census info please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

census info please

Post by gennattasio »

is it possible to search the census by year and address on the internet?
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: census info please

Post by daveferro »

HeritageQuest, which we have available online from our local library, does have a browse function, but it does not necessarily go block by block down a street. You may find yourself on the next street or blocks away and no way to know in advance. The census for NYC (and other cities) went by Ward numbers...if you know that, then you can at least narrow down the area and wander around and hope to find something. Can be very frustrating.

Usually better to search for the surname in the state or city and see if the first name (watch for different spellings and abbreviations) shows up and match the ages, also any spouse or child at same place. If no luck, try a general search no matter the city or borough; they may have moved.

Someone else with more experience probably has some other suggestions or sources.
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gennattasio »

Thanks for the reply. I figured out how to do it with Steve Morse's ED finder. I needed to search the building because the searches by name were giving me nothing and I knew the address they lived at. I found my father and uncle in the building age 6 and 15 under the most mangled spelling of our name I've seen yet. I would not have found them without this search by address. Excellent tool on Steve Morse's one step page. You can narrow it down to the block and it takes very little time to find the address on the census.
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeborahLar »

gennattasio wrote:Thanks for the reply. I figured out how to do it with Steve Morse's ED finder. I needed to search the building because the searches by name were giving me nothing and I knew the address they lived at. I found my father and uncle in the building age 6 and 15 under the most mangled spelling of our name I've seen yet. I would not have found them without this search by address. Excellent tool on Steve Morse's one step page. You can narrow it down to the block and it takes very little time to find the address on the census.
Thanks so much for this great tip. I can't wait to try it.

Deborah Aceto Larsen

reserching: Aceto, Buono, LoBuono, DiBuono, DelBuono,Ruocco, Martoriello, Luzzi, Apuzzo, Pizzuto