as Lamandia, Lamandía and Lamantía.

I am searching:
1) Actual location where Vito and Lucia were from in Italy (Termini?)
2) Complete name of this "Vito" (Vittorio, Vincenzo or Vito?)
3) Birth date would be great, but having the town I can do the rest.

Additional info: Lucia Rinaldi was born 14 Apr 1882, don't know where and her father was Giuseppe Rinaldi.

Scrvite anche in Italiano! Posso capire tutto! :)
Escribe en Español si deseas :)
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Re: LaMantia to Argentina

Post by gerald325i »

Ok, my grandma now recalls her father Vito La Mantia talking about Nicosia, Sicily. I checked with LDS and the civil records go from 1821 to 1865. He would have been born in around 1880. Does anybody have any clue as to where else I can look for birth information?
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Gerald

Edit........Sorry, I just went back and read her birthday. Doesn't match nor her father. I'll leave the info in case you'd like to look. Sorry again, my bad.

I found Lucia, her parents and all her brothers and sisters. I posted the long information, I don't know if the actual link will work. I will try posting the link at the bottom of this post.

FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0 Southwest Europe
Family Group Record
Search Results | Download

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Husband
Domenico Rinaldi Pedigree

Birth: 16 MAR 1811 Nicosia,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Marriage: < 1838> Nicosia-Catania-Sicilia, , , Italy
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wife
Francesca Fiorenza Pedigree

Birth: < 1817> Nissoria,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Marriage: < 1838> Nicosia-Catania-Sicilia, , , Italy
Death:
Burial:

Children

1. Lucia Rinaldi-Fiorenza Pedigree
Female

Birth: 17 FEB 1839 Nicosia,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

2. Lucia Rinaldi-Fiorenza Pedigree
Female

Birth: 13 JUN 1841 Nicosia,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

3. Orazio Rinaldi-Fiorenza Pedigree
Male

Birth: 10 NOV 1843 Nicosia,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

4. Concetta Rinaldi-Fiorenza Pedigree
Female

Birth: 24 MAY 1846 Nicosia,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

5. Vincenzo Rinaldi-Fiorenza Pedigree
Male

Birth: < 1848> Nissoria,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

6. Giuseppa Rinaldi-Fiorenza Pedigree
Female

Birth: 09 MAR 1853 Nicosia,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

7. Filippo Rinaldi-Fiorenza Pedigree
Male

Birth: < 1855> Nissoria,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

8. Domenica Rinaldi-Fiorenza Pedigree
Female

Birth: 02 MAR 1856 Nissoria,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

9. Giuseppa Rinaldi-Fiorenza Pedigree
Female

Birth: 23 JUN 1858 Nissoria,Catania, , Sicilia, Italy
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... search.asp

I hope this is helpful. She and her family are from Nicosia (as you can see). I'll keep searching for Vito. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Elizabeth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Here is a map, to show you location of Nicosia. It's in the province of Enna.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/086/012/mappa.html
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Here is the military listing for Nicosia from 1840-1913. I believe italian men had to register for the military so you may be able to find something in this film.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... rio+di+Nic++
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

Yeah, too early for my Lucia Rinaldi.

Great information about military records. do you know at what age men had to register? that would help me get the right film. I'm calculating his birth at around 1880.

I had already looked at Nicosia using Google Earth, thanks!

Gerald
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

That I'm not sure of. I do know that my grandfather was born in 1889 and he had to register by 1908 so he would have been about 18. So if the birth year for you is 1880 I'd start looking at 1897 to 1898. I went back and looked at the years for the films and it jumps from 1879 to 1910 so I don't know if you'd find anything or not.

Maybe someone on the site with more experience with the military records can jump in here and help out.
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

Update: After a search of my grandmother's birth act in Buenos Aires:

Paula LaMantia (b. 1915 In Argentina) is the daughter of:
"Victor" LaMantia (b.Abt.1872 in Italy) and Lucia Rinaldi (b.14 Apr 1882 in Italy)

- "Victor" LaMantia is listed as being the son of Pietro Paolo LaMantia and Gaetana Fiorenza

- Lucia Rinaldi is listed as being the daughter of Giuseppe Rinaldi and Paola LaMagna

I AM STILL UNABLE TO FIND OUT WHERE THEY CAME FROM IN ITALY. ANY HELP IN THIS AREA IS APPRECIATED. I have seached LDS, have membership on Ancestry.com and searched family trees, etc. nothing.

Note: "Victor" is most likely Vittorio, Vito, or Vincenzo in Italian, and have searched all of them. If anyone here has access to the Termini-Immerese database, I would appreciate a search there.

Gerald
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

Found! The baptism record for Pietro Paolo La Mantia, son of Vito LaMantia and Lucia Rinaldi in Nissoria, FHL Film # 2213578, #99/1899 (page 419. He was born on 6 August 1899.)

:)
Thanks to Ancestry.com's expert connect and some $$
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Are you still looking for military records from Provincial CapitaL ENNA and form letters requesting military records?? =Peter=
~Peter~
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

I have not tried that yet, for now I don't see the need, since birth records are still available. Now that I know WHERE to look, I can get the LDS films. Do you have anything readily available?

Gerald
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Certainly do...Archivio di Stato di Enna, Sezione Militare, Via Scifitello 20, 94100 Enna, Sicilia, Italy

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html for form letters.

suerte =Peter=
~Peter~
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Help translating birth/church record from latin

Post by gerald325i »

I need help translating this birth record, it looks like a church record to me but not sure if it is baptism.

It is from Nissoria, Enna, FHL Film # 2213578, #99/1899 page 419

See file attached
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The file is not there...
You should upload it to any hosting system and provide the URL address in your post...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Since your in Albuquerque you can show the document to any spanish speaking priest (most priests in NM know Spanish). The format used for the document and the similarity of the language would makeit easy for any Spanish and/or/Spanish speaking priest to know what the document represents should you run into difficulty in projecting the image fromyour PC.

You can also run it by the employees at the LDS family history library as well. =Peter=
~Peter~