Patron Saints

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Patron Saints

Post by DeborahLar »

I understand from my family that many villages had their own patron saints. I found a reference to the Southern Italy Religious Society of New Haven in a book I am reading. Were these societies common place? It list's the Patron Satin of Minori where my Ruocco family ancestors were from as Saint Trofimena. It also has the patron saints for Scafati -S Maria Dellevergini, Amalfi, S. Andrea Apostolo, Castellammare-Saint Catello, and Atrani, Saint Maria Maddalena.

If anyone is familiar with the religious society or the paton saints I would like to learn more.

Proud to be an Italian American, Deborah Aceto Larsen

Researching surnames: Aceto, Buono (aka DelBuono and LaBuono), Martoriello, Apuzzo, Ruocco, Luzzi, Richo, Richio, Raccio
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Patron Saints

Post by misbris »

Every town /city in Italy has a patron saint. The most famous American example is probably San Gennaro, the patron saint of Naples whose feast is held every September in NYC.

In Newark,NJ where I grew up there were two societies The Mt. Carmel and the Montevirgine (not sure of the spelling) whose major purpose was to plan a 2 or 3 day feast or festival in honor of these patron saints. One of the major parts of the celebration was a parade where a statue was carried through the streets and money was pinned on ribbons and placed on the statue. When I visited my town in Italy in the 80's I saw the exact same type of parade. But it was lira pinned on the ribbons, not dollars.

There, of course, were many masses and religious aspects to the celebrations, but as as child it was the spectacle that I remember best.

Mary Jo
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

This is the list of Saint Patrons in Italy (click on a region and a list comes out)

http://www.enrosadira.it/santi/patroni/italia.htm

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

If you are from New Haven, you may be interested that in Waterbury in August, I believe, is the big San Donato festival. He is the patron of Pontelandolfo, Benevento, and there are many descendants of that town in Waterbury. You should try to go next year! The food is incredible.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia