Salmonese / Caruso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mikeaturner

Salmonese / Caruso

Post by mikeaturner »

Hi guys,

I am doing some research for my Nana. She was born here in the states and doesn't know much of her ancestry. Her parents migrated from Italy in the 1930.

Anyway my great Nana's Name was Ernestina Caruso. She was born in 1915 (S. Pietro In Guarano). I know she left Naples in 1938. My great Papa (Ernestina's Husband) came to the US a few years before that. His name was Louis Salmonese and was born in 1898.

Thats as far back as I can go. My great papa died before I was born and my great Nana passed away a couple of years ago.

Any help would be WONDERFUL!

Thanks
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Salmonese / Caruso

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

You should be able to find your great grandfathers birth act. And with that birth act you will have the names and ages of his parents (your great great grandparents).

First locate a Family History Center (FHC) near you. Here is the link -
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

I'm providing you with a link for microfilms you can order to view from the LDS church. I'm assuming Louis was also born in S. Pietro? If not let me know and I'll search for films of his comune. The films are the civil records of births, marriages and deaths from 1770 through 1910. You should be able to get a lot of info. The birth acts give you the childs name, parents names, ages, occupations and residence. Marriage banns give you the bride and groom, ages, occupations etc. and also their parents names and ages. Same with death acts. Here is the link

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... ato+civile++

Write down the film numbers and descriptions that you'd like to view. Go to your nearest FHC and order the films. Cost is approximately $5.50 per film and take 2 to 4 weeks to receive. You have to view at the FHC.

As for Ernestina you'll have to write to the comune and request a copy of her birth act. I don't know the correct address. Maybe another member on the forum can post that for you.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Elizabeth
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Some possible US records in case you don’t already have them

Ernestina Caruso Salmonese
1938 manifest
page 2

SS Conte Di Savoia, 22 Sep 1938 Naples to NY
Line 16
Ernestina Caruso Salmonese 23
- married
- born in S Pietro in Guarano
- in S Pietro in Guarano, brother Antonio
- destination Portland Oregon
- joining husband Luigi Samonese at 4615 SE 57th?? St

Louis Salmonese
1938 manifest

SS Rex 23 Mar 1938 Naples to NY
US Citizens
Line 16
Louis Salmonese 40
- married
- naturalized in Portland Oregon on 21 Jun 1928
- address 4615 SE 37th Ave, Portland
-----

1917 WWI Draft Registraion Card
Luiggi Salmonese 24
Clifton, Oregon
Born 31 Jul 1893
In Forio d'Ischia Napoli??
Declared intention to naturalize
Single
Fisherman Col. River Packer in Clifton
---

Oregon Naturalizations
Oregon Historical Records Index Detail Information
Case#:
Name: Salmonese, Luiggi
Date: 3/1/1919
Record Type: Intention/Naturalization
County: Clatsop
Source: County
Identifier:
Remarks:

Case#: V 8 1146
Date: 2/17/1920
Record Type: Petition/Naturalization
County: Clatsop
Source: County
Identifier:
Remarks: INS
---

1920 census
Home in 1920:
Clipton, Clatsop, Oregon

Name: Louis Salmonese
Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Single
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1910, Pa (filed 1st papers)
Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes
---

Oregon Death Index, 1903-98
County: Clackamas
Death Date: 14 Oct 1975
Certificate: 75-15095
Spouse: Ernest

SSDI
Name: Lui Salmonese
SSN: 541-18-xxxx
Last Residence:
97202 Portland, Multnomah, Oregon
Born: 3 Jul 1892
Died: Oct 1975
State (Year) SSN issued: Oregon (Before 1951)
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

mikeaturner,

Welcome to the Forum! Lots of great info provided from both Billie and VJ..You need to direct us from here and tell us just what kind of help you are looking for. Did you want to attempt ordering microfilm and viewing records at the Family History Library to see if you can find your relatives actually birth, marriage, death, etc acts, or did you want to explore alternative options, like the websites available online?

There are a lot of free and subscription sites on the net (many of which VJ used to find the records she posted).

Some great sites for you to visit are..

To view ship manifest records up to 1924 arriving in New York
www.stevemorse.org

a free site but you do need to register a user name and password to access the records.

For SSN and some census records as well as several other records..
www.familysearch.org

For most census records, as well as a complete "one stop" online genealogy site..

www.ancestry.com

Keep in mind, ancestry is a paid subscription site although it does allow users to view for 14 days as a trial period. Then you can renew it or cancel it.

I would also suggest downloading a genealogy software programs to help you keep track of all the info. Both the family search site has one and Family Tree Maker does have a starter edition available for free. Many others do actually so just google it and see what happens.

Hope this also helps a bit!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
mikeaturner

Post by mikeaturner »

Thanks for the info guys... And yes you did find both my grandparents. So now I just need to go back further and get their siblings (I have Antonio on my grandmothers side), and parents names. As both my grandparents are not here no one has any info past them.

I do have an ancestry subscription and use FamilyTreeMaker. I tried looking at ancestry for Italian census records, but didnt seem to find any. So is the next step contacting a FHC then?

Thanks.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

No, you won't find many Italian records on ancestry but what you might want to do is to go through the ellis island databases with those with your surnames and look at them all (include and account for mis spellings) and look for clues or similar names. Thats how I found two of my grandfathers siblings and a nephew. Of course, I did have lots of help with the last one (Thanks again, vj).

Once you've exhausted all your online possibilities, then yes, consider microfilms. Its a long process though. You will need to order and pay for them, and then wait for them to come in. Then you will need to book an appointment (most FHC are only open certain hours since they are usually run by volunteers). Viewing them can take quite a bit of time as well too.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
morellit415

Post by morellit415 »

Contact me.
mikeaturner

Post by mikeaturner »

Thomas,

Hey just sent ya an email!