Need Help! Joseph (Guiseppe) Virzi ship manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Need Help! Joseph (Guiseppe) Virzi ship manifest

Post by lilbees »

I located Joseph Virzi in the 1900 Census living with his father Alfonzio in Chicago, IL. He apparently came to the US with several of his children. The census states his arrival as 1898.

The 1910 and 1920 Census says his arrival was in 1900. He had a child born in 1901 here in the US. He had a son born in Jan 1898 in Gabes, Tunisia. Logic says he should have had an arrival some time in that year and/or 1899, 1900.

I cannot locate Joseph or his children in the manifests either in Ellis Island or Ancestry. His wife apparently came later (Maria Angelina Virzi (Rescigno) I have tried to locate any or all of them but with no luck. Needless to say I have poured over many, many manifests. I have located Alfonzio's arrival in 1891 with his wife Augustina.

Thanks for any help you can give.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Need Help! Joseph (Guiseppe) Virzi ship manifest

Post by vj »

for reference
1900 census
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

In the 1900 census. Joseph is listed as son. It would be easy to think he is Salvatore's son but in fact he is his brother (born 1964). Rosalie is Salvatore's wife. But I am still stuck locating the passenger manifest for Joseph and children. I have Salvatore's manifest but he did not accompany any of Joseph's children. Only his wife.

One thing I learned is that Salvatore's full name is Alfonso Salvatore similar to his father. I have found census listing him as Alfonso and as Salvarore. People sure switched the names around at times.

Hope you can come up with more for me. That would be great.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

Here is a possible manifest. Giuseppe is traveling with someone and they are both going to Chicago.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3762/1 ... estbj6.jpg

Name: Giuseppe Verze
Arrival Date: 3 Jun 1893
Estimated birth year: abt 1867
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Neustria
Search Ship Database: Search the Neustria in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 50
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_610
Page Number: 4

Still looking
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Looks pretty good. His father Alfonzio (b. 1845) arrived in 1891. I thought I had tried every spelling known to man. I guess I missed this one. He would still have gone back to Africa to bring some of his family. Another possibility is a friend bringing some of the children. If so they may have gone under that person's name and not there own. I have names of friends they had in Gabes, Tunisia that may have helped but I have found none of his children traveling with any of them. His mother-in-law's maiden name was Angela Marno (Rescigno). But she never came to the US. But I checked if maybe they may have travelled under her mainden name. I also check to see if his wife Marie Angelina traveled under her maiden name. Again I am lost.

Many coming from Gabes came by way of Sicily, Naples, Marsielles, etc. So trying to pin down a departure city has been difficult in confirming who came from where. Most of the people I have found only listed "Italy" as their native country. I did find that my grandfather and great grandfather did in fact list Gabes as their native country on the passenger manifests.

I found there is a large Virzi family in Ohio, Buffalo NY, Tampa FL. A large group went to California but I have not been able to connect any of these families with Joseph or his father at this time.

I know Marie came to the US but still have not found her or the rest of the children born in Tunisia. All the family shows up on the 1910 census. Then I learned Marie was hospitalized in a mental health facility untimately dying there by 1944. The family split up. Joseph and some of the older boys stayed together per the 1920 census but could only find a few of the other children. I suspect they moved in with other family members or friends but nothing solid.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I am so dumb.

When reading the 1900 Census for Alfonzio and finding Joseph. assumed the some of the children were his. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

At least I know he came to the US first before his wife and family. It says on the census he arrived in 1898 along with some of the other children possibly Salvatore or Alfonzio Sr. I do have better luck when I print out the actual census and read every detail. This time I only skimmed it with the excitement of the discovery of Joseph in 1900.

Still needing help with his manifest. I can't think of any way to confirm that the 1993 Manifest is really him
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Joseph Virzi's childrens are:

Christina b. 1892 Gabès, Qabis, Tunisia
Angelina b. 1894 Gabès, Qabis, Tunisia
Jennie (Genevieve) b. 1896 Gabès, Qabis, Tunisia
Frank b. 1897 Gabès, Qabis, Tunisia
Mary (Mary Beatrice) b. 1899 Gabès, Qabis, Tunisia
Rose (Rosalie) b. 1903 Chicago, Illinois
Tony (Anthony) b. 1904 Chicago, Illinois
Sam (Salvatore) b. 1906 Chicago, Illinois

Maybe the above can help in finding them.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Lilbee's can you please give the names of Giuseppe's (Joseph's) children and if you know the approximate years of birth that would be helpful. Also I want to make sure that Maria Angelina Rescigno is his wife and do you know the approximate year of her birth?

Elizabeth
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

We just missed each other. I posted the birth years of all the children in my previous post.

http://debono.club.fr/mariagestunisie/mariages.html

RESCIGNO Angèle, VIRZI Joseph Gabès marriage year 1890 Gabes

The census of 1900, 1910 give the # of years married and that coordinates with the above marriage year. I am still looking for the 1930 Census. I believe he was in California by then. It is hard to distinguish him from the other Virzi in California although I think they all are related.

Marie Angelina b. 1875

I do have some actual birth dates and death dates of some of the children. I am still looking for the remainder. Our family had really sketchy information of the Virzi family. Marie Angelina is my Great Aunt. (I am a Rescigno.) I never knew she had been hospitalized being so young when my aunts and uncles were alive. I do remember some of them though.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Did Giuseppe have an uncle names Antonio?
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

You are now going to force me to look up Alfonzio's family other than his children. That's okay though. A lot of info for them is pretty easy to find.

I will let you know about Antonio. Hopefully, shortly.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

The reason I ask is I found a manifest for Giuseppe with his naturalization number (I believe) so he had been here before and it says his wifes name is Angela. I'll post so you can take a look, I'm hoping it's him. Birth year is about right for him. Line 17.

page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0017
page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0017

Elizabeth
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

It looks like it reads more like brother Antonio. He has a brother Alfonzio but not Antonio. 1909 seems a strange year unless he went to see his family in Africa for a visit. I just don't know.

His last child was born in 1906 so it may be possible.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Ok. I found two Ressingno's (Rescigno's) - Giuseppa and Vincenzo from Gabes going to their brother-in-law Giuseppe Verzi on Clark St. in chicago, IL.

1902 manifest

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0011
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

That one is correct. Since I know that the surname is usually mispelled I did find that one. It is correct since I have my grandfather's immigration papers which luckily had most of the information I needed and my Aunt Josie papers. They are brother and sister of Marie Angelina married to Joseph Virzi as referenced in the ship manifest.